For those of you who have read Cruise Confidential

Jeafl

Actually that is a rather culturally biased notion. In many eastern cultures people tend to think of the group. As far as Americans being lazy- they work longer hours and have significantly less vacation than most of the rest of the western world. Although I think there is a shift in the cycle, when I worked in the UK it astonished me how laid back things were as compared to similar work situations in the US.

....who knows....it's all a matter of opinion.....and you know what they say about opinions right? :D

Ok I'll bite. What do they say about opinions?

And much of what I posted wasn't opinion but fact. There is a difference.

I can't tell you what they say about opinions.....(it uses an innapropriate word)......I'm sure that most of what you said was fact, but some wasn't... lol ....either way, it doesn't matter cuz what I said was WRONG..... I shouldn't stereotype people! ....especially the people of my country!! shame on me!

I know, right?!! I could hardly stand it. Especially when he started saying how he couldn't even talk to Americans about anything because he doesn't watch TV and the books he reads are too highbrow for them.

To be fair, your average American leads a pretty insulated life and just isn't very bright. The historical average IQ is 100 (and honestly probably lower today), after all.

Give me a break. I bet he got beat up a lot in junior high school.

Hey it's possible to be intelligent AND not get beat up by bullies. It's not too hard to outsmart them, for one thing. :D

I for one read the book and truly enjoyed it (the first half moreso than the second). It's not Shakespeare (or Tolstoy ;)) but it's a good light read, and certainly lends some insight regarding cruise ship crews. I knew they were hard working, but it's amazing what they go through.

I have a friend who works on the Carnival Legend right now and she said that this guy exaggerated what really goes on because he did not get what he wanted from Carnival and that was the Maitre'D position which pays about $60,000 a year. Like she said to me, "Think about it Kathy, if a crew member did everything he said that we do, none of us would be able to work, because we would be in a constant hangovers." She does admit that they do work long hours and after they get off, they have laundry to do, and other things. Kara said that sure some drink, but not like he said they do, and after being of cruises myself, I really do have to wonder about what he said. Kara also said, "He says about some being passed out drunk, if that is the case, they would not be able to be up and sober in 3 or 4 hours to go back to work. When you drink to the point of passing out, you sleep for hours." I told her she needs to write a book about what really goes on below decks.

There is a young man that works for Norwegian Cruise lines that has a blog and posts on YouTube that shows what really goes on with the crew.

"He says about some being passed out drunk, if that is the case, they would not be able to be up and sober in 3 or 4 hours to go back to work. When you drink to the point of passing out, you sleep for hours." I told her she needs to write a book about what really goes on below decks.

There is a young man that works for Norwegian Cruise lines that has a blog and posts on YouTube that shows what really goes on with the crew.

We have seen groups of crewmembers party on the beach all day then see them later on the ship working...........I know for a fact they could not be completely sober when they went to work......

Our tour guide for the Behind the Fun tour on the Pride noted that alot of crew have a problem keeping the drinking in check. As a company, they have had to come up with creative activities that don't promote the consumption of alcohol to try to minimize the problem. Clearly, on a ship where limited activities are available for crewmembers, the crew bar and its below cost alcohol becomes a big draw.

The book's portrayal may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but sobriety and cruise crewmember don't seem a likely pairing.

I have a friend who works on the Carnival Legend right now and she said that this guy exaggerated what really goes on because he did not get what he wanted from Carnival and that was the Maitre'D position which pays about $60,000 a year. Like she said to me, "Think about it Kathy, if a crew member did everything he said that we do, none of us would be able to work, because we would be in a constant hangovers." She does admit that they do work long hours and after they get off, they have laundry to do, and other things. Kara said that sure some drink, but not like he said they do, and after being of cruises myself, I really do have to wonder about what he said. Kara also said, "He says about some being passed out drunk, if that is the case, they would not be able to be up and sober in 3 or 4 hours to go back to work. When you drink to the point of passing out, you sleep for hours." I told her she needs to write a book about what really goes on below decks.

Note to self...Md makes $60,000 a year

Ah, but keep in mind that I wrote of the Carnival of nearly 7 years ago. Much has changed, including time clocks and smoke-free crew bars, among many other improvements. I stand firmly behind every encounter in my book, and knew many, many people who passed out drunk and were at work 3-4 hours later.

As to resentment about being denied my job, remember that I was never guaranteed a maitre D spot, just assistant. I hold no malice towards Carnival at all, and think its the best cruise employer of them all. I spent another three years at sea on numerous cruise lines reaffirming so. In case you still think I was bitter about not getting that $60K job, please note that I had a great run as a higher-paid art auctioneer. I wrote about what I experienced because it was amazing, and it need not be enhanced in any way.

Ah, but keep in mind that I wrote of the Carnival of nearly 7 years ago. Much has changed, including time clocks and smoke-free crew bars, among many other improvements. I stand firmly behind every encounter in my book, and knew many, many people who passed out drunk and were at work 3-4 hours later.

