Formal Night options

wanaka

We, four of us, will be sailing on Brittania early July 2017. We will be in Europe for nearly 5 weeks doing some independent traveling, river cruise, and finally Brittania. The only time we will need formal wear (especially a suit for the men) is on Brittania. Easy for us girls, but the men are reluctant to have to lug suits for only 4 nights. My question is, what are the options on board if you don't want to do the formal nights. We have cruised with other lines and know that you can eat in the informal dining areas etc.

Yes, I know part of the fun is dressing up, but luggage space is an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts

The buffet restaurant only on the other P&O ships, but I've not been on Brittania. I imagine the same rules apply. Also, the select restaurants (that you pay extra for) are formal and a number of bars. But on other ships, the theatre and nightclub, where you tend to get the comedians on, you can go in wearing less formal clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The buffet restaurant only on the other P&O ships, but I've not been on Brittania. I imagine the same rules apply. Also, the select restaurants (that you pay extra for) are formal and a number of bars. But on other ships, the theatre and nightclub, where you tend to get the comedians on, you can go in wearing less formal clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Britannia last September, and formal was not 100% in the restaurants on "Formal Night" (although I wear DJ's). It was a high percentage but not all.

It was not enforced at the entry podium.

It was not expected in the select restaurants, either, on formal nights.

We used the Epicurian on formal night to observe a good percentage not wearing DJ's etc.

It seems that its "your choice"

We were on Britannia last September, and formal was not 100% in the restaurants on "Formal Night" (although I wear DJ's). It was a high percentage but not all.

It was not enforced at the entry podium.

It was not expected in the select restaurants, either, on formal nights.

We used the Epicurian on formal night to observe a good percentage not wearing DJ's etc.

It seems that its "your choice"

Davenew, could it just have been the M'D who wasn't enforcing it. Would it be better to go with the assumption that dress code would be applied in the MDR and some bars, rather than think it would not be enforced and have a M'D who does..if you get my drift.

Yes, the Horizon does list which bars and restaurants require formal on a formal night. I've seen people bend the rules and be let in, and I've seen people turned away because they were not in formal wear. So I'd say it's best to expect this, rather than assume otherwise.

Perhaps they are unofficially testing the idea of relaxing the dress code, particularly with Britannia being more family oriented?