Rome - time difference for diy or private tour

waterski12001

Will we save a lot of time taking a private shuttle from the port to Rome for the day or is the train quicker? ... we are arriving at 7:00 and our plan is very similar to this itinerary

7:00 8:00 1:00 Get off ship, shuttle to port entrance, walk to train station

8:00 9:20 1:20 Train to Roma (7:59) - next is 8:41

9:20 9:30 0:10 Termini (or Ostiense) to Colosseum

9:30 10:30 1:00 Colosseum

10:30 11:00 0:30 Forum

11:00 11:05 0:05 Taxi to Trevi Fountain

11:05 11:20 0:15 Trevi Fountain

11:20 11:35 0:15 Walk to Pantheon

11:35 12:05 0:30 Pantheon

12:05 12:15 0:10 Walk to Piazza Navona

12:15 12:45 0:30 Piazza Navona

12:45 13:00 0:15 Taxi to St. Peter's Square

13:00 15:00 2:00 St. Peter's / Vatican tour

15:00 15:15 0:15 Taxi to train station (San Pietro?)

15:39 16:57 1:30 Train to Civitavecchia (15:39)

I guess my question is ... aside from the obvious benefit of having a guide explaining the sights adding the color and rich history of the sites.... does having the vehicle providing transport from and to the port as well as between the sights take less time? ... can we get more done?

Thanks to all of you experts!!!!

Wow, you've obviously done your homework! This is a good itinerary. I think this is about as much as you could see in day, either way.

If there is a traffic problem, the train will be the most efficient transportation. Otherwise, you might save some time by using private transport... but of course the cost will be much higher.

Personally, I would take away 15 minutes from the Colosseum and add 30 minutes to the Forum. The Colosseum is amazing, but it's just one thing. The Forum incorporates a lot of significant sites. If you opt for DIY, I would definitely have a printed guide to the Forum and Colosseum, or download/rent audiotours. Rick Steves has some free iPod tours on his website, or the Blue Guide to Rome by Alta Macadam has good print resources.

You might also consider walking, rather than taxi'ing, from Piazza Navona to St. Peter's Square. I think it would take almost the same time to walk as to taxi, and it's a scenic walk.

If you do take a taxi, have it take you to the Vatican Museums for your tour first, rather than to Piazza San Pietro. You will save a few blocks walking, and you can usually exit the Vatican Museums from the Sistine Chapel right-hand door, directly into St. Peter's, without going through security. That will save some time.

Archived