As to resentment about being denied my job, remember that I was never guaranteed a maitre D spot, just assistant. I hold no malice towards Carnival at all, and think its the best cruise employer of them all. I spent another three years at sea on numerous cruise lines reaffirming so. In case you still think I was bitter about not getting that $60K job, please note that I had a great run as a higher-paid art auctioneer. I wrote about what I experienced because it was amazing, and it need not be enhanced in any way.

I know that it can be done because I know many alcoholics that either have done this or do this now....my father was in vietnam and he told me that most drank beer all of the time because the water was bad...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always thought that the carnival crew members were all sweet & innocent....lol.....yup, I'm naive!

Hi Mr. Bruns,

I really need to apologize to you. I thought that what had happened in the book just happened within the last few years. I did not realize that it was over 7 years ago. I will have to say that your book was an eye opener to me about how they are treated by the passengers. I know when I traveled on the Carnival Pride, I had the best room steward there was and since I travel solo, I knew that he would only be receiving tips for one person instead of two, so I gave him $100 in a nice Thank You card. I did not leave the card in the room, I handed it to him, so I could personally thank him for what he did for me. I know that I was not required to give him the extra tip money, but it just seemed like he was always in the area of my room when I was returning to it and he was right there to help me with my walker, carrying things into my room for me and things like that. I only wish I could have given him more. Just like in the dining room, I went the first night, but they put me way in the back and I had to maneuver my walker through 3 work stations and that held the waiters up. I knew how busy they were going to be so after that I just ate on the Lido deck, but what amazed me was the waiter I had in the dining room the first night also worked on the Lido deck and when he would see me he would come over and ask me if there was anything he could do for me, or if he saw me in line, he would just take my tray and carry it for me, so I tipped him double as well. You will never know how much that meant to me. It is very hard trying to carry a tray and push a walker at the same time.

So please accept my apologies for what I posted, and thank you for setting the record straight for me.

So when is your next book coming out?

I can't tell you what they say about opinions.....(it uses an innapropriate word)......I'm sure that most of what you said was fact, but some wasn't... lol ....either way, it doesn't matter cuz what I said was WRONG..... I shouldn't stereotype people! ....especially the people of my country!! shame on me!

Are you sure you aren't thinking of assuming? Making an a** of u and me?

I have not read the book yet, but I sure want to. But just from reading all of the posts here about throwing off the servers time schedule in the dining room, does'nt it seem as though the managment would know that at every meal time there would be qlitches, and allow an additional 15 min. for them? Carnival has been in business a long time, and must know that some passengers will just be difficult.

Not trying to take away from the servers, they are awesome! Just seems to me that these things would be figured in as a matter of course. If you know 5 out 15 people might order extras, or that a few folks will take glasses away, everyday, then it seems like that extra time is just part of the daily routine.

Wow, I must say that I have never had the opportunity to respond to an author online before.

I just finished the book, and while I didn't care for some of the extra-curricular descriptions, I found the depiction of behind the scenes life on a cruise ship very interesting and enlightening. One of my favorite parts was the explanation of the difference between Americans and other nationalities regarding being served-that Americans wanted to become friends with their servers, whereas others tended to expect the wait staff to be invisible.

From my perspective, my wife and I have always tried to take the time to talk to the people who work on the ship, asking them where they were from, etc. We were interested to learn about the naming traditions from Indonesia, and would frequently surprise staff members by knowing that they were the first-born son, or whatever. We would take the time to stop and thank the worker who was busy polishing the banister, and I think that this helped them with what was probably a mostly thankless job. One of our servers worked the midnight buffet, and she was so excited when we stopped by to say hi to her.

We're all on the same ship together, whether we are on vacation or working a job. Everyone deserves a little kindness.

Hi Mr. Bruns,

I really need to apologize to you. I thought that what had happened in the book just happened within the last few years. I did not realize that it was over 7 years ago. I will have to say that your book was an eye opener to me about how they are treated by the passengers. I know when I traveled on the Carnival Pride, I had the best room steward there was and since I travel solo, I knew that he would only be receiving tips for one person instead of two, so I gave him $100 in a nice Thank You card. I did not leave the card in the room, I handed it to him, so I could personally thank him for what he did for me. I know that I was not required to give him the extra tip money, but it just seemed like he was always in the area of my room when I was returning to it and he was right there to help me with my walker, carrying things into my room for me and things like that. I only wish I could have given him more. Just like in the dining room, I went the first night, but they put me way in the back and I had to maneuver my walker through 3 work stations and that held the waiters up. I knew how busy they were going to be so after that I just ate on the Lido deck, but what amazed me was the waiter I had in the dining room the first night also worked on the Lido deck and when he would see me he would come over and ask me if there was anything he could do for me, or if he saw me in line, he would just take my tray and carry it for me, so I tipped him double as well. You will never know how much that meant to me. It is very hard trying to carry a tray and push a walker at the same time.

So please accept my apologies for what I posted, and thank you for setting the record straight for me.

So when is your next book coming out?

Are you kidding, that was one of the sweetest personal experiences I have ever heard! These forums are wonderful opportunities for dialogue between readers and authors. I like the fact that my book gets people discussing. Alas, so many judge a person by his coping mechanisms and not his performance! Your experience reminds us all of just how wonderful these crew members are.

Archived