Guided tour to Maachu Picchu?

Seabreeze8

Thanks for the quick response! I am looking at a flight that arrives MIA to LIM @ 4:35a and then leaving on the 7a flight to CUZ -- I didn't know if I could push my luck and leave on an earlier flight to CUZ (I think the next earlier one leaves @ 5:25a). Is transfering any easier if I made the flight a connecting flight? The LAN website did not give me the day I wanted when I tried that (we are going at the end of July) so that's why I tried all the flight segments separately. I really appreciate the head's up on getting into Cusco before the clouds.

Thanks for the quick response! I am looking at a flight that arrives MIA to LIM @ 4:35a and then leaving on the 7a flight to CUZ -- I didn't know if I could push my luck and leave on an earlier flight to CUZ (I think the next earlier one leaves @ 5:25a). Is transfering any easier if I made the flight a connecting flight? The LAN website did not give me the day I wanted when I tried that (we are going at the end of July) so that's why I tried all the flight segments separately. I really appreciate the head's up on getting into Cusco before the clouds.

ANY way you book the tickets, you will have to clear Immigration and Customs in Lima. There is NO immigration/customs in Cusco, as all flights to/from Cusco that I know of originate interior Peru. You will have to handle your luggage, transfer terminals (easy) and re-check in no matter HOW you buy the tickets.

It is usually cheaper to buy a separate ticket for the MP segment, LIM/CUZ/LIM, than try to put the flight together USA/LIM/CUZ/LIM/UIO (Quito)/USA. It is also often cheaper to get a RT ticket USA/Guayaquil Ecuador/USA, then a separate ticket on to LIM/CUZ. You can book a flight from Guayaquil to Baltra or Santa Cruz on AeroGal or TAME (Ecuadorian military owned airline). Almost all flights from Quito fly through Guayaquil. And unless you particularly want to see Quito, you are doing your body a BIG favor by eliminating Quito. Example: You have most likely flown from the USA/North America/Europe and unless you live in the mountains of Colorado, France, Switzerland, etc, your body took a big hit adjusting to altitude in Cusco/MP. Then you return to sea level (Lima), get on another plane and fly to Quito (again, high altitude). Then leave Quito and again drop down to sea level. All that adjusting throws your body in a quandary. Something to think about. AND RT tickets to Guayaquil from North America are generally some of the cheapest available. AA frequently has sales to Guayaquil from MIA. Enjoy!!!!

thanks again for all the info. I will plan on giving ourselves a good 2 hrs between flights -- sound about right? I will also look into USA-Guayaquil. More flight permutations to look at! Appreciate all the help -- already looking forward to the trip, the waiting will be the hard part!:)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, we are interested in going to Maachu Picchu. Since we are travelling a long way, we thought we might as well see the surrounding areas and look for a guided tour to Cuzco, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Puno and Arequipa but have not been able to find any guided tour that covers all these areas. Has anybody been to these areas and can recommend a tour company? We would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks very much and don't worry about bending our ears! :)

Contact Viracocha Turismo in Lima, e-mail: fernando@viracocha.com.pe

We used them in May for our Peru extension after a Galapagos trip. They were very good

and may be able to meet your requirements for the places you want to visit.

Archived