renting scooters in nassau

pholmes

Has anyone ever rented scooters in Nassau? Found a site where you can rent scooters for about $45/half day. They have a tour that you can go on but it's $120/scooter. They take you along a scenic coast to the "caves", Jaws Beach and a few other places. Was wondering if we just got the 2 scooters if there was a map that we could get online or buy and just take off to these points of interest ourselves? We would have two scooters and have our 14 and 12yr old along with us. Is this safe? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't so it. We saw a lot of scooter vendors so they are available. The port area is a very busy city area with very bad drivers. We saw a few almost accidents. Some of our tablemates at dinner rented some and said it was a terrible experience. They couldn't enjoy anything because they were too busy watching for all the crazy drivers around them. JMO.

Not a good idea without kids, with kids NO WAY... The roads are congested, the drivers not good, and keep in mind they drive on the left there too. I've seen far too many people come back from renting scooters on various islands limping, bruised, and in casts.

When you leave the dock area there will be taxi vans everywhere, find one to take you on a tour to the places you want to go. It will cost a lot less than $240 and be MUCH safer!

I have a scooter and live in a small beach town in NC. I thought it would be fun to ride one in Nassua. While we made the best of it was not what I would call safe. Neither in the city or the country. many of the roads are in poor shape and the city is unbelievably busy with drivers seemingly going every which way. The scooter itself was not in great shape as the front wheel balance was off causing a great shaking of the wheel at 30 mph. Driving on the left was not a huge problem but i have driven in the islands a fair amount. If you have time on a scooter or motorcycle you may have more confidence, but i would find something else to do.

The traffic congestion in the last 10 years has gotten awful. While planning our last visit to Nassau we thought about renting bicycles. When we got there and saw how awful traffic is - no way! A scooter - even less of a thought.

Cabs and jitneys are great ways to travel.

I agree with the other people. I haven't been there for almost 5 years, but when I was, traffic was horrible.

Honestly, we're going to Nassau in 2 months with 2 teenagers (16 & 18) and I clicked on this thread thinking "that might be a good idea". When I read thru the first few posts, I remembered the traffic.

It would be safer to rent a scooter and try to ride down the Downtown Connector (I-85, I-75, and I-20) in Atlanta then ride one in Nassau. Taxi drivers there were nuts!

We have been to Nassau many times, and there are always folks that can't wait to get off the ship and rent a scooter. Take a look at the scooters when you leave the ship, and you will notice that they are all banged up.

Each time we are there, someone comes back on-board in a wheelchair, covered with road rash and bandages (and/or casts). There have also been several instances where folks were left behind in the hospital from very bad wrecks.

There must be traffic laws and road maintenance in the Bahamas, but I've not seen much evidence of either.

If you want to be safe, let a local handle your driving. It will probably be more of a thrill than you want.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

DH and I rented a scooter for the whole time we were in Bermuda. We had a ball. We used the ferry to get from King's Wharf to St George, with the scooter, then drove back on our 1st full day, stopping at the caves and just generally tooling around. In the course of our visit we drove just about every main road.

BUT, DH is a very experienced motorcycle driver. I was the passenger and very comfortable riding with him. I would never have attemted driving one myself.

I believe the statistics are somewhat misleading, because they will rent to people as young as 16 and a driver's license isn't even required. Add those factors to the "wrong" side of the road and some Dark & Stormy's along the way and you do have a recipe for disaster.

We were there in mid-May - early in the season, so congestion may have been less than high-season. The beaches were pretty empty, too.

You can't rent a car in Bermuda. Not allowed.

This is the bahamas.. and the road conditions are nowhere's near as good as Bermuda.

We have bad roads, potholes, no signage, no lights, traffic and packs of wild dogs as well. Jitneys will run you off the road to get to the next fare, and locals stop in the middle of traffic to chat with thier friends.

This coupled with the fact that there are ALOT of bahamians that drink and drive from morning til nite makes a very dangerous environment for scooters.

Archived