Tipping in the supper club (or steakhouse as it is now called

golfadj

When I'm in a restuarant with a group of 6 or more, they often charge a 18% tip. I laugh because generally I tip more than that. But, if it's mandatory so be it. That's all they get. I've even told the server before hand, do you want to do the mandatory 15% (or whatever) or do you want to go for more? Sometimes they take me up on it.

So, if the $30/person is tip included, then I'm done. Period. They made the rules. Not me. I am a great tipper when the service is great.

Same thing with the mandatory 15% drink tips. I'm done. Thanks for making it easy for me. My minimum is usually 20% in the real world.

So be it.

When I'm in a restuarant with a group of 6 or more, they often charge a 18% tip. I laugh because generally I tip more than that. But, if it's mandatory so be it. That's all they get. I've even told the server before hand, do you want to do the mandatory 15% (or whatever) or do you want to go for more? Sometimes they take me up on it.

So, if the $30/person is tip included, then I'm done. Period. They made the rules. Not me. I am a great tipper when the service is great.

Same thing with the mandatory 15% drink tips. I'm done. Thanks for making it easy for me. My minimum is usually 20% in the real world.

So be it.

You know, I am one of the most vocal people here that thinks people should tip how they want, but your logic is stupid.

The SERVERS did not make the rules. You are tipping the "servers".

You know, I am one of the most vocal people here that thinks people should tip how they want, but your logic is stupid.

The SERVERS did not make the rules. You are tipping the "servers".

We'll have to agree to disagree. The servers probably come out way ahead. For those that would normally tip really well, there are probably 10 times as many that would tip pretty crappy. So, $30 per head is probably a happy medium. If it wasn't working or the servers weren't happy, they'd make a change.

So, $30 a head with tip included is just that. I just don't think you have any obligation to tip extra if you feel the $30 is sufficient.

So your thinking is, you usually over tip to make up for the people you feel are not tipping enough, but if "they who make the rules" decide what the tip will be, you figure everyone is tipping on a level playing ground, so you have no need to do your usual over tipping?

Am I getting close to your thinking?

Personally I have never tipped in the supper club, but I have never eaten there either. But, in case I ever do, I would like to know how much of that $30 is considered tip. I mean honestly, it could be anywhere from $1 to $30. If it was $1, even I would feel additional tip was needed.

The internet is notorious for a lack of tone and it makes some points difficult to express.

I guess I get irritated when a mandatory tip gets put on my bill. More often than not, the servers get lazy because they know it's automatic. I do not believe in mandatory tipping. Sometimes, I'm forced to play their game.

If they make it mandatory, I'll never tip more. That's my position, maybe stated a bit more clearly.

Now in the case of the "suggested" tips of $10/day/person, it's only a suggestion. I have the ability to adjust it up or down as the case may be. I've never adjusted it downwards and have always had something extra for those that were doing a great job. Again, it's a suggested tipping guideline.

I just don't like the service industry telling me how much I have to tip. Same thing for the drink waiters that run all over the pool decks. It's mandatory and my only choice is to not drink or pay it.

Well, I am fully with you on mandatory tipping. And I don't mind the suggested amounts because I can adjust how I want, but when tip is included but I don't know how much that is is when I have the problem.

I know what I want to tip. I have thrown that whole precentage thing out the door a long time ago. I tip with my head and I do not care how or even if the next person tips.

The internet is notorious for a lack of tone and it makes some points difficult to express.

I guess I get irritated when a mandatory tip gets put on my bill. More often than not, the servers get lazy because they know it's automatic. I do not believe in mandatory tipping. Sometimes, I'm forced to play their game.

If they make it mandatory, I'll never tip more. That's my position, maybe stated a bit more clearly.

Now in the case of the "suggested" tips of $10/day/person, it's only a suggestion. I have the ability to adjust it up or down as the case may be. I've never adjusted it downwards and have always had something extra for those that were doing a great job. Again, it's a suggested tipping guideline.

I just don't like the service industry telling me how much I have to tip. Same thing for the drink waiters that run all over the pool decks. It's mandatory and my only choice is to not drink or pay it.

Well, I am fully with you on mandatory tipping. And I don't mind the suggested amounts because I can adjust how I want, but when tip is included but I don't know how much that is is when I have the problem.

I know what I want to tip. I have thrown that whole precentage thing out the door a long time ago. I tip with my head and I do not care how or even if the next person tips.

With this economy, I've noticed a lot of people aren't going percentages any more. If you get $5 service, you give a $5 tip, etc. I can go to a nice steakhouse here in town and get lousy service. But, a much cheaper diner, I get much better service. Who should get more tip? Just because the meal was twice as expensive, should the server that did half the job get twice as much as the one that went crazy for us?

You're right, tip with your head.

years ago, I'd ask the server how much tip should I put down. the answers I received were normally less than I would put.

I can't ask that any more. The answers I get back are usually outrageous. It's the sense of entitlement that runs rampant in this wonderful country of ours.

With this economy, I've noticed a lot of people aren't going percentages any more. If you get $5 service, you give a $5 tip, etc. I can go to a nice steakhouse here in town and get lousy service. But, a much cheaper diner, I get much better service. Who should get more tip? Just because the meal was twice as expensive, should the server that did half the job get twice as much as the one that went crazy for us?

You're right, tip with your head.

First let me tell you that I agree with you whole heartedly, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to take cover. You have entered into sacred territory. Their are Voodoo Spells being cast upon you as we speak. It gets ugly around here when you don't report being a "generous tipper". So TAKE COVER !!!

First let me tell you that I agree with you whole heartedly, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to take cover. You have entered into sacred territory. Their are Voodoo Spells being cast upon you as we speak. It gets ugly around here when you don't report being a "generous tipper". So TAKE COVER !!!

Haha. To each their own. At the end of the day, it's only the internet. Sticks and stones can break your bones, but 1's and 0's generating electrons flowing through time and space can't hurt you.

I will say this much. When it comes to tipping, I never stiff folks that don't deserve to be stiffed. I used to tend bar in my younger days. I know what it's like to try and earn tips. It was a great job because the more you put yourself out there, the more you make.

Thanks for the debate on philosophy of tipping but guess nobody knows how much the servers in the supper club get from the $ 30.

Guess Carnival wants to keep this as a deep dark secret.

However it does appear that only the best servers get to work in the supper club so guessing they will only do it to make more. Why do it to make less money.

Therefore I will assume that they make $ 10 per person from the 30 and based on a $ 20 tip from me and DW that will be enough of a tip from us.

Assuming the meal is worth $ 100 that is a 20% tip and that is good enough for me.

In the overall scheme of things in the world of Carnival what I do will not matter and I will not lose any sleep over it, but think customers are entitled to know how much they are tipping.

Archived