Snorkeling with bad knees

ACD5

Would love to try snorkeling during Western Careibbean cruise on Carnival Legend in January. I have bad knees and am concerned about getting back into the boat from the water via a ladder. Pulling myself up via ladder will be diffcult or virtually non-doable. Looking for suggestions of which snorkeling excursion in which port might accomodate easy access....either thru ship or independent company.This 60+ lady with bad knees would love to try. I am a swimmer and swim daily in a pool but getting in and out is via steps not a ladder. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I have also posted this question on "Ask a Cruise Question"

Would love to try snorkeling during Western Careibbean cruise on Carnival Legend in January. I have bad knees and am concerned about getting back into the boat from the water via a ladder. Pulling myself up via ladder will be diffcult or virtually non-doable. Looking for suggestions of which snorkeling excursion in which port might accomodate easy access....either thru ship or independent company.This 60+ lady with bad knees would love to try. I am a swimmer and swim daily in a pool but getting in and out is via steps not a ladder. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Yes, the ladder will be difficult for you. Have you considered a "shore snorkel"? You didn't give your ports you'll be visiting but many islands have beaches that offer shore snorkels. You enter from the beach and when you return you can literally snorkel to inches of water where all you do is turn around and sit up, take off your fins and walk onto the beach (you can also do this in 3 ft. of water if getting up is an issue).

If a shore snorkel isn't available then try to book a snorkel cruise on a big catamaran. They have ladders that extend into the water and it's more like walking up a 5-6 step set of stairs instead of a shakey ladder.

Good luck and enjoy!

Randall

I have had bi-lateral knee surgery and also have trouble with ladders... that said, you might consider the "fury" catamaran in Cozumel... it does have the steps/ladder that lowers down into the water, but also had a small hand rope to help with re boarding the boat... they were most helpful with assisting in getting back on board!!! , and the rum punch after wards really helped with the knees...lol...

Scubaran - Beach access sounds perfect and thanks for the hint about the catamaran steps.

Oldmedic - Your information also is much appreciated....especially rum, of course for medicinal purposes only LOL!!!

Our ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Belize. I'm finding some excursions via ship that are on a beach with snorkeling! I also see Catamaran excursions. May just have to do both since I have 3 ports with snorkeling.

Thank you both!!!

Scubaran - Beach access sounds perfect and thanks for the hint about the catamaran steps.

Oldmedic - Your information also is much appreciated....especially rum, of course for medicinal purposes only LOL!!!

Our ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Belize. I'm finding some excursions via ship that are on a beach with snorkeling! I also see Catamaran excursions. May just have to do both since I have 3 ports with snorkeling.

Thank you both!!!

you might want to contact Capt. Marvin's in Grand Cayman, it is a short walk to their office from the dock and they are a great snorkel excursion... depending on the boat that is used, some of the ladders reach down into the water about 8 ft or so.... again, they were very helpful about getting us back onboard... they do two reef snorkels and a visit to stingray city...you can do a search at youtube.com with captain marvins sting ray city as the search object and see some wonderful video...

GO FOR IT!

Just do some searches on the old INTERNET and email the captains of the different charters to see which one will work best for you.

Some of the large Cats have stairs instead of ladders and of course snorkeling from shore is always an option depending on where you are.

I know the problem this can cause. But as others have mention some of the caterman tours have steps to walk down and back up to the deck. Another option in Cozumel is one that my wife and I took a couple years ago. Was called Punta Sur Eco tour. It took us out to see a light house, some other sites and then snorkeling at a beach. This was one where you wore a life jacket and sent in and did a drift snorkel along some coral. The bottom was proabbly never more than 10 feet down. Then once you got to a certain point you headed back into shore and walked up to the beach. Wife does not snorkel so she just enjoed the time sitting on the beach. Was pretty neat little excursion.

In Grand Cayman first time there explored the island, did the semi sub and turtle farm. Second time there we did stingray beach. Not the snorkeling part but the stingray were fantastic. Even wife enjoyed it once she got over the intial fear.

The Ump

John

I know the problem this can cause. But as others have mention some of the caterman tours have steps to walk down and back up to the deck. Another option in Cozumel is one that my wife and I took a couple years ago. Was called Punta Sur Eco tour. It took us out to see a light house, some other sites and then snorkeling at a beach. This was one where you wore a life jacket and sent in and did a drift snorkel along some coral. The bottom was proabbly never more than 10 feet down. Then once you got to a certain point you headed back into shore and walked up to the beach. Wife does not snorkel so she just enjoed the time sitting on the beach. Was pretty neat little excursion.

In Grand Cayman first time there explored the island, did the semi sub and turtle farm. Second time there we did stingray beach. Not the snorkeling part but the stingray were fantastic. Even wife enjoyed it once she got over the intial fear.

The Ump

John

Thank you John, good info!

GO FOR IT!

Just do some searches on the old INTERNET and email the captains of the different charters to see which one will work best for you.

Some of the large Cats have stairs instead of ladders and of course snorkeling from shore is always an option depending on where you are.

I'm currently searching! CC members are terrific! thanks

• 1 month later...

I agree that cats are easier to get on with stairs that go down into the water - If I were you I'd research various providers, contact them and let them know about your limitations and ask what they think.

If push comes to shove :D I'm sure others on board would be happy to give you a boost and/or pull you up if you let them know you need assistance.

You didn't say where you are going but there is some great shore snorkeling - if you post your ports of call we can help you with specifics on that too.

Enjoy! HCBI

Roatan has good snorkeling off the shore. What date in Jan?

Archived