What is the difference in the 'classes,' Spirit Class vs. Fantasy Class etc. ?

Delta Dear

What do the various class designations mean ? We're going to be cruising on the Legend which I see is a "Spirit' class ship. Our son sailed on the Glory and the Imagination which are in a different class. So , what's the difference ?

I've been on both and I can say that the Fantasy is an older class of ship that are being updated. I'm actually looking forward to sailing on the "updated" Fantasy in October.

Both classes capacity is about the same. The features that the Spirit class has over the Fantasy are:

A lot more balcony cabins

A Supper Club

One large dining room

There are other differences as I have a link below that might help. If I could choose between the two as far as the features go, I would select the Spirit class. I, however, select my cruises based on itinerary and price.;)

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Category:Ships

The ships classes are named by the first ship of a class. The Fantasy was the first of the Fantasy class, which includes the Imagination, Paradise, Elation, and 3 others. The size, layout, capacity, etc of each ship in the class is the same, the decor and names of the areas are different.

You can look at them in different ways. Fantasy class ships are older, smaller, and currently undergoing upgrades (new waterpark features, adding some balcony cabins). Spirit class in the middle, larger, about the same capacity as Fantasy but with more balcony cabins. Conquest class are larger still with a greater capacity. Lifeboats are hung in different places on the different classes, making them easy to identify in pictures.

I like to take the size of the ship (gross tonage) and divide it by the number of passengers (standard capacity with 2 pax per cabin) to get an approximate space per passenger number. By that ranking, Spirit class ships are the best, with more room per person than the others. My experiences have taught me that this is a reasonable indicator.

Archived