Star or Pearl to Alaska summer 2010?

cookies62

Glacier Bay was my first choice when booking Alaska cruise but when I found this 8-day for $250 less than 7-day I decided "length was more important than substance" so I booked the Pearl. Sawyer Glacier is supposed to be

quite impressive too. It all depends on what is most important to you. Though still wish I was going to GB. Will just have to book another one!

I posed the same question last year, and followed the recommendations for the Pearl and Glacier Bay.

All I can say is that turned out to be the best cruise we've ever been on. Glacier Bay is one of the most spectacular sights I've had the pleasure of experiencing in nature. (Right up there with the Grand Canyon.)

Granted I haven't been to Sawyer Glacier, but Glacier Bay was breathtaking and I'd recommend any cruise that took you there!

Another point in the Pearl's favor is that she stops at Victoria, BC. A lovely city with "old world" charm. (I only wish we'd been there longer.)

I agree with CRUZIN TOM.... Do your self a favor and book a balcony on the Port side. As you enter Glacier Bay National Park, all the glaciers are on the port side. At the end of the entry the ship does a 180 degree turn to leave, so the starboard side does not get a lot of "hang" time to glacier watch. This rotation is the time for you to go topside for more viewing and talking to the ranger. A lot of people go up at the start and then get cold so a lot less people for the last part of the glacier viewing. We have been on this cruise 3 time and it is superb.

_________

I prefer Sawyer Glacier over Glacier Bay. ONLY if you also go on the small boat tour that leaves from Juneau, takes you to Sawyer and then meets up with the ship later on. The fijord is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

We went back and forth on this same question when we decided that it was time for our cruise to Alaska.

We decided that the Pearl to Glacier Bay was it. We did not pick port side however. I hope that we made a good decision because we picked an Aft balcony!

We went back and forth on this same question when we decided that it was time for our cruise to Alaska.

We decided that the Pearl to Glacier Bay was it. We did not pick port side however. I hope that we made a good decision because we picked an Aft balcony!

Archived