Dress Code in MDR on all nights Newbies to Carnival

You'd think by now they would just sticky a "what should I wear in the dining room?" thread. Imagine the bandwidth they'd save :p.

They make money by displaying ads,so more replies more income as well as more exposure for advertisers.

Steve

I'm not at all interested in the formal/elegant nights. I have the clothing, but it comes down to packing. It's hard enough trying to pack eight days worth of summer clothing into one suitcase. I'm absolutely going with jeans on the non-formal nights.

When we go to dinner in the MDR, I could care less what other people are wearing as long as my family and I are dressed nicely and are comfortable. Of course I wouldn't want to sit next to a man wearing a muscle shirt with his armpits exposed. But I don't see a problem with people wearing nice jeans or shorts, etc.....to each his own. ;)

I'm not at all interested in the formal/elegant nights. I have the clothing, but it comes down to packing. It's hard enough trying to pack eight days worth of summer clothing into one suitcase. I'm absolutely going with jeans on the non-formal nights.

If packing is an issue, dockers type pants are lighter then jeans. Especially if you are bringing multiple pairs.

While I agree, reasonable it is reasonable, and I love wearing jeans. But IMO, jeans just don't "seem right" on a cruise. Not an issue with how nice they are, they just don't seem the style. But again, to each their own....

If packing is an issue, dockers type pants are lighter then jeans. Especially if you are bringing multiple pairs.

While I agree, reasonable it is reasonable, and I love wearing jeans. But IMO, jeans just don't "seem right" on a cruise. Not an issue with how nice they are, they just don't seem the style. But again, to each their own....

Agreed, I think age plays a role too. I see nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans and shirt, but do think sometimes people (especially older people) tend to over dress for certain events. Nevertheless I have been to many formal dinners and events, and so don't find the idea to dress up for a cruise very appealing. I think it's great, especially for people that love to wear formal attire or don't usually have the opportunity to do so. Otherwise, not interested.

Agreed, I think age plays a role too. I see nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans and shirt, but do think sometimes people (especially older people) tend to over dress for certain events. Nevertheless I have been to many formal dinners and events, and so don't find the idea to dress up for a cruise very appealing. I think it's great, especially for people that love to wear formal attire or don't usually have the opportunity to do so. Otherwise, not interested.

+1 Great post.

Again, I LOVE my jeans. But doesn't seem right on a cruise. Heck my company has gone to a "appropriate casual" dress code at non-customer facing events. So I wear jeans to those meetings and such a lot. I also dress up somewhat regularly.

What I'm getting at, is what is as comfortable and casual as jeans, but more "cruise" like? More "resort" wear like? More "Caribbean" wear like? See I'm thinking white or very light colored dockers and polo. I'm thinking linen pants would be idea. Light wearing, incredibly comfortable yet clean look. Some boat shoes or loafers or something....

And again, NO ONE is saying you have to dress up. But I'll stand by what I said earlier. There are plenty of places to dress down on the ship and eat well. I think the conversation is about the MDR. And I while I'm not saying one should dress formal in on non formal/elegant nights, I do think reasonable, is reasonable. Jeans? Ok I guess. Again, my issue with jeans is not a question of nice, but how they fit in on a cruise. I would never wear jeans on a golf course. I'll wear shorts, but not jeans. Not an issue of niceness.

Again, I LOVE my jeans. But doesn't seem right on a cruise. Heck my company has gone to a "appropriate casual" dress code at non-customer facing events. So I wear jeans to those meetings and such a lot. I also dress up somewhat regularly.

What I'm getting at, is what is as comfortable and casual as jeans, but more "cruise" like? More "resort" wear like? More "Caribbean" wear like? See I'm thinking white or very light colored dockers and polo. I'm thinking linen pants would be idea. Light wearing, incredibly comfortable yet clean look. Some boat shoes or loafers or something....

