Recommendations for Southern Caribbean Itinerary?

morecruise4me

We are booked on an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise in Feb/Mar 2010 and would like to do a mix of snorkeling and island tours. Which islands, IN YOUR OPINION, have the better snorkeling? List below.

St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Curacao, Puerto Rico.

Hey your intinerary looks like so much fun. I have only dove in Grenada with Native Spirit which was a good shop and a good dive beautiful coral fish and kind of cool underwater sculpture garden, Curucao (sp) good beach dive my hubby liked that one better than I did, but I do like it at times when I can layout and then dive when I want to the beach we went to had a shop there. Aruba was interesting we dove there twice both times different dive shops that we didn't like (red sail poor equiptment, and dive with martin single man operation, literaly) Aruba had nice wreck dives, but very rocky diving -boat rocking- take dramamine. Good luck if you are diving you really can't go wrong. In Dominica we went to the waterfalls which was really pretty, but I have heard the diving is good there too. Puerto Rico I haven't heard anything good about diving there and we have been there a couple of times. I hope this helps.

What a fabulous itinerary! On Curacao, we've done both a boat snorkel and snorkeled from shore. Although you'll see a lot more fish on a boat snorkel, we did see a nice variety at Playa Porto Mari on our last visit to Curacao. http://www.playaportomari.com/ We put together a group from our roll call on CC to go out to this beach, or you could grab a cab, negotiate a tour to spend a couple hours at the beach and then an island tour. On Dominica, you could snorkel at Champagne Reef. Very unique opportunity here. These bubbles (the "champagne")percolate up around you, but there are also a nice variety of fish and coral. You can visit Champagne Reef as part of an island tour. We did this with Reyno Tours. He does a nice tour to Trafalgar Falls and the Emerald Pool or Titou Gorge and you can visit Mr Nice Fruit Stand to sample some local fruit. You can make Champagne Reef your last stop. Contact Reyno at reynotours@hotmail.com. Barbados is such a lovely island. Lots to see and do. We've done a boat snorkel there, and a lot of people like to do snorkel trips that take them to see shipwrecks and to see turtles. Silver Moon is one that gets lots of great recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Dominica is a beautiful, unspoiled island with waterfalls and lots of natural beauty. Champagne Reef in Dominica is a most unique snorkeling experience and I would highly recommend it. You should have time to tour the island, see the waterfalls, etc. and also snorkel at Champagne Reef. If you are not interested in seeing the island and waterfalls, etc. at least be sure to get to Champagne Reef. You will love it!!;)

Archived