Spirit-venice to athens review

Mameypeak

Agree with all the good advice above. And yes, it is easy to get lost (esp. at night, and a tad spooky if you remember the movie "Don't Look Now" ;) ), so get a map. Two other suggestions: (1) walk or take a water taxi (vaporetto) to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection on the Grand Canal - it is great; and (2) if the weather is decent, take a vaporetto to the island of Lido and stroll around and go to a cafe - lovely to see how people live there.

You are right ... so much to see. Lido is nice and of course is so big it doesn't really feel like an island so my favourite vap. accessible island is Burano. Scenic, local people, as you know to me that always means eating with the locals ...:)

3585321-lg.jpg

burano-venice.jpg

Murano is also good if you want to hunt out some glass as you can just wander in and watch the "blowers" and buy. But it's best to go really early and avoid the organised trips.

A visit to Torcello to wander and see the cathedral is also a great way to spend an hour or so.

800px-Torcello_2.jpg

The picture posted by Jeff of the church on Torcello is excellent, however the "Last Judgement" inside, alone, is worth the trip. It is farther than Murano or Burano but absolutely worth the trip. Imo Burano is one of the most picturesque places to visit anywhere. Their use of color boggles the mind.

Those picture of Burano are making me drool - absolutely luscious colors and gorgeous. Thanks for posting those (hmm, hadn't planned on a trip to Venice in the near future but may have to rethink that now).

Go! Glad you liked the piccies and they hit the wander-lust glands! :D

If you have a choice, pick winter. No time beats winter. Go when every piece of data tells you the tourists aren't there. If it's a short trip avoid weekends.

Have Venice to yourself and just mooch aimlessly around.

:)

Good advice. We've been to Venice only the once many years ago - in late September and it was glorious in all respects - fantastic, sunny weather, no smell from the canals, and no real crowds to speak of. We did as you suggest, just a lot of mooching around, aimless wandering, and eating where and when something seemed good. Friends of ours who went a week or so before us had miserable weather and they claimed the canals were particularly stinky - go figure. We did not make it to Burano when we went and I now see from your pics that it is a must do.

Good advice. We've been to Venice only the once many years ago - in late September and it was glorious in all respects - fantastic, sunny weather, no smell from the canals, and no real crowds to speak of. We did as you suggest, just a lot of mooching around, aimless wandering, and eating where and when something seemed good. Friends of ours who went a week or so before us had miserable weather and they claimed the canals were particularly stinky - go figure. We did not make it to Burano when we went and I now see from your pics that it is a must do.

Thanks.

Your comments explain why I so passionately believe it important to hear about places one is travelling to from others who know the places really well, rather than say just have been once or so before. When travellers take tips from others who have been say only once or twice they will likely only scratch a superficial surface. The nicest thing you can do for a stranger travelling to somewhere you have spent years getting to know is to share what you have learned and your secrets. That's why I take the trouble.

That would have meant - if you had - not missing Burano .....;)

So go back .......:)

Thank you both for the excellent advice. I really do appreciate it when those in the know share their experience and wisdom. A trip to Venice is in my future now I see ;)

Good for you ...

I have always felt that us Europeans were blessed to have such a variety of cultures and languages and places within a couple of hours flying of anywhere and Americans and Australians for example who have to travel for so much longer and less frequently should do a lot of prep and ask for and listen to a lot of suggestions from locals rather than other infrequent visitors.

And the other side of that coin is receiving wisdom and knowledge when we go the other way .... to the US.:D

How for example would my wife have survived if we hadn't been pointed to such memorable experiences as finding a gold nugget when panning for gold in Dahlonega! Etc. Etc.

:)