Disney Wonder motion

Bea3

Hi

I was about ready to book a Wonder Panama Canal Cruise today that has 9 sea days. Then I read a couple of reviews mentioning a lot of motion. I know my husband could not handle 9 days of rocking boats. Is the rocking 'normal' for this ship? We have been on 11 different ships and there is usually one or two days he isn't feeling good when the seas are rough but I am concerned this might be a daily thing. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Hi

I was about ready to book a Wonder Panama Canal Cruise today that has 9 sea days. Then I read a couple of reviews mentioning a lot of motion. I know my husband could not handle 9 days of rocking boats. Is the rocking 'normal' for this ship? We have been on 11 different ships and there is usually one or two days he isn't feeling good when the seas are rough but I am concerned this might be a daily thing. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

No, the rocking described is not 'normal' for the Wonder. The side to side rolling comes from the seas and wind conditions she is in, so if the seas are rough, or there are high winds hitting her side then she will have a rocking motion, just like any other ship her size.

She also has two stabilizers which they deploy when needed to reduce side to side rolling. Be aware though that some Guests confuse pitching (up and down and felt most at the forward part of the ship) with rolling.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
To add

I've just seen the Jewel of the Seas in your sig, and the Wonder is a similar sized ship.

It is also worth considering what you consider rough seas, and what the posters consider rough or rolling. Each person will have a different opinion on the severity of it and some are more susceptible to motion than others.

ex techie

If movement is an issue, make sure your cabin room is deck 2 or 3 amidship to slightly aft. The upper decks on the bow will have the most movement.

While deck 2/3 interior midship cabins will still roll with the ship, the distance traveled during a roll is much less and will feel slower. Ocean view rooms are nice for during the day to establish a horizon which helps reduce seasickness, not at night time it usually doesn't help because you can't see well enough.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You really can't predict how the ship might move...it's not the ship, it's the seas! No matter how large or "stabilized" a ship is, if it's rough, you're gonna feel it! The sea is more powerful than any ship of any size!

He may need to take something daily to help with queasiness....

I've not really ever felt the motion of any other ship except in/near a storm. However, the Black Friday sailing on the Wonder was quite rocky for days with no visible storms or any reported nearby. Something had to be happening at sea though because almost anyone on that sailing has mentioned it in reviews. I don't get seasick and neither does anyone in my family so it did not bother me but it was most certainly noticeable. Check where you are reading it WHEN people sailed because it could have been an isolated time period.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

On our summer Alaska cruise the ship was moving more then what we thought it would and our waiter said she was moving more then normal. And there was a very noticable vibration when at cruising speed. I suspect DCL was nursing her along until the dry dock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If movement is an issue, make sure your cabin room is deck 2 or 3 amidship to slightly aft. The upper decks on the bow will have the most movement.

While deck 2/3 interior midship cabins will still roll with the ship, the distance traveled during a roll is much less and will feel slower. Ocean view rooms are nice for during the day to establish a horizon which helps reduce seasickness, not at night time it usually doesn't help because you can't see well enough.

Just for clarification, Wonder does not have any cabins on Decks 3 or 4.

Edited by PopFla