And again, NO ONE is saying you have to dress up. But I'll stand by what I said earlier. There are plenty of places to dress down on the ship and eat well. I think the conversation is about the MDR. And I while I'm not saying one should dress formal in on non formal/elegant nights, I do think reasonable, is reasonable. Jeans? Ok I guess. Again, my issue with jeans is not a question of nice, but how they fit in on a cruise. I would never wear jeans on a golf course. I'll wear shorts, but not jeans. Not an issue of niceness.

I'd never wear jeans on Caribbean cruises in the MDR but will definitely wear shorts on non formal nights.:)

Bill

+1 Great post.

Thx lol

Again, I LOVE my jeans. But doesn't seem right on a cruise. <snip>

You didn't have to affirm your LOVE of jeans, as I never put that into question. I simply stated that I agreed with you, however felt that age plays a role and ultimately it comes down to personal choice. I also NEVER said anything about HAVING to dress-up. Again it's all personal opinion on what to wear, I'm just glad I can wear jeans!

Getting back to you original question, as this poll http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1030892&highlight=poll+elegant and my personal experiences support, over 70% of passengers will be in a minimum of sport jackets/slacks and a dress/skirt.

Stevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is correct about "formal" becoming "elegant" but Carnival is not the Wal-Mart nor McDonald's of cruise lines. :rolleyes: (In fact, many CCL cruisers on this board and CCL are less than fond of individuals making CCL out to be a lesser cruise line.)

IMHO, if you want the truth, look at the #s on the the poll. Just because the jean/casual crowd is a louder more repetitive voice, it is not representative of the majority of cruisers.

IMHO, if you want the truth, look at the #s on the the poll. Just because the jean/casual crowd is a louder more repetitive voice, it is not representative of the majority of cruisers.

I don't think a poll comprised of 513 enthusiastic cruisers on a message board is anymore an accurate representation of the "majority of cruisers." Not that it matters anyway, people should wear something suitable, something they feel comfortable in and be happy with. I'm not worried who is wearing what, I'm going on my cruise to have a great experience and enjoy my dinner. Carn has some guidelines and that's all there is to it. I wouldn't get too worried about what people wear because there are always people that under or over dress for any event. Have fun!

Your obviously either older then dirt and from a time when jeans were pretty low on the totem pole. Whats the difference between nice jeans and a "nice pair of pants"? Besides, once you sit at the table who looks at you legs? I understand dressing up for formal night but this is crazy.

Well, to tell you the truth, I personally believe things are beginning to go a bit too far with the relaxing of the dress "code".

You'll see thread after thread about how you should tip the wait staff appropriately as if you were going to a nice dinner restaurant each night. Would you dress down when going to a nice restaurant? Of course there will be people who reply "oh yes, I always go out in jeans and a t-shirt, that is nice compared to the shorts, tank top, and flip-flops I'd normally wear.

Personally, if you're comfortable dressing down, and going to dinner in your jammies or underwear, well then go for it. As everyone is always saying - it's your/my vacation and you/I can do whatever you/we like. Me, me, me.

I wouldn't be caught dead going to dinner in jeans, shorts (dressy shorts - come on what is that?), sneakers, t-shirt (or Hawaiian shirt), etc. Jeez - how difficult is it to put on a nice pair of pants, some loafers, and a dress shirt? Bring a tie along and wear it for formal night (I won't be caught without a jacket on formal night). End of problem.

This "go in what you're comfortable wearing" is fine for the buffet, not the dining room(s).

Flame away, see what I care.

Howard

When we go to dinner in the MDR, I could care less what other people are wearing as long as my family and I are dressed nicely and are comfortable. Of course I wouldn't want to sit next to a man wearing a muscle shirt with his armpits exposed. But I don't see a problem with people wearing nice jeans or shorts, etc.....to each his own. ;)

Why not if I am forced to look at a woman with a mustach or a chin whisker or two? Can't they see that thing in the mirror?:confused:

Steve

Stevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is correct about "formal" becoming "elegant" but Carnival is not the Wal-Mart nor McDonald's of cruise lines. :rolleyes: (In fact, many CCL cruisers on this board and CCL are less than fond of individuals making CCL out to be a lesser cruise line.)

