Private Tour Guides in Halifax and St John, NB

Will there be any opportunities to get private tour guides in the ports at Halifax and St John? We will be there in early Sept and would like to see as much as possible but Ship tours don't always allow for that. Any information at all would be appreciated. We would be 4 adults. thanks

If you want to make sure you have a private tour in these ports, I would reserve one to meet you at the pier. Lots of companies on line to look at and that way you will have an itinerary set for what you want to see.

Will there be any opportunities to get private tour guides in the ports at Halifax and St John? We will be there in early Sept and would like to see as much as possible but Ship tours don't always allow for that. Any information at all would be appreciated. We would be 4 adults. thanks

In Saint John taxi drivers offer tours at CDN $50 per hour. Along Water Street there may be vans and cars offering private tours - vehicles must have an "H" as the first letter on the license plate - otherwise don't hire them.

Acey, thank you for the reply. Besides Bay of Fundy and Reversing Falls, what else do I want to make sure I see? And how long should I plan on doing a tour with a taxi driver? If it is easier, you can email me direct at cruella@comcast.net

I appreciate the help you can give me about your lovely city!

Acey, thank you for the reply. Besides Bay of Fundy and Reversing Falls, what else do I want to make sure I see? And how long should I plan on doing a tour with a taxi driver? If it is easier, you can email me direct at cruella@comcast.net

I appreciate the help you can give me about your lovely city!

I don't recommend a taxi tour - for $18 you can take a 2 hour guided bus tour stopping at all the places you will want to see in the city, including Reversing Falls, Fort Howe and Carleton Martello Tower among other places. It is offered by the local transit authority and leaves from Loyalist Plaza a couple blocks from ship. The main attraction is the old area where the ship docks - all easily accessible by foot - including some of the oldest streetscapes in Canada, Imperial Threatre, Saint John City Market, King's Square and the Loyalist Burial Ground. If you do go by taxi, I would count on 1.5 hours to 2 hours.

I don't recommend a taxi tour - for $18 you can take a 2 hour guided bus tour stopping at all the places you will want to see in the city, including Reversing Falls, Fort Howe and Carleton Martello Tower among other places. It is offered by the local transit authority and leaves from Loyalist Plaza a couple blocks from ship. The main attraction is the old area where the ship docks - all easily accessible by foot - including some of the oldest streetscapes in Canada, Imperial Threatre, Saint John City Market, King's Square and the Loyalist Burial Ground. If you do go by taxi, I would count on 1.5 hours to 2 hours.

Acey

Just a few more questions. Does the guided bus tour go to Fundy also? Is there someplace I can find out the schedule of the buses and the times they run ahead of time? Do we need to contact the bus tour company ahead of time or can we just walk on the day we are in St John? It would be nice if we could do a bus tour early on and then walk to the old area you mention. Are they close to where the ship docks? Lots of questions - I really appreciate your taking the time to answer. Again, if it is easier to email me cruella@comcast.net

Thanks again

Acey

Just a few more questions. Does the guided bus tour go to Fundy also? Is there someplace I can find out the schedule of the buses and the times they run ahead of time? Do we need to contact the bus tour company ahead of time or can we just walk on the day we are in St John? It would be nice if we could do a bus tour early on and then walk to the old area you mention. Are they close to where the ship docks? Lots of questions - I really appreciate your taking the time to answer. Again, if it is easier to email me cruella@comcast.net

Thanks again

Saint John is on the Bay of Fundy, so I assume you are wondering about "walking the ocean floor" - that is St. Martins which is 50 minutes away by car. The bus I mentioned does not go there. You would need to purchase an excursion from Freedom Tours http://www.freedomtours.com/content/151140, rent a car or hire a taxi to go there. (or purchase excursion from ship)

The bus tours offered by local transit authority is first come first serve and they leave at 9:45 and 12:45. Loyalist Plaza where the bus leaves from is very close to ship and there are ambassadors that will direct you to the right spot. Hope this helps!

