Snuba or Scuba????

Jaymee287

Has anyone ever SNUBA dived before? If so I would love to hear about it! We have never scuba dived either.......which one do ya'll prefer? We are going to do one or the other we are just unsure of which at this point!

Please share your opinion with us!

Has anyone ever SNUBA dived before? If so I would love to hear about it! We have never scuba dived either.......which one do ya'll prefer? We are going to do one or the other we are just unsure of which at this point!

Please share your opinion with us!

SCUBA!!!! We tried the Discover Scuba excursion in Cozumel a couple years ago and fell in love with the sport. We came home, got certified and have had a blast diving ever since. In May we took a camera with us to Roatan. We went to Anthony's Key and requested our own dive master to have a little more private dive. On this dive we saw an amore eel that came out of the coral reef right towards us. DW got one heck of a picture.:D Good luck with whatever you choose.

We are looking into a discover scuba in Cozumel. It's a 4 hour class how much time is actually spent diving? I know you have quite a bit to learn but we don't want to be coop up.......We may book through ShoreTrips.com. For a smaller group size hoping to get through the class a little bit quicker! I've wanted to swim with dolphins since I was little but I may give that up to scuba and try to work it in somewhere else. Since there are 3 of us we can't split up as if there were 4. If you are doing the discover scuba are you allowed to take a camera with you? Since it's the first dive? Please include some more info if you don't mind!

We are looking into a discover scuba in Cozumel. It's a 4 hour class how much time is actually spent diving? I know you have quite a bit to learn but we don't want to be coop up.......We may book through ShoreTrips.com. For a smaller group size hoping to get through the class a little bit quicker! I've wanted to swim with dolphins since I was little but I may give that up to scuba and try to work it in somewhere else. Since there are 3 of us we can't split up as if there were 4. If you are doing the discover scuba are you allowed to take a camera with you? Since it's the first dive? Please include some more info if you don't mind!

When we did the Discover Scuba in Cozumel, there were 6 people in our group. They take a little time to go through the safety measure and hand signals before you dive. I think you are in the water for about 25 minutes. Everyone holds on to a tow rope and the instructor leads you out to about 30' and back to shore. It was pretty neat. I don't think they will allow you to bring a camera. Your hands will be to busy with your regulator, compass/gauges and holding on to the tow rope. We had a great time and came back home and got certified through a local dive shop. You will have a great time. Sand Dollar Sports were very good.:D

I would recommend the discover scuba group in Grand Cayman...sounds far less pedantic than the described "dive" in Coz...and I was allowed to take a camera (though asked when I first got in to not use it until I felt comfortable, which I did almost immediately). In GC, we had a bit of land class, then we were in a pool, learning the basics. Once the basics were down (reg recovery, hand signals, etc), then we got into the ocean...no tow ropes, no need to mess with your reg or gauges, just free diving (playing follow-the-leader) and photoging (for me, anyway :D).

Happy Cruising...and Diving! Cheers!

I did Snuba in St. Thomas a few years ago. I was glad I did, because I now know I wouldn't like Scuba. I prefer snorkeling.

It was nice not having all that gear strapped to you, all we had was a weight belt a mask and a regulator. All the tanks were on a raft above us and we had about a 25' hose.

They spent about 45 minutes going through all the training before taking us out. There were only 6 of us plus the dive master. We were allowed to take cameras and she took pictures that we could purchase if we wanted.

Judy

I am a Master Diver and I would definately recommend scuba to snuba. Not that snuba is bad but the freedom from the tether and the ease of exploration is great. It is so relaxing and quiet down at 80 feet and none talking or making any noise.

I did SNUBA diving in Cozumel and loved it!!!:D Before this I had only done snorkeling - no diving.

My sister and I were the only two people with our guide - she had booked the dive privately. He gave us some basic instructions on land - got us set up with our gear - after about 5 min in a protected cove, when he was sure we were both comfortable, he took us out into the larger dive area. We were able to stay down for about 40 min - he did tell us this was a bit longer than usual, we must have been slow breathers because our air lasted longer than normal.

Some of what I loved the most: 1) After having problems breathing when snorkeling, I had no problems with SNUBA and relaxed after my second breath. 2) There were no gauges to keep track of, my hands were totally free to take pictures. Be sure you have an under water camera if you go. Ours were disposable and the pictures are great.

Whatever you decide on - have a great time.

Archived