Scuba Diving in Greece

annuch68

I am going on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity (Solstice) on October 30, 2009. Will be at port in Mykonos, Santorini, and Rhodes Greece. I would like to scuba dive in at least one of these destinations. Has anyone done this and could give me some names of dive shops, tell me something about the diving, etc.

Tanks - Cheryl

I am going on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity (Solstice) on October 30, 2009. Will be at port in Mykonos, Santorini, and Rhodes Greece. I would like to scuba dive in at least one of these destinations. Has anyone done this and could give me some names of dive shops, tell me something about the diving, etc.

Tanks - Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I went diving in Mykonos and Santorini in July 2007. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the shops but I do recall the locations. Paradise Beach on Mykonos, the dive shop is right on the beach. We took the bus over to the beach, my family hung out while I did a 1 tank shore dive. Santorini I did a 2 tank boat dive. Also from another beach named Parisso Beach. We took a cab to this beach. The dive shop was also along the beach. That shop drove me back to the other side of the island where I got on the boat. Both shops were good not great. Rental gear was decent. When I'm on a cruise ship I usually don't bother lugging all my gear with me but I suppose that's another topic entirely. No computers and gauges were metric. Need a 5mm wetsuit for both places. Santorini I used farmer johns and a jacket. Visibilty was about 50ft. Better in Sanotorini but overall not much to see in either place but that is just my opinion. I suppose it depends where you have previously dove. Mostly unbroken down lava without much growing on it yet. The majority of the fish I saw were small. Price was comparable to what you pay in the states. Hope this helps.

Tinkerbella

Hi Cheryl,

We will be Greece around the same time on the Grand Princess. My husband is interested in diving while there, but so far we are unable to get much info about it. We have found that a lot of the dive shops are closed by late Oct but are still researching it. If we get any info, we will be happy to post it.

Hi Cheryl,

I posted a thread in the Greek Ports of Call section to see if I could get any info, and was referred to TripAdvisor Boards (local Destination Experts on tripadvisor). So far I don't see anything for late Oct but I will keep looking.

If you look at my Greek port post, it's under "Fafos, please help if you can".

• 4 weeks later...

I am touring the Mediterranean on the Celebrity Solstice this coming week. I have contacted Waterhoppers.com in Rhodes. Their American representative is Jill Simmons. As we arrive in Rhodes at 9AM they will have a rep pick me up at the harbor and transport me to their boat. I can choose to dive all day or they will return me to the port after my 1st or 2nd dive.

They have been very communicative and have been able to address my needs. Am looking forward to this experience and will advise when we get back.

George

Archived