Dock and Tender?? Never cruised before please explain.

Jaymee287

We will be cruising next summer on the Legend 6-6-10 - 6-13-10 we are so excited!!! But I have read on here as well as other search engines, that the ship will either dock or tender? Please explain the difference?!? We are cruising to the Western Caribbean: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Isla Roatan.

Also about how quickly does the legend offload passengers (or whatever the term is)? If we book morning excursions will be be ok or should we book maybe a late morning?

Help is appreciated :)

Docking means the port has a pier the ship can tie-up to. They set out the gang plank and you come and go as your wish. Tender means the port has no pier so the ship must anchor off shore and you take small boats called tenders back and forth between ship and shore. On your itinerary Grand Cayman and belize are tender ports, Roatan and Cozumel have piers.

Legend docks in Cozumel and Roatan.. easy ports to get off quick

Grand Cayman and Belize are tendered ports... It is a much longer process to get off the ship as they give thier tours priority debarkation on the tenders...(Plus its about a 15 minute boatride in Belize) You can still get off with the earlier groups if your are early and persistant..

Really enjoyed our trip a few months ago and would go again in a heart beat

Here is a picture of a tender boat in Belize....some may be a little smaller than this one.

KaysSB00096.jpg

Here is a picture of the Valor docked in Roatan. You can see the gangway on the left side of the picture coming out of the ship. The people in the costumes were locals who greeted us when we got of the ship.

SpringBreak09108.jpg

Great Pictures..Now I am a newbie as well..With the tender boats has anyone ever fall of of them? Like getting on the boat and then falling into the ocean? I was telling my mom " I am not to keen on docking and than taking a little boat to shore it looks scarey.

I am going on the Miracle in 35days so I just wanted to know about this as well

Great Pictures..Now I am a newbie as well..With the tender boats has anyone ever fall of of them? Like getting on the boat and then falling into the ocean? I was telling my mom " I am not to keen on docking and than taking a little boat to shore it looks scarey.

I am going on the Miracle in 35days so I just wanted to know about this as well

I have never heard of anyone falling off into the ocean on a tender port. The tender boats can have a lot of movement, but the crew really help you alot. My 75 year old mother, and 81 year old aunt did really well getting on to the tender boats and off of them.

They have enough strong men that grab hold of your arms to help you I do not think they would let you fall.

Even when the waters are rough it goes smooth. My elderly mother has never had a problem.

Just remember the reason you are having to tender to those ports is because it is to shallow for the ship to get any closer, so the tender boats can sometimes be a rough ride to the dock because the water is just rougher when the water is shallow.

I do not like to dive in Cancun for that very reason. I get sick on the dive boat every time. But the ride on the tender boat is usually only about 10 min.

Archived