Please recommend your dive equiptment....

aostrows

Hello,

I have to agree with Bruce about the masks. As for the fins, I would recommend booties and open heel fins. If you decide to go for the full foot fin, make sure that they are comfortable. They shold be a little snug on a dry foot because your feet do shrink a little in the water. The nice thing about a bootie is that you can walk on hot sand/beaches or rocks, you don't have to bring sandals or shoes. As for the make, it is usually a personal preference, but comfort is the #1 priority.

I agree with both of the above. The best mask is the one that fits. Unfortunately, our LDS doesn't carry enough brands, and those they do don't fit me properly. So while in Grand Cayman I found a shop with a ton of masks to choose from, so I tried on pretty much every single one and bought one there. It just has to fit YOUR face or you'll hate it.

P.S. No my face is not deformed, lol. It's a bit narrow though, and I find most masks are geared towards a bigger, wider, man's face.

I also prefer open heel fins with short boots for the reasons mentioned above, particulary doubling the booties as water shoes. I find full foot fins either rub my heels or come off.

I echo the sentiments about finding a mask that fits. Spend good money of the mask because it literally is your view to the underwater world. I like the single glass vs the split dual glass type masks just because for my face, it offers a better uninterrupted view. When you find masks that fit, buy 2 and bring both along. I have ScubaPro masks. I also use a defogging solution on every dive.

For full foot vs open heel, definitely go short boots/open heel. I find this setup to be more comfortable plus also adaptable if you choose to dive in colder water. My setup is 2 sets of SeaSoft boots (Sunrays for warm, Stealth for cold water).

As for fins, I prefer split fins because I find them easier to work in the water. Some also find it easier on their knees. I use ScubaPro Twin Jets. Depending on your experience, you may want to opt for fins that are negative buoyant which also tend to be stiffer. Mine are slightly positive which I always hated until the first time they dropped into the ocean off the boat.

Archived