What is a good waterproof camera ~ mainly for shots above water and snorkeling?

RQINFL

Does anybody have recommendations for a relatively inexpensive waterproof camera that takes good quality pictures? I'm just looking for a camera that I can take in the pool or the water and maybe take a few snorkeling photos and get good pictures. I normally buy disposable waterproof cameras to take on shore rather than my digital camera, and never like the quality of the photos. Thanks!

I bought both the "My Aqua Case" and DiCaPac for my inexpensive point and shoot digital camera. I haven't been able to try them out yet, but I think I will like the Aqua case better. I'll need to jury rig the camera in the DiCaPac so it doesn't move around too much. They do say not to use the flash on the Aqua case.

Once I get a chance to test them out I'll let you know.

Vic

I finally got up the nerve to dunk my Olympus on a snorkeling trip to Sand Key out of Key West. IMO the disposable cameras aren't worth it since it's pretty much impossible to see what you are shooting through the view-finder with a mask on. And the cases are good but must be completely dry or they will fog underwater. The Olympus is good to 10 feet.

603216868_eJxh7-M.jpg

603218532_Htvak-M.jpg

603224071_cbs6H-M.jpg

Pjk

603224486_AUdMS-L-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Olympus makes a waterproof to 33 feet that I recently considered, 1030sw. We are divers and Olympus also makes a housing that allows the camera to go to 130 feet. We dive shallow a lot, so 33 would work most of the time. Nice camera, but I went with another Olympus in a housing based on total cost.

Olympus makes a waterproof to 33 feet that I recently considered, 1030sw. We are divers and Olympus also makes a housing that allows the camera to go to 130 feet. We dive shallow a lot, so 33 would work most of the time. Nice camera, but I went with another Olympus in a housing based on total cost.

Is that a disposable camera? I was looking at another, cheap, non-disposable camera on Amazon - want to get a couple for my teens - anyone have any input on Snap Sights 35mm waterproof camera ? Does this one work?

41FPWS2XJML._SL110_.jpg

Hi ,i have seen some beautiful pics with sealife cameras ,not sure what you think of as expensive. we have an olympus .after 2 years i don't think my husband had it on the under water mode .we have some nice pictures but hoping they will be better this time.the mask with the camera sounds interesting though, i think i'll get on sky mall and check it out.

I now have an olympus camera with underwater case. I still have the snap site underwater camera. I was surprised at how good it worked (even for a $25 cost) Took very good pix when snorkeling, and good pix out of the underwater case. I switched to a digital for the different options available. I got the camera and case on ebay for amazing prices.:D

I would do a google.com search of "underwater camera housings" select your camera and see if you want to spend the money on the housings.

A good thing about the acrylic housings is that the camera will float to the surface if you become seperated from it.

I still have the snap site underwater camera. I was surprised at how good it worked (even for a $25 cost) Took very good pix when snorkeling, and good pix out of the underwater case. .:D

I heard that we should replace the film they come with before we use them - did you use 400 or 800 speed film for your good shots with the snap site camera?

I used the film that came with the camera. Pix came out OK. I would reccomend using a rechargable battery as it has more power for the flash, recharges the flash quicker, and lasts longer for more pix. I think 400 speed is fine. I got mine on ebay, cheap. A good camera for "starting" underwater pix.

Hi Life,

I got my Snap Site when my wife and I were in Hawaii. It took some nice shots of the manta rays at night right out of the package. I used it 2 days later on a day snorkling trip. those shots came out ok, not great, but ok. I think different speed film might help. I'm not sure what speed came with it though :confused:.

John

Archived