Specifics for HoHo Boat

Here are a couple of details about the green HoHo boat I think are helpful. (These may have been posted many times but I was expecting to dock someplace other than Stadsgarden so I focused on Bus 76 info. Surprise!)

Green stop "E" is the preferred stop for pier 165 and 167. Green stop "F" ( near the photography museum ) is the preferred stop for pier 160. Neither of these stops is a manned stop.Not knowing what we were doing and lacking an employee to ask we kept walking until Green stop "G, " the first stop in Gamla Stan. There's an employee there selling tickets. However, if we had just believed the sign -- if we had trusted the force -- we could have saved ourselves quite a few steps. The route does stop a both places where the sign is placed. I assume the on board employee would have handled ticket sales.

The route is clockwise. Only clockwise. So plan your day so you don't have to loop around unnecessarily. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

There is also a HOHO boat in Oslo (although not in Gamla Stan, obviously). Plus there are boats in Copenhagen, Oslo, and Helsinki which perform HOHO functions, but they are not called HOHO (e.g. the "ferry" in Oslo and the "canal tour" in Copenhagen).

I usually agree that it is best to avoid HOHO buses and boats whenever possible, but if you are docking in Stadsgarden and you want to visit the Vasa museum, HOHO boats are a great option since they run directly to Vasa until 10 am since most of the other attractions aren't open yet. From Stadsgarden, the HOHO boats are a very quick and enjoyable way to get to Vasa prior to 10 am (I don't know how long it takes them to reach Vasa after 10 am since they will be making all stops). Stromma sells one ride tickets for 50 SEK on the boat, so it isn't too expensive.

I usually agree that it is best to avoid HOHO buses and boats whenever possible, but if you are docking in Stadsgarden and you want to visit the Vasa museum, HOHO boats are a great option since they run directly to Vasa until 10 am since most of the other attractions aren't open yet. From Stadsgarden, the HOHO boats are a very quick and enjoyable way to get to Vasa prior to 10 am (I don't know how long it takes them to reach Vasa after 10 am since they will be making all stops). Stromma sells one ride tickets for 50 SEK on the boat, so it isn't too expensive.

I agree that the direct route to Vasa in the morning is very good but other then that they are very inflexible and are not that good as a transport option.

Generally I don't recommend the HoHo boats since they go in the wrong direction which mean that it will take a long time to get from one thing to another if they aren't located in the same order as the HoHo boats' stops.

I can't disagree with anything you've written, but we were faced with the following situation : the port calendar showed our ship coming in at Vartahamnen, I'd researched Bus 76 -- name of appropriate stop to board and alight, how to prepay my fare -- everything. Arrival day we're hearing information about berth 160 in Stadsgarden. I had no information about getting to the VASA museum from this new location. We approached a taxi but passed when the quoted fixed fare was the equivalent of $45. So we started walking toward Gamla Stan. We passed the little stand for what turned out to be the green HoHo boat, near the photography museum, but without a time table or map on the signage, we weren't inclined to wait there. We kept walking until we got to the first of the two Old Town boat stops. This was staffed by two employees. From that point the ride would be three stops to VASA. Under the circumstances, we happily bought HoHo tickets and began our day in Stockholm.

After this experience, you can appreciate why we were happy the boat option existed even if less than optimal. My details are intended to help others in a similar situation, especially those who may not be able to walk as we did.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I recently contacted Stromma to confirm they would run early, direct boats from Stadsgarden area to VASA for an upcoming cruise. They responded twice saying that they would not. They would be running a regular schedule beginning at 10:00 am. I have yet to contact other boat companies, however Stromma was pretty clear that they would not be an option for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't disagree with anything you've written, but we were faced with the following situation : the port calendar showed our ship coming in at Vartahamnen, I'd researched Bus 76 -- name of appropriate stop to board and alight, how to prepay my fare -- everything. Arrival day we're hearing information about berth 160 in Stadsgarden. I had no information about getting to the VASA museum from this new location. We approached a taxi but passed when the quoted fixed fare was the equivalent of $45. So we started walking toward Gamla Stan. We passed the little stand for what turned out to be the green HoHo boat, near the photography museum, but without a time table or map on the signage, we weren't inclined to wait there. We kept walking until we got to the first of the two Old Town boat stops. This was staffed by two employees. From that point the ride would be three stops to VASA. Under the circumstances, we happily bought HoHo tickets and began our day in Stockholm.

After this experience, you can appreciate why we were happy the boat option existed even if less than optimal. My details are intended to help others in a similar situation, especially those who may not be able to walk as we did.

Ok I understand your situation, but you could have used the Harbour ferry from Slussen which would likely have been faster, you could also have used

bus #76 from Slussen although in the opposite direction even though it probably wouldn't have been easy to figure out where to buy bus tickets (Slussen subway station).

Edited by Desdichado62

Ok I understand your situation, but you could have used the Harbour ferry from Slussen which would likely have been faster, you could also have used

bus #76 from Slussen although in the opposite direction even though it probably wouldn't have been easy to figure out where to buy bus tickets (Slussen subway station).

I'll likely stop participating often on this board after I get home and share some information I think others would appreciate. I know you'll be around continuing to help others. I can only urge you to post information about taking the 76 bus from Slussen in the opposite direction or the harbor ferry since our experience clearly shows even the most precise Plan "A" needs a back up Plan "B" and,, perhaps, even a Plan "C".