Kids Club ages- right on the cusp?

hpugirl27

This will be my first time utilizing the Kids Club on an upcoming cruise. Do any of you have experience with having kids in an age group where they are right on the cusp? Specifically 5 or 6 year olds? I see the groups are broken into 2-5 or 6-8 year olds. My son is going to be 2 weeks shy of his 6th birthday on the cruise. Would they put him in with 2 year olds, or call it close enough and move him up with the 6 year old kids?

Interested to hear if your 5 year olds enjoyed the activities in the younger group. Thanks!

We traveled last October (not many kids on the ship) and my daughter was 5 when we sailed but turned 6 a few days into the cruise.

I did ask if she could move up to the 6 year olds and they said yes without hesitation. I only wanted her moved up because my other daughter was 7 and I really wanted them together. I'm not sure if they said yes because there weren't many kids or because she was turning 6 anyway.

If it weren't for my other daughter being in that group, I probably wouldn't have cared either way. It was our 1st cruise, but they were so good with the kids that I'm sure she would have had fun either way.

Ask once you get on the cruise, but be prepared for a no. I think you'll have better luck when kids are traditionally in school.

I'm thankful that our district (and most of our state) gives a weeklong fall break in October. Its the best time to travel as long as a hurricane isn't stirring up things.

Thank you for your replies! I'm not even sure what I would want their answer to be. If the older group would be "too old" or if he might be bored in with the younger group. I guess we'll find out when we get there!

We are cruising Jan 4th- 9th, his bday won't be until a few days after that, so it won't occur on the cruise. Either way, it's his first cruise, so I'm sure he'll have fun no matter what! I'm just a crazy planner and like to know things ahead of time, haha.

Your five year old will be in the 2-5 class, but he will have a great time. The crafts, activities, games are simply wonderful. When the last cruise was over, I felt like I needed a small suitcase to bring home all of their crafts and coloring papers. We had sand art necklaces, foam pirate hats, t-shirts decorated, and lots of "Mommy, look what I did" papers...plus the final day gift of mini school supplies. My kids had the best time ever, and I loved it knowing they were having fun (and safe) and I could relax and enjoy my cruise too!

Edited by ladygal4.4

last year, our son was on the cusp of 8/9 and they were happy to move him to the 9-12yr old group. only problem with that was he had to actually be 9 to have the "free roam" without parent sign in/out. it didnt matter that i had given both verbal and written consent for him to be able to go in/out as he pleased, they still wouldnt let him. So, he didnt have as much fun because the group he was in with, were able to roam freely, and he had to stay. i moved him back down to the 6-8 age group, and he got bored cause there were more younger ones than older ones. he still had fun, though. he cant wait until next years! he was upset he didnt go on this years! LoL

Edited by KLD1019

When my kid was a month away from turning 6 they let us bump her up. They did caution us though that it is easier to move up than it is to move back so to make sure we wanted to move or to even spend a day or two with the younger group because they could move her up during the week but not really back.

My son was a few weeks shy of his 6th birthday last September and I requested that he be moved up to the 6-8 year old group. That group was better suited for him than the 2-5 (he also had a brother in each group). They agreed on a trial basis, and he did fine all week. FYI, there were not many children on our sailing, so that may be something that is taken into account when they decide.

We had the same experience as KLD. Our child was 4 months from 9 years old. They had no problems bumping him up to be with the older kids, but with no in and out privileges. That was 2 years ago. This last cruise was awesome. I never even saw the kids club. I registered him online. He brought some other CONFUSING paperwork to the cabin for me to fill out. He was on his own after that.

Don't ask Norwegian to move to different groups. They have no wiggle room on that.

We sailed the Triumph and my son had his 6th birthday on the second day of the cruise. I did not want him with the bigger kids (he can tend to get overwhelmed and nervous at times). They initially tried to put him in the six year old and up group but they had no problems with our request to keep him in the younger group. He still had a blast with the younger group, he loved the crafts and the dance party and pj party. When we went the next year, he turned seven on the boat and we brought along our four year old. They both loved the camp carnival. The older one was ready for the step up and the youngest always has an awesome time anywhere, any time. They are both pumped to go again this November. You know you child, if they are more adventurous or not shy, move them up. If not, request them to stay in the younger group. They will love it either way!