New Brunswick, Halifax. Excursions or on my own?

Hello, We reserved a photography tour in Halifax through Princess about 4 hrs long. We will visit Peggy's cove and Citadel. I heard Peggy's cove is an hr away from the cruise terminal. We did not booked any excursions in Saint John. Dh was thinking about the jet boat rides not sure if it's worth it. We definitely like to see the bay of fundy and the reversing falls. Do you think we can do this on our own? We like to visit the city and do sightseeing.

Thanks for any advice.

Sonya

Hello, We reserved a photography tour in Halifax through Princess about 4 hrs long. We will visit Peggy's cove and Citadel. I heard Peggy's cove is an hr away from the cruise terminal. We did not booked any excursions in Saint John. Dh was thinking about the jet boat rides not sure if it's worth it. We definitely like to see the bay of fundy and the reversing falls. Do you think we can do this on our own? We like to visit the city and do sightseeing.

Thanks for any advice.

Sonya

Saint John is very "do it yourself" friendly. Jet boat rides and reversing falls are easily accessible by walking, bus or taxi. Trinity Royal section of the city where the ship docks is a photographer's delight.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for any advice.

Sonya

Just back from Triumph.

Originally I was planning just walk around after getting from the ship. But after reading some reviews, I am glad that I booked both tours with Carnival. We were blessed with fantastic weather, so walking around for my 8 year old would be too boring and hot.

In St. John we went to St. Martins and Bay of Fundy. Because of the low tied, we were able to get to the caves. Also they took us to Reversing Falls at the beginning of the trip and at the end so we saw what the difference the tied can make. We had a lunch by the Bay of Fundy (choice of clam chowder, vegetable soup or just chicken fingers).

Clam chowder was great. Barbara, our guide, is the resident of the Bay of Fundy, was very knowledgably.

In Halifax we were on the tour to Peggy’s Cove. Beautiful place and we glad that we went there. Well worth it $ 40 per person ($ 30 for kids) and 1 hour bus ride.

My advise- take the tour in both places.

We had a blast last yr.St. John's,NB has nice park w/old graves + lovely flower beds.The river walk is long to reversing falls + may miss the phenamena of falls if low tide.People r truly pleasant thru out the ports.Walk thru city first, ship for lunch and to reversing falls-2-3 miles oneway.have FUN;)We r cruising NCL Jewel Sept.30,'09 40 days!

Thanks for any advice.

Sonya

We booked the jetboat ride directly through the company, it was about half the price that we would've paid through the cruiseline. A taxi only cost $8.00 each way so we still came out ahead. Afterward the taxi dropped us off downtown so we could poke around the shops, and then it was an easy walk back to the ship.

Archived