tours of the islands in the caribbean

jayne1961

were going on the oceana in october to the caribbean could you tell me is it better to do ship tours of the different islands or do your own tours please help:)

What Island are you trevelling to? We have been twice and going again on Oceana November, 2 of the ports we have been to before. I have replied to another post yesterday with a similar question.

I've done all of those ports and they are easily done on your own. St Martan is the best for shopping and an easy 20 min walk into town or you can catch a water taxi. However it is very flat so walking isn't difficult - walk to the far end of the beach and the price of sunbed and buckets of beer goes down. It's a great fun port. Tortola is really beautiful and there are large open air jeep type vechicals at the port who will take large groups to the beach or on a tour. You just say where you want to go and a marshall will point which jeep to join. You agree a time back and you will be picked up from the beach. The beach can get crowded but is lovely with pelicans diving. Plus going through the British Virgin Islands coming out of port was one of my highlights. Barbados has fabulous beaches - loved the Boat Yard beach club which is walkable or a cheap taxi ride. The town is easily walkable from the ship and you go past the bus terminal and a fantastic fish market. No need for a tour unless you really want to. Loads of taxis at the terminal. Antigua is the same just get a taxi and save yourself money. We didn't do one organised tour and had a great time supporting the local economies. Just remember always agree the fare first so you don't have any nasty shocks - most places have the fares displayed anyway. Enjoy l'm going again on the Ventura 1/1/10 and can't wait.

hi buster parry we are going to antigua,barbados,tortola,st marteen.and i was thinking what is best to do the ship tours or our own.what did you do?.:)

Hi, My partner and I have been to some of the places, as the other post says best getting a taxi alot of the time and negotiate a price, but when we went to Grenada we booked on line with A&E Tours for a general Island tour,he was recommended on Cruise Critic, sorry dont have his email but if you google you can find it email him and ask for a price, from what I can remember he was very reasonable and the more people you can get the cheaper it is. It was an excellent tour, but sadly the weather was very, very wet!

Tortola- We got a mini bus outside the terminal with other passengers, went on a tour then a few hours at a very nice beach.

ST Maarten-Joyce Prince, same as Grenada we got her through a recommendation and she took us to the Dutch side as well, very good tour, as the other post says the shops are very good, but negotiate. Google and email her it was a very good tour.

ST Vincent-Again transport outide the terminal.

Barbados- was the same lots of taxis touting for business, we had a really good tour of the Island and then to a beach for a couple of hours. Again negotiate a price.

Sorry don't know about the other ports, you could look on cruise critic Ports of Call, this is where we get alot of really good information and recommendations.

Regards

Margaret

Archived