Warnemunde Advice Please?

sarar

I will be visiting Warnemunde soon and have read a port review on hear where it says you can walk from the ship into Warnemunde town, but it said "You can walk from the terminal straight into town. (Wheelchair users: note that there is an underpass -- with steps and no lift -- under the railway.)", does anyone know if this means I will not be able to go to town with my family?

I will be visiting Warnemunde soon and have read a port review on hear where it says you can walk from the ship into Warnemunde town, but it said "You can walk from the terminal straight into town. (Wheelchair users: note that there is an underpass -- with steps and no lift -- under the railway.)", does anyone know if this means I will not be able to go to town with my family?

If no one specifically answers here, I would suggest you also post this question on tripadvisor.com. The walkway that you describe above is the most direct way into town. I have not used it, but you can see it on Google maps and I recall people walking in that direction when we visited. The ships line up along a peninsula directly beside a few railroad tracks that terminate very near the ships. The walkway goes under the tracks into town. But looking at Google maps aerial photograph mode, it appears you MIGHT be able to walk along the waterfront a little ways and then access another road that is beyond where the train tracks stop. This would be a slightly longer route into town, but not that far. On the Google maps aerial photograph view there is someone riding a bike on this road as if they were headed to the water front. So it appears to be accessible from the waterfront. BUT, it is not possible to know for certain. It could be fenced off from the waterfront.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

MeHeartCruising has interpreted the aerial photo absolutely correctly, you can walk into town with a wheelchair.

On leaving the ship turn right along the waterfront in the normal way but instead of turning into the lane to the left signed 'Bahnhof' which would take you to the underpass, carry on along the pier. About 50m further on (past the motor-home park) there is a ramp and gate in the fence leading to the car park. Cross the car park to the road, turn left and follow the road until you reach the junction with the main pedestrian route from the station. It only takes an extra 5 mins or so.

The only time this route may be closed is when a small cruise ship is occupying berths 1-4, in 2014 that will happen on 22/06, 27/07, 31/07, 4/08, 23/08. On these dates it might be advisable to take a taxi as the alternative is a longish walk to the next station, Warnemünde Werft, where the underpass does not have steps. Hopefully Warnemünde is high on the list for a station up-grade and the removal of the underpass which is now obsolete as the trains no longer travel beyond the station. The locals have been campaigning for years, we can only keep our fingers crossed.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com