If you compare the business model of Walmart:) to CCL you will find they are similar.They both have excellent models and are both very profitable in what they do.They both serve a mass market with a variety to suit everyones taste.They both are giants in their industry.What do you find that is not similar in both of these highly succesfull companies?Walmart:) started first before CCL.

Who would you compare Walmart:) to?

Steve

OMG Stevaaaaa that just did it for me... Thank god I gulped that sip of coffee before reading this. You are a riot...

I'll be sure to get the magnifying mirror out now :-) Being a blonde those facial hairs can be quite light so .... let me go check.

Have a great day... that one just made mine

Why not if I am forced to look at a woman with a mustach or a chin whisker or two? Can't they see that thing in the mirror?:confused:

Steve

Well, to tell you the truth, I personally believe things are beginning to go a bit too far with the relaxing of the dress "code".

You'll see thread after thread about how you should tip the wait staff appropriately as if you were going to a nice dinner restaurant each night. Would you dress down when going to a nice restaurant? Of course there will be people who reply "oh yes, I always go out in jeans and a t-shirt, that is nice compared to the shorts, tank top, and flip-flops I'd normally wear.

Personally, if you're comfortable dressing down, and going to dinner in your jammies or underwear, well then go for it. As everyone is always saying - it's your/my vacation and you/I can do whatever you/we like. Me, me, me.

I wouldn't be caught dead going to dinner in jeans, shorts (dressy shorts - come on what is that?), sneakers, t-shirt (or Hawaiian shirt), etc. Jeez - how difficult is it to put on a nice pair of pants, some loafers, and a dress shirt? Bring a tie along and wear it for formal night (I won't be caught without a jacket on formal night). End of problem.

This "go in what you're comfortable wearing" is fine for the buffet, not the dining room(s).

Flame away, see what I care.

Howard

So what nice place do you eat at yells and hollars color wars,has table dancers,poor singing,conga lines,and announcements over a PA about the next days ports and activities? Chuck e cheese? Heck the mouse wears a tux,so at least they are dressed.

WHo would even think about wearing a Hawiian shirt on a caribbean cruise?

STeve

So what nice place do you eat at yells and hollars color wars,has table dancers,poor singing,conga lines,and announcements over a PA about the next days ports and activities? Chuck e cheese? Heck the mouse wears a tux,so at least they are dressed.

WHo would even think about wearing a Hawiian shirt on a caribbean cruise?

STeve

Steve, you are on a roll this morning.:D

I see a lot of "Me, Me, Me" in your post as well.
Moi Moi Moi ! Is that better? lol

Steve

OMG LMAO

If you compare the business model of Walmart:) to CCL you will find they are similar.They both have excellent models and are both very profitable in what they do.They both serve a mass market with a variety to suit everyones taste.They both are giants in their industry.What do you find that is not similar in both of these highly succesfull companies?Walmart:) started first before CCL.

Steve

A while back there was a quote from a CCL Executive and I am paraphrasing... If you want to compare CCL to Walmart, We will take that compliment anytime..

If I can find the article I will post it..

Steve

No Stevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, it isn't quite that simple. While they are both successful business models, that is where the similarity ends...your logic runs like the father of the bride's wedding toast in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Apples and Oranges are fruit, end of similarity. CCL and Wal-Mart are successful businesses, end of similarity.

CCL is a Hospitality business model where as Wal-Mart is a consumer-product based model. CCL has is service based and has to worry about presentation, meals, entertainment, decor, service, hospitality, decorum, etc. At Wal-Mart you can wear any dang thing you please and fix your bean and weenies any way you like after paying the cashier that may not really care that you exist for the product you are taking to your home.

for the MDR?

[ATTACH]127869[/ATTACH]

:p

LOL:p Sweetheart, you can wear whatever you want to dinner. This pic earned you bragging rights!!!!

Just be sure no one tries to pick your pockets!!!!!:eek:

Archived