Smart Casual Wear on RCCL

mzcyberella

My dh has rented a tux for the 2 formal nites, but he does not have a sports jacket for smart casual nite. He has dress slacks & a nice sweater, & we need to know before we leave.

He does not need a jacket for smart casual night. Smart casual is basially no jeans, no shorts and no tee shirts or tank tops but instead- a shirt with a collar. (like a golf shirt) Many men and women both wear khakis on casual nights.

Now you will see people wearing the other things-don't be shocked-there are many who cruise today who strongly feel there should be no dress code. They are allowed to dine in the dinningroom dressed this way also.

All of us feared we would commit a faux-paux on our first cruise. We all have this idea it will be like "Love Boat" the TV show and then we take a cruise and realize that today it is very different then 20-30 years ago.

Now I do try to to wear the "suggested wear"- I am one of the few that like to see a cruise as being different from other vacations-I like "dressing" for dinner-something we don't do when we go to Bob Evans for dinner after a day at Disney World or Bush Garden-but that is just me and a few others that feel that way.

Thre is another thread here called something like "how smart is smart casual?" which really says what I have been trying to say much better. How of six or seven posts only one post felt this meant dressing up-the others pretty much expressed what I tried to say-as long as it is not blue jeans, shorts, tee shirts and tank tops-you will be fine.

My dh has rented a tux for the 2 formal nites, but he does not have a sports jacket for smart casual nite. He has dress slacks & a nice sweater, & we need to know before we leave.

No jacket required for smart casual. Dress shirt, tie and khakis are fine. Casual, drop to a polo shirt and khakis.

I'm a fan of a smart, no pun intended, dress collared shirt on men, and I think smart casual night is perfect for this. That and dress slacks will be fine. If it's a particularly chilly or windy night, my father usually will bring a light sweater to put over the shirt, in true preppy style I suppose... LOL. In fact, you'll see a lot of people much more casual than that. To me, half the fun of a cruise is being able to be extravagant, including in dressing... others however, do not share this opinion.

More importantly though than how you dress is that you are comfortable in what you're wearing. Cruises are a time to relax, so don't stress over whether or not you're committing a fashion don't. Lest you walk in barefoot and in swimwear in the dinning room, no one should have a problem with you're wearing. :)

Archived