Diving with an 11 year old

steve1968

We are cruising on NCL Epic next year and hoping to dive in Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. My 11 year old daughter is qualified to PADI junior open water level but too young to meet NCLs minimum age 12 policy.

I have contacted Dreamtime Dive resort in Costa Maya who have said they would make an exception for us if we pay for our own personal dive master ($50 extra) but will still have to book through the cruiseline first.

This sounds fine to me but NCL seem reluctant to answer me when I've asked for confirmation about this with them, (no answer to email). I'm happy to pay the extra but reluctant to book online only to be told when onboard that she can't dive.

Has anybody else been in this position? Do the cruiselines sometimes bend the rules?

Also any recommendations for independent dive operations who may take us out as a small group to do shallow dives (max 40 feet) as she is only qualified for this depth.

Thanks for any info.

Steve

Steve,

No advice on NCL, but my son and I did our first post-training dives last year in Cozumel with Alison (ScubawithAlison) when he was 11. We went back again this year, both times on cruises. The first time there were only 4 divers, this year there were 6. We got lots of personal attention and really had a great time. If you contact her ahead of time, she can help you get what you're looking for. Lots of other good options in Cozumel as well - don't miss diving here. For the most part, it's good, easy drift diving.

We're considering a cruise on Epic next October. When are you going?

Thanks for the reply. I have read posts about scubawithalison and she has good reviews so I will contact her.

We are booked on the Epic for 21st August for a B2B. Had a great deal. We had planned a week on Oasis of the Seas but were able to get 2 weeks on Epic for not much extra cost.

Steve,

No advice on NCL, but my son and I did our first post-training dives last year in Cozumel with Alison (ScubawithAlison) when he was 11. We went back again this year, both times on cruises. The first time there were only 4 divers, this year there were 6. We got lots of personal attention and really had a great time. If you contact her ahead of time, she can help you get what you're looking for. Lots of other good options in Cozumel as well - don't miss diving here. For the most part, it's good, easy drift diving.

We're considering a cruise on Epic next October. When are you going?

We loved the folks at Scuba With Alison. We booked with her but ended up going with her partner Chucho and had a blast. I would absolutely recommend them.

Thanks for the reply. I have read posts about scubawithalison and she has good reviews so I will contact her.

We are booked on the Epic for 21st August for a B2B. Had a great deal. We had planned a week on Oasis of the Seas but were able to get 2 weeks on Epic for not much extra cost.

FYI, Alison is in Cozumel, not Costa Maya, so you won't be able to dive with her, unless you have a stop in Coz.

Thanks for the replies. I have been in contact with Alison and I'm sure I'll book a dive with her.

I just need to sort out Costa Maya and Roatan. I have now had a reply from NCL saying that as long as the local dive operator will allow an 11 year old to dive then it's OK with them. However they didn't confirm which dive operation they use.

Has anyone booked dives through NCL at Costa Maya or Roatan. If so which operation was it so I can contact them directly?

Archived