Can you bring wine in your checked luggage?

krikir

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if we could bring wine in our checked luggage to La Guardia airport. We are flying in from Canada for our cruise on Aug 13, and I have heard that you are not allowed to bring alcohol into the United States, yet you are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per person on the cruise.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Happy cruising!

Not a great idea. Some airlines have rules against it. A mess for your luggage, and other passengers, if the bottle breaks. Properly pack the wine and you'll lose a lot of luggage space. Too easy for your bag to go overweight. It only makes sense if you have a special bottle of wine you want to bring.

Princess doesn't restrict you to one bottle, check your passage contract.

Some suggestions:

1) Buy your wine in the United States. Generally NY prices for wine is the same (or less) then Canadian prices.

2) Buy duty free wine at the airport, assuming you get to the airport early enough. They'll generally deliver the wine as you board the plane. Just make sure you have room in your carryon bag for the wine, or at least one passenger can use the bag as their personal item.

I don't know what the customs limit is on wine brought into the United States. I know US residents are allowed to bring 2 750 ml bottles of wine into Canada.

I don't think packing wine in luggage is such a great idea...you're taking a gamble it won't break. If packed well, it might will come through ok, but there's that chance that everything in your luggage could be ruined, plus possibility of others' luggage being affected as well.

Why not stop on the way to the ship and pick up a couple of bottles of wine before boarding? We've done that.

Yes, you can bring wine in the states - we bring home 2 bottles per person from all our trips and have never had any problem. It is more of a weight issue. The web site for Magellan which is a travel site with "gadgets" offers wine wrappers just for this that are either for one time use or multiple and this way you avoid spills. Our bottles have never broken and it is a great way to enjoy your own bottle.

I waited too long to edit my post. I suggest calling the liquor stores mentioned in the thread. They may be a mile from the port. Passengers flying into JFK might do better taking a taxi rather then booking Princess transfers.

A taxi from the Port isn't a big deal. If the liquor store is willing to let you pre-order, maybe even pre-pay you can have the taxi wait for you.

Be certain your port of entry where you clear customs is your final stop. While you may pick up packaged duty free wine at your departure airport and carry into the cabin (like in Europe), I don't think you will be allowed to bring it thru the TSA airport screening in the USA if you are connecting!

Archived