Celebrity vs. HAL

gordons4

Hi everyone,

We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise for next spring. I have it narrowed down to Celebrity and HAL. I can't really decide based on the ports, so I'm asking for some input on the cruiselines.

We have sailed twice before--both times on HAL to Alaska. We really like HAL, but we've also heard wonderful things about Celebrity. My gut instinct is to go with HAL, but that's mainly because I don't like change. :)

Can anyone give input on both cruiselines--or just tell me why you choose Celebrity?

Thanks so much,

Sheri

I have sailed both HAL and Celebrity several times. I too tend toward HAL over Celebrity because I love the larger cabins and balconies. On the other hand, Celebrity has a little bit more of a Hip vibe or younger feeling. Food on both is sometimes great, sometimes OK. Can't really go wrong with either one.

My husband and I love both lines but for Ak we would select Hal over X, ship size and ports also make a difference. Europe we would prefer X, we have been on the Rotterdam and Millennuim in the Med and enjoyed both but liked X for service, variety of pax, food. Both lines offer good value, good service and a great vacation.

Since you said that you don't like change and have sailed with HAL, that might be a good reason to stick with them.

Unfortunately, it has been several years since my last HAL cruise and I have sailed on the Infinity.

What I like about HAL:

-real promenade deck

-access to bow for viewing. I really missed this on the Infinity when we went through the Panama Canal. I am short and being able to see and take photos above the security glass on the Infinity was tough. We did have a great cabin overlooking the bow of the ship, but it was mostly good for looking straight ahead and not good for taking photos.

Be aware that I haven't had a bad cruise yet and am more interested in the itinerary and can deal with most things as long as my safety isn't compromised.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi everyone,

We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise for next spring. I have it narrowed down to Celebrity and HAL. I can't really decide based on the ports, so I'm asking for some input on the cruiselines.

We have sailed twice before--both times on HAL to Alaska. We really like HAL, but we've also heard wonderful things about Celebrity. My gut instinct is to go with HAL, but that's mainly because I don't like change. :)

Can anyone give input on both cruiselines--or just tell me why you choose Celebrity?

Thanks so much,

Sheri

Hello we have sailed on both Hall (3 times) and Celebrity (4 times) and will be on the Celebrity Constellation for the Panama Canal trip next. We love Hal but Celebrity is just a notch better with food, service and a younger crowd. Hal we found a touch too quiet. The Med cruise we took a TA with X and it was the best ever. Book and aft balcony on X and you will get oodles of room (double the balcony size of regular rooms on M class ships) and the pricing these days is great.

Happy sailing

Claudette

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much,

Sheri

You didn't say which two ships you are comparing. :confused: That could make a difference in our replies too. I did the Panama C on X but would not be too disappointed on HAL I'm sure.

sailed X 6 times: sailed HAL 6 times

The real edge for Celebrity--smoking policy. If you like cig smoke then you will probably prefer HAL.

HAL--I prefer their beds. Better Mattresses.

differences which are not necessarily better or worse.

-- Celebrity employees many Europeans.

Hal employees Indonesians and Filipinos

I perceive the age of passengers on Hal to be about 3-5 years older than on Celebrity on comparable cruises.

I like both cruise lines.

Thanks for all the replies, and for anyone else who wants to chime in, I'm all ears.

You guys have given me a lot to consider. No smoke vs. really good beds is a biggie--I want both. :eek:

The ship size could make a difference, too. On HAL we are looking primarily at Maasdam, which is quite a bit smaller than the Infinity or Constellation we're looking at with Celebrity. But we're also considering the Zuiderdam with HAL as well.

Thanks again for all the help. Bottomline, you've all convinced me we can't go wrong with either line. :)

Sheri

Archived