We saw Dolphins

cruising3times

We live on the mainland across from Galveston Island. Most days the dolphins can be seen playing around Sea Wolf Park and the Bolivar Ferry. We've had them come within a few feet of our boat. They are so fun to watch.

We've seen them from the front of the ship when leaving port. Try going up to the very front.

When we leave port we are usaully in the very front and I still never seen any dolphins. Maybe this cruise I will.

I remember coming on on a flight from Rome to New York, and the runway at JFK is by the water so as the plane was landing we saw about 10-15 dolphins jumping out of the water. Pretty neat.

Last September while sailing the Inside Passage heading to Alaska something caught my eye out the window while I was in my cabin. I took a walk out to the verandah and saw what looked like very choppy water. Then it seemed more like a huge school of fish. I grabbed my binoculars and could make out a huge group of dolphin swimming. There had to be over 50 out there. And the funny thing is that it happened again in another place. A few years earlier on another Alaska cruise, after exiting Glacier Bay the captain detoured to follow some humpback whales. The bonus was spotting a group of seals or sea lions traveling together. I've seen seals before but not in the water traveling like this. It was pretty amazing. Spotting wildlife from a ship is one of my favorite reasons for cruising.

Saw dolphins on both of our Elation cruises out of Galveston. I remember seeing dolphins in the Chesapeake Bay when I was younger. Before the Bridge/Tunnel was built there was a ferry that connected Norfolk and the Eastern Shore. The Dolphins would play around the boat often.

Archived