Ponte del Este and Montevideo

oslofjord

We are on the QM2 that arrives in Ponte del Este Feb 5, 2016 for two days but there is no visit to Buenos Aries--go figure!!! Anyway we want to spend our time in Montevideo, rather than the resort town. We would like to go from Ponte del Este to Montevideo, stay overnight, see the city and then return the next day to the ship in Ponte del Este. Any suggestions on how to do this? We would prefer a private guide/taxi for the trip to/from Montevideo. Also for sightseeing in the city. Any suggestions of where to stay in central Montevideo would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oslofjord

In 2014 we had a wonderful 2 dyas with Herbert Sismondi in Montevideo and Uruguay. He may be able to help you. Email is hsis@asxinet.com.uy. He showed us around both Montevideo and Punta del Este and is an excellent resource. He also does Buenos Aires, but you would need to check into whether you need to pay the reciprocity fee (my guess is yes) to visit.

We'll be doing Punta del Este, Montevideo and Buenos Aires among Rio and many others on the Norwegian Sun's Dec. 23, 2016 cruise. So I am following this thread with particular interest.

We've been to Buenos Aires before. Looking forward to Uruguay.

Does anyone know if there is transportation back to the Celebrity ship during

the Carnival Parade. I know the shows can run until 4a.m.

Please email at mcohen5463@gmail.com

Hi!

Looks like you're a new CC poster and haven't quite learned the ropes. This thread is related to Ponte del Este and Montevideo. Your questions should be posted on threads that relate to your topic. And, its best to check with your sailing's Roll Call. There are I'm sure many others on your sailing that have researched and identified what to do and see in those ports, and that have organized private tours.

Sam

In 2014 we had a wonderful 2 dyas with Herbert Sismondi in Montevideo and Uruguay. He may be able to help you. Email is hsis@asxinet.com.uy. He showed us around both Montevideo and Punta del Este and is an excellent resource. He also does Buenos Aires, but you would need to check into whether you need to pay the reciprocity fee (my guess is yes) to visit.

You are correct. Entry to Argentina requires proof of payment of the reciprocity fee.

We are on the QM2 that arrives in Ponte del Este Feb 5, 2016 ... We would like to go from Ponte del Este to Montevideo, stay overnight, see the city and then return the next day to the ship in Ponte del Este. Any suggestions on how to do this? We would prefer a private guide/taxi for the trip to/from Montevideo. Also for sightseeing in the city.

FWIW: DW and I are on the same voyage and we plan to go to Montevideo by bus after arriving in PDE. I understand it is about two hours (80 mi/140km) each direction with frequent service in either direction. Whether we overnight at MV is still open. One vendor offered day trips to MV - 8 hours, incl transport, for about $90, but it is not available Feb 5th. So, we're still in the planning stage.

Does anyone have a list of must see sights in Buenos Aires? Will be there

Jan 31-Feb 1, 2016. We will be on the Celebrity Infinity and are 4 adults.

Please email at mcohen5463@gmail.com

Greetings!

My husband and I will be at the same cruise as guest speakers. This is my 4th season in South America and will be glad to share info. Let me know how many days you plan to stay in BA.

My e mail address is:jelena@skitara.com

Cheers,

Jelena