IS booking airfare through DCL worth it for ease?

mrscutecuban

Hello fellow DCL'ers...

I am quite experience at booking all my trips and normally do all my own booking to get the best deals. This time I will be traveling with just my son and was talked into booking airfare through DCL to make it as worryless as possible stating that they would take care of everything incase of flight delays etc etc and that the Magical express was complimentrary from Orlando to the port as I was booking airfare through them. I expected that they would add a few dollars BUT when I checked the airline today the same exact flight is $150 LESS than I am paying with DCL..so question is is the price difference worth the convenience to have them take care of it all or will I get the same level of service if I book myself and do the magical express anyway? :confused:

Thanks !!

NO! DCL air is the biggest joke they sell.

First, the transportation to the port is NOT "complimentary." The cost is built into the price of the air. There isn't a separate line item on the invoice for DCL transfers, but you do pay for them! Secondly, you have NO choice in flights. If you make any requests, you are charged an extra fee for an "Air Deviation." And finally, I've never had air thru DCL be less costly than the air + DCL transfers that I could get on my own.

Tracking your flights...maybe, but they ask for flight info when you do our on line check in. True, they won't help reroute you should that be necessary, but any decent TA will do that as will the airlines (sometimes.)

Example--we had a direct flight available from our city to MCO. DCL air would NEVER use it. They always did a much more troublesome flight thru Atlanta. If I requested the direct flight, it was an additional $50 per person "air deviation" fee. The time that DCL air MAY be better is trans-Atlantic trips, but even there I have seriously underpriced them on my own.

SO, no service, higher costs = forget it.

Magical Express is a complimentary service that runs between WDW and MCO. DCL transfers are $35 per person for each leg and run between MCO and the terminal and WDW and the cruise terminal. So you would book DCL transfers, not ME.

Edited by moki'smommy

First' date=' the transportation to the port is NOT "complimentary." The cost is built into the price of the air. There isn't a separate line item on the invoice for DCL transfers, but you do pay for them! Secondly, you have NO choice in flights. If you make any requests, you are charged an extra fee for an "Air Deviation." And finally, I've never had air thru DCL be less costly than the air + DCL transfers that I could get on my own.

Tracking your flights...maybe, but they ask for flight info when you do our on line check in. True, they won't help reroute you should that be necessary, but any decent TA will do that as will the airlines (sometimes.)

Example--we had a direct flight available from our city to MCO. DCL air would NEVER use it. They always did a much more troublesome flight thru Atlanta. If I requested the direct flight, it was an additional $50 per person "air deviation" fee. The time that DCL air MAY be better is trans-Atlantic trips, but even there I have seriously underpriced them on my own.

Magical Express is a complimentary service that runs between WDW and MCO. DCL transfers are $35 per person for each leg and run between MCO and the terminal and WDW and the cruise terminal. So you would book DCL transfers, not ME.[/quote']

Thank you soo much!!! I had quoted one of your responses on a seperate thread that I found after I posted this where you broke it down so clearly as well. In that response I see that you reccomended also booking the WDW post scruise stay seperately and not through DCL..so I have some changes I need to make because I just did it all through the DCL TA !! :eek:

SO just to clarify its best to book DCL and WDW post stay seperately then go back to DCL and book my DCL transfers from MCO to Port and port to WDW correct? and then is WDW to MCO is ME which will handle my luggage from WDW to MCO all the way through my final destination ??

Moki'smommy Thank you soooo much !!!

Booking your WDW stay separately allows you to take advantage of any "specials" that WDW may offer for your dates. If you book thru DCL, you'll pay "rack rate" for DCL--no free dining, no "buy 4, get 7 night" or any other special. IF there are no specials available, your rate may be the same whichever way you book, but it is well worth checking.

Your luggage handling is the same whichever way you book, but from the cruise ship to WDW, it is not "all the way" in any sense. DCL will get your luggage from your cabin to the terminal. YOU pick it up in the terminal, take it thru Customs, and to the bus to WDW. There are porters to help if desired. The bus driver will drop it where the bus stops at WDW and bell services will be there to help you provided the bus uses the main "drop off" drive.

Bell services at the resort will hold your bags while you check in, or all day if you check in before your room is ready. You can return to their desk and give them your room number or go to the room and call them and they will bring the bags to you. If you check in before your room is ready, the check in desk will give you a phone number and code--you can call from any phone and get your room number so there is no need to stop at the desk when you return to the resort.

WDW to MCO on ME is free and will handle your luggage to your final destination. Just be sure to make the ME reservation in advance (like before you leave home.) You add this to your WDW reservation.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you moki'smommy !!! I went ahead and cancelled my DCL airfare and booked through Delta for half of what I was paying through DCL and kept the transfers.

When I called to reserve with WDW for the resport stay my dates were already sold out for Art of animation so guess I'm keeping my DCL reservation for the resort but the WDW agent did mention that for single rooms at the value resorts they very rarely go on sale unless I'm doing a package deal.

Again thank you cause your advice just saved me some $$ :D

You're welcome.

And I agree with the agent--unless you are doing a package of 3 or more nights, they rarely go on sale. However, there is no harm in periodically checking prices on line and canceling the booking thru DCL if by luck you do see something better. However...AOA is one of the most popular resorts and typically fills quickly.

First' date=' the transportation to the port is NOT "complimentary." The cost is built into the price of the air. There isn't a separate line item on the invoice for DCL transfers, but you do pay for them! Secondly, you have NO choice in flights. If you make any requests, you are charged an extra fee for an "Air Deviation." And finally, I've never had air thru DCL be less costly than the air + DCL transfers that I could get on my own.

