First Time in Progreso - Tips, Advice, help...

My husband and I are stopping in Progreso for the first time in Sept. What suggestions does anyone have for us about the stop? I've read that a bus takes you from the ship somewhere at the port but can someone please give me more details? I'm trying to figure out if we need to book an excursion or if we'll be ok just walking around from where the bus drops you off and exploring bars, beaches, etc on our own.

Also is Progreso a good spot for snorkeling at all? Or do we leave our snorkel gear in the cabin?

TIA!

You can decide when you get there. Auto Progreso will inform you of tours while on the bus ride to town. You can book a tour in town or walk 2 or 3 blocks to the beach. Shopping several blocks from the tourist traps can be full of bargains, and the mercado (market) is a really neat place to see. There are several places on the beach that serve great food. They will bring the drinks to you on the beach. Then there is the open air bus that will take you around town for a couple of bucks. A trip to Merida is available if you are into architecture, and there are several ruins tours.

If you can't find something that suits you , you are too picky.

There is bus that will transport you from the ship along the long pier into town. From there you can walk about two blocks to the main bus terminal of Autoprogreso from where there are frequent departures to Mérida (about 45 minutes away). The fare is 13 pesos one-way, 22 pesos return (about USD 1.00 and USD 2.00 respectively). Autoprogreso operates the shuttle from the ship into town, and while they know the 2-block route from the drop-off location to the company's bus terminal, they might try instead to sell you their USD 25.00 tour instead. There's plenty enough to see and do in Mérida on foot; you can also take the double-decked Turibus in the city for USD 10.00.

Yucatan Today has an article giving suggestions about different things to do in Progreso:

http://yucatantoday.com/en/topics/port-call-progreso

Autoprogreso is a very professional tour company offering excellent tours of Merida and the Mayan ruins. You can book tours directly with them at the Casa de Cultura (where the shuttle from the ship drops you off).

Just returned from the Fantasy cruise to Progreso and Cozumel. Thanks to these posts, my family and I received WONDERFUL advice on traveling to Merida on our own, rather than through Carnival. We very easily got off the ship and onto the shuttle to the end of the pier, walked two blocks to the local Progreso bus terminal and began our trip to Merida. We purchased 5 round trip tickets to Merida for $12! This was on coach buses with air conditioning. An easy 40 minute trip where we then explored Merida on our own, ate in a great restaurant and came back with many nice pictures.

Be brave...don't be one of the cattle in the herd! Venture out and "Be One with the People" and be a traveler, not a tourist!

Thanks, John! We enjoyed a city previously unexplored by ourselves, felt safe, had enough time to return to the ship!

Just returned from the Fantasy cruise to Progreso and Cozumel. Thanks to these posts, my family and I received WONDERFUL advice on traveling to Merida on our own, rather than through Carnival. We very easily got off the ship and onto the shuttle to the end of the pier, walked two blocks to the local Progreso bus terminal and began our trip to Merida. We purchased 5 round trip tickets to Merida for $12! This was on coach buses with air conditioning. An easy 40 minute trip where we then explored Merida on our own, ate in a great restaurant and came back with many nice pictures.

Be brave...don't be one of the cattle in the herd! Venture out and "Be One with the People" and be a traveler, not a tourist!

Thanks, John! We enjoyed a city previously unexplored by ourselves, felt safe, had enough time to return to the ship!

Thanks for the review! I will be in Progreso for the first time in September, and decided that this is the route we'll take. When you got to Merida, did you already have maps or destinations in mind? How central were the sights in Merida from where the bus station is?

I did print out maps that were available on the yucatantoday.com site, but we really just got off the shuttle bus, (confirmed directions with a local) took a right, walked two blocks to the terminal. Then in Merida, you drive past the central square on your way to the Merida terminal which is also only two blocks down. Very easy!!! Try it!

Archived