Saint John is on the Bay of Fundy, so I assume you are wondering about "walking the ocean floor" - that is St. Martins which is 50 minutes away by car. The bus I mentioned does not go there. You would need to purchase an excursion from Freedom Tours http://www.freedomtours.com/content/151140, rent a car or hire a taxi to go there. (or purchase excursion from ship)

The bus tours offered by local transit authority is first come first serve and they leave at 9:45 and 12:45. Loyalist Plaza where the bus leaves from is very close to ship and there are ambassadors that will direct you to the right spot. Hope this helps!

This does help. I am still not clear on the Bay of FUndy, though. You say it is right there..so what am I going to see, just water? Or is there someplace on "Bay of Fundy" i will want to go specifically? thanks! I hope I don't sound too clueless LOL!

This does help. I am still not clear on the Bay of FUndy, though. You say it is right there..so what am I going to see, just water? Or is there someplace on "Bay of Fundy" i will want to go specifically? thanks! I hope I don't sound too clueless LOL!

Saint John harbour is off of the Bay of Fundy (part of the Atlantic Ocean). Because the bay is funnel shaped, the tides are very dramatic - the highest in the world. In Saint John where the ship docks, tides rise and fall 25 to 30 feet twice a day. So depending on the tide schedule, you could exit the ship in the morning at high tide and when you come back it's like someone pulled the plug in the bath tub and the ship is sitting alot lower - many people take morning and evening photos of the ship to highlight the difference. At low tide you can "walk the ocean floor" as they say and that can be done in the village of St. Martin's. There are sea caves also to explore. There is no opportunity to walk the floor in Saint John. If you can do it depending on tide schedule, try getting to Hopewell Rocks which is further away from Saint John. See: http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

Saint John harbour is off of the Bay of Fundy (part of the Atlantic Ocean). Because the bay is funnel shaped, the tides are very dramatic - the highest in the world. In Saint John where the ship docks, tides rise and fall 25 to 30 feet twice a day. So depending on the tide schedule, you could exit the ship in the morning at high tide and when you come back it's like someone pulled the plug in the bath tub and the ship is sitting alot lower - many people take morning and evening photos of the ship to highlight the difference. At low tide you can "walk the ocean floor" as they say and that can be done in the village of St. Martin's. There are sea caves also to explore. There is no opportunity to walk the floor in Saint John. If you can do it depending on tide schedule, try getting to Hopewell Rocks which is further away from Saint John. See: http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

Thank you so much. Lots of good information and links for me to look at before Sept - I appreciate the help.

Acey

My parents are taking this cruise the first week of October and my Mom's mobility is limited to a walker--is there transportation from the dock to the tour that you mention

Thanks

Acey

My parents are taking this cruise the first week of October and my Mom's mobility is limited to a walker--is there transportation from the dock to the tour that you mention

Thanks

If their ship docks at the new Marco Polo Terminal (aka Pugsley), it's a 1000' from the terminal to Loyalist Plaza on a flat surface. If they dock at Long Wharf, there is a complimentary shuttle to Loyalist Plaza. To find out where their ship docks, refer to this schedule: http://www.cruisesaintjohn.ca/visitsaintjohn/cruiseschedule.asp

According to the transit authority's web site, the last day tours are available is October 3rd.

Acey

In looking at the maps of Saint John, it looks like the Harbour passage trail goes to the reversing falls. Do you know how far a walk it is? Thanks

From the start of the trail at Market Square to Reversing Falls is approximately 2.5 miles. Once you reach the Bentley Street Pavilion, you have a choice of continuing a direct route to Reversing Falls along Chesley Drive (the trail only goes 500 or more feet) then you have to walk along a sidewalk up to the Reversing Falls Bridge and across the bridge to the lookout. Alernatively, at the Bentley Street Pavilion you can cross Chesley Drive and walk up the hill to Douglas Avenue. Turn left and walk to the Reversing Falls Bridge (scenic and historic street which I recommend).

Archived