Ulu's in Alaska

Kschn3671

Does anybody know if there are restrications on buying an ulu (Type of Alaskian Knife) at an Alaskian board and bringing them back on board the ship. I heard that Carnival doesnt allow you to buy them and other cruiselines make you check them when you get back on board.

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Hi,

We were on the Infinity to Alaska from 8/14 to 8/21. On the Celebrity daily during the Ketchikan stop, they made a special note in the daily saying that ALL Ulu knives will be confiscated upon entry of the ship and be returned to you on the last day.

Sure enough, they took the 2 knives we bought and the 2 my in-laws bought when they scanned our shopping bags when we came back and ship security took the knives, packed them with our cabin number tag and the knives were in our cabin the very last day we were in Victoria so we can pack them in our flight check in luggage.

If sailing from Seattle, be sure to pick up the Alaska book at the dock side as it has many valuable coupons for shopping, including discounts to the Ulu knives.

I went to Alaska with my family a few years and we just waited till the last port to buy our ulu knives and then we just went to the post office in Ketchikan and had them mailed home. We still had to fly home so this seemed like the easiest solution.:o

We just returned from the August 21st Infinity sailing. We bought three ulu knives at Knifeworks in Juneau. They had the best selection we found between Ketchikan and Juneau and seemed to have the most helpful, knowledgeable staff. As others have stated, upon boarding the ship in Juneau, the security staff took the knives, labeled them with our name and room number and they were returned to us the last night of the cruise. Frankly, I think this policy is lame. You could just as easily hurt someone on the ship the last night of the cruise as you could any other night, so I really don't see how this prevents whatever risk they think they are addressing. But, it was a simple enough process. Of course, the information they provide on board will tell you the "easiest" thing to do is buy your ulu knives on board the ship. The selection is minimal and the prices high. Shop in port and follow the security procedure.

Whatever you do do not cut yourself with that thing. I was drying one last year and slit my finger. 10 stitches later, a huge loss of blood and 8 hours in the emergency room.

Very sharp but they cut bear bones and fish so they have to be.

I will never touch mine again. Its on display now.

Archived