NCL Samana Excursion

conlan18

We are taking the Pearl on 01/30/10 which stops in Samana. I have read very mixed reviews on this port. We are thinking of taking the NCL Caya Levantado beach excursion. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the price?

We are taking the Pearl on 01/30/10 which stops in Samana. I have read very mixed reviews on this port. We are thinking of taking the NCL Caya Levantado beach excursion. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the price?

go to the ports of call board--click on caribbean --clock on Dominican Republic--do a search for Samana--all kinds of comments on this tour.

Big Green

In a word, YES! Caya Levantado is a tropical beach paradise. There's beautiful white sand, lounge chairs, lots of shade, interesting shells in the water, good drinks and some entertainment. We hated to leave when it was time to go back to the ship. I highly recommend Caya Levantado.

I agree 100% with Granny. It is an amazingly beautiful beach and when we were there the ship was dock'ed so that we had this beautiful view of the ship against the backdrop of Samana. If there was one complaint I had to find with the excursion it is trivial really, but the tender back to the ship we had to go to the island first and pick people up there . Which don't get me wrong, I understood why they did that rather than take us right back to the ship.. it's just you know how it is when you have spent the day at the beach and you are exhausted and all you want to do is get to your nice air conditioned room and take a nice relaxing shower, etc etc? 8-)

I agree 100% with Granny. It is an amazingly beautiful beach and when we were there the ship was dock'ed so that we had this beautiful view of the ship against the backdrop of Samana. If there was one complaint I had to find with the excursion it is trivial really, but the tender back to the ship we had to go to the island first and pick people up there . Which don't get me wrong, I understood why they did that rather than take us right back to the ship.. it's just you know how it is when you have spent the day at the beach and you are exhausted and all you want to do is get to your nice air conditioned room and take a nice relaxing shower, etc etc? 8-)

Thanks everyone - we were contemplating this too, and with 4 ships in port the day we are there on the Spirit, you have made up my mind.

I have also heard it is a beautiful beach. BUT, it is just a beach. I was there last January and did the 4 x 4 jeep excursion and I highly recomend doing some sort of activity in Samana. We spent at least 4 to 5 hours going thru towns, and by waterfalls, stopping on a beach etc. It is definetly a third world country, but we learned and experienced so much. I am thinking the private island is kind of like NCL's private island.

I have also heard it is a beautiful beach. BUT, it is just a beach. I was there last January and did the 4 x 4 jeep excursion and I highly recomend doing some sort of activity in Samana. We spent at least 4 to 5 hours going thru towns, and by waterfalls, stopping on a beach etc. It is definetly a third world country, but we learned and experienced so much. I am thinking the private island is kind of like NCL's private island.

IMO it is much much nicer and less crowded than GSC.

yes, it is the same as going to a private island. they sell food for hotel guest, but ship passangers are welcome to also eat there. they have a buffet with lobster and other food items. it was well priced, and they have cold presidente beers for 2 or 3 dollars. depending on the size. do not go to any excursion that goes onto the mainland, as many passangers were disapointed.

Thanks everyone - we were contemplating this too, and with 4 ships in port the day we are there on the Spirit, you have made up my mind.

Honestly, as much as I rave about C.L., you might want to not book it if there are four other ships in the port. It will be massively crowded.

Why don't you read the reviews of Dawn this year and last, and Pearl, of course for opinions on what people did. Also go to the Dominican Republic Port of Call board. You will see many opinions and other choices besides Cayo Levantado. It IS the private island for some cruise lines. Many reviews show photos so that can help you decide what to do. How many ships are in port the day you will be there?

My husband went on the beach excursion in Samana and said it was a beautiful private beach. My friends and I took the tender and didn't take us long to get back on the same boat back to the ship. :eek: There was absolutely nothing nearby and we overheard people asking about taxi's and rides into what did not sound like much of a downtown or the beach and they were quite expensive. :(

Honestly, as much as I rave about C.L., you might want to not book it if there are four other ships in the port. It will be massively crowded.

Yes, I realize that; however we aren't doing the cheapo tour ($45pp); we are doing the ($90pp) one where you are a guest (sans room) for the day of the hotel. I think this one will be a tad less crowded and you get to use everything on the property.

Yes, I realize that; however we aren't doing the cheapo tour ($45pp); we are doing the ($90pp) one where you are a guest (sans room) for the day of the hotel. I think this one will be a tad less crowded and you get to use everything on the property.

I think you are exactly right. We tried to book that for our cruise this Nov but for some reason it is not available to us on that cruise. I think you will really enjoy that particular excursion. Please come back and tell us all about it.

How do you check how many ships will be in port on a certain date?

In our roll call, one of the guys on the cruise is really adept at checking this stuff out and found out that when we are in Samana, there will be 3 other ships.

He's got links - I can post them if you wish.

How do you check how many ships will be in port on a certain date?

Here is a link we always use. Can't attest to how accurate it is, but it's worked for us so far. One tip I can give you for this website is if you can't find the port by looking for the city, look for the country or if you can't find the country look for the city, etc etc. Most are easy to find, but a few are a little tricky.

http://cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx

• 5 months later...

hey we'll be there on the same date as you!!!

Archived