Tips and Propinas in Mex!

DudeLX

There's no 'hard and fast' rule concerning tipping for such services. Is the tour guide self-employed? Works for a company? Was the service good, or just "average"? 15-20% strikes me as high. People from the USA tend to over-tip in Mexico, from what I've observed. At the end of the day . . . or, should I say, "at the end of the activity" . . . let your conscience be your guide. I tip for services rendered which are over and above the "average," and expect tour operators to fairly compensate their employees otherwise.

15-20% for a $40 snorkle excursion is only $6-$8. That doesn't seem too high to me for a 4 hour excursion where they wait on you hand and foot.

It is a personal decsion though, I was just post what we do.

Another thing to remember is our minimum wage is approximately $8.00US a day! That is not a typo...not an hour, a day! I always tell people being a tour guide in Mexico is like a waiter/waitress in the states...little daily wage and tips are greatly appreciated. But it is all about the service.

15 to 20% if the cost of the tour is typical, just like on restaurant bills and spa services all over North America.

It is true the daily wage is usually about $8.00 US PER DAY!

Anyway, I live here and I typically give about 100 to 150 Pesos per tour depending....or 20% of the tour price. I figure that if the staff is at my beck and call delivering drinks/food/entertaining me and such, they deserve the same percentage as I would give a waiter/waitress or bartender anywhere else. Most people have no problem giving a bartender $1.00 for a beer or two and what these people do is so much harder. :)

Archived