LOST LUGGAGE at Miami Pier

milt

:( On my recent 3-nt. cruise on the Majesty of the Seas sailing from Miami my luggage was lost. Guest relations were kind enough to supply me with a few T-shirts, a voucher for the laundry and a complimentary tuxedo rental. At the end of the cruise I was informed that my bag had not been located at the Miami pier or on the ship and I would get a credit of $150 on my cruise bill. I did not have travel insurance. Obviously my luggage and personal possessions were worth significantly more. Is there any precedent of getting better compensation for my loss from the cruise line?

Check your homeowners policy. It was explained to me recently that your homeowners policy will usually cover this kind of losss.

Sea Island Lady, why does he need to explain? He's just asking for information on claims.

Marilyn

Check your homeowners policy. It was explained to me recently that your homeowners policy will usually cover this kind of losss.

Sea Island Lady, why does he need to explain? He's just asking for information on claims.

Marilyn

My sister-in-law is a serious clothes horse and her washer was broken. She went to the local laundrymatt and went next door to get a sandwich at the deli. We lived in a fairly rural area, so imagine her surprise when she came back a few minutes later and all three of her wahsers were empty!! She had a $200.00 deductible, but got around $600.00 for her stuff from her insurance.

Karen

I believe Sea Island Lady was wondering what steps led up to the loss of the bag so that the rest of us might avoid those same mishaps -- that's how I took it anyway. I would also like to hear whether the airline or the terminal porters lost the bag, etc.

In order to help the OP with their question,

Is there any precedent of getting better compensation for my loss from the cruise line?
, I felt we needed more information on whether the luggage was lost at the pier or on the ship.

The pier porters are not governed by the cruise line, therefore, the cruise line would not be responsible if the luggage was not in their possession when lost. If the luggage was not placed in the storage bin (owned by RCCL), then it could have been stolen or misplaced by one of the porters. Or, the luggage could have been placed in the RCCL bin and then accidentally dumped in the ocean or been lost on the ship somewhere.

If OP has proof that the ship had possession, then he can try for more compensation. That's why I asked the question.:rolleyes:

We had a problem with luggage once while on a RCCL cruise and received $200 pp credit for a future cruise. I had proof that RCCL was at fault.

I think that's really important information for folks to realize -- I sure didn't until I read it a few weeks back. If I understood it correctly, the cruise lines are required to rely on stevedores which are employed by the port (at least in Miami), so the port is responsible for luggage until it is brought aboard ship.

Archived