Punta Sur - how far to swim?

jkstoy

I don't personally know but I read on another site (think it was cruisefansonline or something like that) that it is 300 yards to the reef and then the reef is 3/4 mile wide. I also read on another site that often the water is pretty rough. We will be there for the Halloween cruise and hope to get to snorkel there. However, due to my age and weight I don't know how well I will do.

Darn, we're leaving out of Tampa and will be in Cozumel for Halloween. We dock around 8am and leave at 6pm. The excursion that we're doing at from 1030am to 230 pm. If ya'll are there on the same day/time maybe we can still get together.

I have read many reviews about the swim is a good distance at Punta Sur for snorkeling. But, no one has actually said how far out the reef is.

Does anyone know?

I personally attempted this swim out to the reef this past February. It is far, far, far. I am a strong swimmer and this was not doable. I recommend that you take a snorkeling excursion from the Dive shop at Punta Sur. Some of my group did this a raved about it. They just went out with 1 guide in a kyak. They loved it!

Melismas,

Thanks for the info but we already signed up. I figure I can just stay closer to shore if need be. Granted, I won't get the full benefit but if my companion can make it then one of us will be happy. I am concerned I won't be able to make it but I am just going to make the best of it and see how far I can go. I am thankful for your honesty about it.

I personally attempted this swim out to the reef this past February. It is far, far, far. I am a strong swimmer and this was not doable. I recommend that you take a snorkeling excursion from the Dive shop at Punta Sur. Some of my group did this a raved about it. They just went out with 1 guide in a kyak. They loved it!

I also have swam out to the reef at Punta Sur and it is a long swim. There is stuff to see on the way out but it is scattered and for many it would be very tough just finding the areas of interest. The reef on the other hand often has turtles and a lot of other critters. It is good advice to let the guide in the kayak pull you to and from the reef, you only have one day on the island so you might want to make the most of it. The snorkel tour from the Punta Sur staff is very reasonable.

Melismas, Thanks for the info but we already signed up. I figure I can just stay closer to shore if need be. Granted, I won't get the full benefit but if my companion can make it then one of us will be happy. I am concerned I won't be able to make it but I am just going to make the best of it and see how far I can go. I am thankful for your honesty about it.

I'm not trying to change your mind as it is apparent you have made up your mind as to what you are going to do at Parque Punta Sur but for others that are still undecided I just want them to know you can cancel a tour from a Carnival ship up to 24 hours of the tour with no problem or cost. The positive of the ships tour would be the travel to and from the Park is a lot easier than arranging your own transportation. However once you are at the sight you might want to sign up for the guide to pull you out to the reef.

I am a very avid swimmer and believe me it is a good hard swim to the reef but well worth the effort. This part of Cozumel (the southern tip of the island) was the least affected by hurricane Wilma a few years ago, which destroyed most of the shallow water reefs accessible by shore.

The ride inside the Park on the Hugh wooden truck, the boat ride through the lagoon, the old ruins lighthouse and the newer lighthouse where you can climb the stairs to the top is a good day on the island even without the snorkel but it is a great day at Cozumel with the reef included :cool: imho.

I had not considered this spot for snorkling but I am now very interested in doing it with the kayak pull tour. We are renting a car so we can see the east side of the island so stoping here would be easy. My question is how much time should we set aside for doing the snorkling pull tour? I would imagine that is an upcharge after paying the park fee. Any one know how much the upgrade for 2 would be? Is there a website with info?:confused:

Thanks for any info, I'm glad I stmbled on this thread!:D

Ben

Archived