Manchester NH compared to Logan

mark&christa

Has anyone flied out of Manchester NH airport in winter time? How does it compare to Logan on flight delays and cancellations? Thanx for your help

I fly in and out of Manchester winter and summer. Snow seldom results in any significant delays, as with fewer flights they seem to have no trouble finding time for snow removal. The two types of delays they sometimes experience result from incoming flights being held up somewhere, and, of course the time needed for de-icing during ice storms.

On the other hand, Logan occasionally closes for varying lengths of time for snow removal. My worst experience there was a major snowstorm several years ago when I was on my way to the Caribbean and had gone to Boston the day before because I had an early flight the next morning. A major snow storm moved in mid afternoon the Saturday I got to Boston and it was Monday before anything approaching normal operations resumed. Don't recall how MHT did.

Another good winter airport is Portland, Maine. I have flown iin there during a major January snowstorm, when Logan had been closed for 8 or 10 hours. Toughest part of the trip was the drive back here to southern NH.

The biggest MHT shortcoming is that they don't have the choice of flights that Logan has, no international other than Canada, so when flying internationally I have to use Logan.

Bob

As Bob & Chris say, if there is a problem here there's problems everywhere. We once had to stay an extra day in Las Vegas because of east-coast storms, but would have had the same problem at BOS.

We have twice flown out of MHT early because an unexpected opening appeared for us in bad weather.

It is true that we are not an international airport, so for European flights we go 50 miles to BOS.

It's kind of amazing that in September we will be flying from Beijing thru Chicago to MHT, 10 minutes from home.

Archived