Tipping in the supper club (or steakhouse as it is now called

golfadj

When I'm in a restuarant with a group of 6 or more, they often charge a 18% tip. I laugh because generally I tip more than that. But, if it's mandatory so be it. That's all they get. I've even told the server before hand, do you want to do the mandatory 15% (or whatever) or do you want to go for more? Sometimes they take me up on it.

So, if the $30/person is tip included, then I'm done. Period. They made the rules. Not me. I am a great tipper when the service is great.

Same thing with the mandatory 15% drink tips. I'm done. Thanks for making it easy for me. My minimum is usually 20% in the real world.

So be it.

So you punish servers for a company policy they may not have any control over? You sound like a great tipper.:confused:

A number of people at Carnival have told us that the servers only get a portion of the $ 30 however nobody will say how much and that is the reason for my post. Why is this a secret?

I can only tell you my experience. Since this situation occurred on an Alaska cruise in May of 2007, the information may be out-dated but it is what I still believe.

On that particular cruise, our assistant server had just transferred from the Supper Club on the Spirit to the main dining room. I asked her, how much of the $30.00 went to the servers and she responded that the tip was not included in the $30.00 service charge. Now perhaps she was not telling me the truth but because she was no longer working in the supper club and, IMHO had no reason to lie, that is what I still believe.

I can only tell you my experience. Since this situation occurred on an Alaska cruise in May of 2007, the information may be out-dated but it is what I still believe.

On that particular cruise, our assistant server had just transferred from the Supper Club on the Spirit to the main dining room. I asked her, how much of the $30.00 went to the servers and she responded that the tip was not included in the $30.00 service charge. Now perhaps she was not telling me the truth but because she was no longer working in the supper club and, IMHO had no reason to lie, that is what I still believe.

How much do you make a year?

First let me tell you that I agree with you whole heartedly, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to take cover. You have entered into sacred territory. Their are Voodoo Spells being cast upon you as we speak. It gets ugly around here when you don't report being a "generous tipper". So TAKE COVER !!!

you were right... :)

Interesting. I ask if anyone knows how much the servers get of the $ 30 and most of the thread is now about how much people tip in general and than flame them for it.

Remind me to not start another thread having anything to do with tipping!

This will now have to go down as one of the three biggest mysteries of life.

One has to do with how on earth I've made it this far in life. :confused:

I guess the other mystery is why do these Tipping threads get so heated. Who Cares How Much Anyone Else Tips...it's none of your BUSINESS. I feel better now. :)

I would suspect she WOULD tell you the Tip was not included in the $30 service charge. Did she tell you about her Husband, 8 kids, 22 extended family members and 4 dogs that she was supporting back at home with her Tip money?

I would suspect she WOULD tell you the Tip was not included in the $30 service charge. Did she tell you about her Husband, 8 kids, 22 extended family members and 4 dogs that she was supporting back at home with her Tip money?

I knew this stripper one time that was only doing it to put herself thru college. True story. ;)

Interesting. I ask if anyone knows how much the servers get of the $ 30 and most of the thread is now about how much people tip in general and than flame them for it.

Remind me to not start another thread having anything to do with tipping!

do a nice easy thread next time asking about taking a baby on a cruise.;)

Bill

I knew this stripper one time that was only doing it to put herself thru college. True story. ;)

I think I met her...Porche wasn't it, or was it Diamond? I can't remember her name right now, but I would remember her face, it's one I'll never forget. ;)

I guess the other mystery is why do these Tipping threads get so heated. Who Cares How Much Anyone Else Tips...it's none of your BUSINESS. I feel better now. :)

You know I agree with you, the thing is, *I* like to know how much *I* am tipping someone and if I am being charged $30pp tip included, that is fine, but how much was tip? That is all I want to know and I think that is what the OP was wanting to know too. I absolutely do not believe tip is zero though because Carnival has no problem telling you when they expect you to tip and the supper club definately said tip is included.

He said he would normally tip more. The policy is put in place by management not the employee.

But the argument is that it is put in place to help the employee. Why would they do that? While there seem to be some here to say "I would have tipped more" it is very likely they are the minority.

So while they may have "lost" a few $$ from the very few "high roller tippers" they are making much more from the majority who don't tip well, appropriate or whatever you want to call it.

And if you take the few high roller tippers that are out there, I would bet the majority still leave an additional tip if the service warrants it. So over all the argument is these rules are helping the employee.

So the truth of the matter is that this is actually a con job from Carnival.

They tell us part of the service charge is the tip but encourage us to leave more for good service but will not tell us how much we are tipping in the first place.

OK two can play this game. Next time we go to the supper club we will have a great meal but not tip extra since the tip is included and lets leave it at that.

We are done with this!

Love Carnival but they make the rules for this one and I am not going to play this silly game.

They tell us part of the service charge is the tip but encourage us to leave more for good service but will not tell us how much we are tipping in the first place.

OK two can play this game. Next time we go to the supper club we will have a great meal but not tip extra since the tip is included and lets leave it at that.

We are done with this!

Love Carnival but they make the rules for this one and I am not going to play this silly game.

Silly game:confused: Carnival is not encouraging nobody to do anything......they are just letting you know the tip is included......

Wow:rolleyes:

Let me ask you this.........why do you feel you always have to tip extra?

What happened to just tipping.....why is it always extra:confused:

The cruiselines add the auto tips and drink tips and supper club tips so you can go on vacation and not think or worry about tips........

Why make something out of nothing:confused: I don't get it........

I don't really have a problem with auto tipping. I would prefer to know the amount, but not a big deal.

I know a lot of people including a lot of friends who and co-workers who are simple to stingy with their tipping. Especially on things that collect.

I was in Vegas at a very nice hotel a couple weeks ago. I ended up having lunch down by the pool. I was surprised to find they added a tip. I was paying with cash. But as I looked around, the vast majority of people were putting "frozen umbrella drink" after frozen umbrella drink on their room charges. I could see at the end of two or three days people being surprised by a $250 bar tab and try to off set it by not leaving a tip or leaving $10 or something. By having it built in, take care of that.

And this was a very nice hotel (not on the strip). I'd bet money that if I had problems with the service that a manager would adjust the tip for me or remove it all together.

While I'd like to know how much of the $30 is going to tip, I'm not sure it really helps totally. Meaning unless you know the value of the mean. Since most people tip on a % you would need to know both.

Actually, it's only a con job from the person giving you a sob story.

People relying on tips learn pretty quickly how to transfer money from your wallet to theirs. The individuals BOLD enough to start a "HOW MUCH DO YOU GET PAID?" conversation are just setting themselves up. I know if I were them, I would be inclined to say NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, but if I saw a sob story actually makes me $$, I'm there too!

I rarely, if ever, tip MORE than what is being charged to my account, and that includes the Supper Club.

Actually, it's only a con job from the person giving you a sob story.

People relying on tips learn pretty quickly how to transfer money from your wallet to theirs. The individuals BOLD enough to start a "HOW MUCH DO YOU GET PAID?" conversation are just setting themselves up. I know if I were them, I would be inclined to say NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, but if I saw a sob story actually makes me $$, I'm there too!

I rarely, if ever, tip MORE than what is being charged to my account, and that includes the Supper Club.

If I make a special request of a room steward, I tip for that above the normal tip. There was a time when suites had larger, fluffier robes than regular cabins. I'd tip the RS to go snag me one of them.

And I tip the bartenders and bar waiters in cash over the 15%. It comes back to me almost every time.

Supper club service is good, but the tip is included and the service has been good as expected. No call for xtra.

Archived