Venice Excursion St Marks and Area

PennyT

Does anyone know if an excursion has been reserved (5 hours St Marks and Area) for the day of disembarkation in Venice gives a priority time to leave the ship?:confused: We would also if possible like to fit in a Gondola ride, before we need to head up to Marc Polo Airport Hotel where we are staying overnight as we have a very early flight the next day so would like an early departure time for the excursion to give us time to do this.

Also, the way I read the info on excursions on disembarkation, is that your luggage is stored for you and transport is provided to the airport. Have I understood correctly?:confused:

We did this excursion just two days ago. I can't answer all your questions because we didn't disembark until Bari. However the St. Marks and Area excursion is for both those getting off at Venice and those staying on. The ship gets into Venice around 8:30 am and sails slowly up the Giudecca canal passing St Mark's square, before tying up at the cruise terminal. You'll leave the ship with your excursion group about 9:30 and finally get to the Doges Palace entrance sometime after 10. The excursion through the palace is very complete and interesting and is followed by walk out into St Mark's square for a verbal explanation of the cathedral and square (they don't take you into the cathedral). Remember it will be a Sunday and the crowds are tremendous. Our excursion ended around 13:30 afterwhich you are free to walk around on your own (or in your case, meet up with the rep who will get you to wherever you need to go prior to leaving Venice). Gondola rides are easy to arrange, especially if you walk to one of the lesser canal bridges where you'll certainly find a gondolier waiting to take you aboard. I wouldn't worry too much about meeting your itinerary - Costa will have everything arranged to get you where you need to go. At least that's been my experience. Enjoy your cruise.

Capricruiser

Thanks for the useful info, seems that going on the excursion should mean we will be able to leave the ship ahead of the crowds and we will have time to do the Gondola ride before heading up the the airport.

PennyT:)

I don't believe you will have any problems. I should have mentioned we were on the Serena and I was assuming we were talking about the same cruise: the 7-day Greece/Turkey/Croatia/Italy. If you'll be on some other ship/cruise it will probably be different.

Archived