Magical Express is a complimentary service that runs between WDW and MCO. DCL transfers are $35 per person for each leg and run between MCO and the terminal and WDW and the cruise terminal. So you would book DCL transfers, not ME.[/quote']

Just to clarify - DCL does not charge for deviations as of 2015. And now you can tell them what flights you want and they will price them for you if it's an airline they deal with, that might be called retail air and something new to DCL this month.

Yes, if you book your flights thru DCL they do track your flights and will work with airlines to get you to the cruise on time if able.

It's too bad that Disney can't negotiate better prices. We've booked air to Europe through Celebrity twice and saved hundreds per ticket each time. We weren't particularly fussy about airlines or departure/arrival times but the flights offered were good enough.

It's too bad that Disney can't negotiate better prices. We've booked air to Europe through Celebrity twice and saved hundreds per ticket each time. We weren't particularly fussy about airlines or departure/arrival times but the flights offered were good enough.

Similarly, we saved hundreds on several occasions by booking air thru Princess (once domestic, the others international), and the Princess system allows you to choose your own flights as well as flying in days before or extending your trip after the cruise. DCL considers those to be "airline deviations" unless you also book at one of "their" hotels thru them!

Of all the things I would trust to an agent/package, air is not one of them.

The convenience of booking air online is the one for-the-people invention that put travel agents almost out of business.

For ex., speaking from experience (and flying from Hartford CT and Boston), there is no reason to take anything other to Orlando than JetBlue :cool:--

But JetBlue, like Southwest, is a "no-frills" airline that deals directly to the customers online, and doesn't usually turn up on most searches for mainstream airlines like the pricier American and Delta. (Ah, I remember the short-lived JetBlue-clone Delta Song, what brief happy days those were...)

It also offers more direct flights to MCO, while the Big Four tend to route two-stop flights through their home terminals, eg. Atlanta.

Also, the cheaper flights tend to be at the less requested hours, like 6:30am departures and 10pm arrivals, and getting the ideal flight times needs as much co-ordinated hands-on negotiation as possible.

Disney's travel search engines can already be a little crazy for finding travel packages, I wouldn't trust them to find anything as stickler as air flights.

Ejanns funny thing is I agree with you that jetblue is the airline of choice to Orlando and has been for my numerous trips down that and as reluctant as I was I actually booked a nonstop w delta this time out of JFK because jetblue was through the roof charging $180 per ticket over delta !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you moki'smommy !!! I went ahead and cancelled my DCL airfare and booked through Delta for half of what I was paying through DCL and kept the transfers.

When I called to reserve with WDW for the resport stay my dates were already sold out for Art of animation so guess I'm keeping my DCL reservation for the resort but the WDW agent did mention that for single rooms at the value resorts they very rarely go on sale unless I'm doing a package deal.

Again thank you cause your advice just saved me some $$ :D

I have had no problem booking room only for one or two nights at value resorts at a discounted price. I have also gotten an additional discount on top of the sale price by booking the room through Orbitz or Cheap Tickets. However, the standard rooms at Art of Animation are usually excluded from Disney's sales.

NancyIL yea that's what I've been hearing about AOA.. I'll keep my eye out in case there's a sale on single rooms at other resorts but I'm pretty sure prices won't go close as low as AOA

AOA is the most expensive value resort, followed by Pop Century, then the 3 All Stars. Depending on when you are going to WDW, the window of time to book a discounted rate may have passed. However, that doesn't include the additional discount for booking through Orbitz and Cheap Tickets - but look at Mousesavers for promo codes.

Good tip I'll search and see if I can get a better deal through those options. I just went straight through WDW. May travel dates are May 2017

Keep checking with DCL to see if they have any resort specials. They do offer them from time to time.

You can also check Expedia for resorts. My friends got Port Orleans a couple years ago for 40% off.

AOA Little Mermaid rooms don't go on special, but sometimes the suites do go on special.

If you are going to take DCL transfers to the port Art is typically the last resort to be picked up, around 12:30-12:45. There's no way of knowing ahead of time what the pick up time will be as the times aren't released to DCL until 2 days prior to sail date.

Good tip I'll search and see if I can get a better deal through those options. I just went straight through WDW. May travel dates are May 2017

The current resort discounts are for stays through April 8, so keep checking periodically for May discount rates: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/travel-room-stay/

Just to clarify - DCL does not charge for deviations as of 2015. And now you can tell them what flights you want and they will price them for you if it's an airline they deal with, that might be called retail air and something new to DCL this mo

Good news..because the old system was horrible!

Thanks for letting me know about the AOA pick up luckily we're doing WDW post cruise and will be going to DCL straight from MCO.

DCL buses depart Port Canaveral at 9am. There is only 1 departure time that returns to WDW resorts.

DCL buses depart Port Canaveral at 9am. There is only 1 departure time that returns to WDW resorts.

This was not our situation at all, but it likely depends on how many guests are going to which resorts.

We found that each bus was assigned to 3 resorts and departed from PC when it was reasonably full. At that point, another bus pulled into the slot to take its place. They started filling the bus about 7:30 when people came out from Customs. There were multiple buses going to WDW.

We made the mistake once of not exiting the ship till about 9. We got the bus that waited till 9:45--until they had done the "sweep" and were sure that everyone was off the ship and thru Customs. We got stuck going to 6 resorts and it took 2 hours AFTER we arrived at WDW to get to our resort (we were the last stop). The driver even argued with the CM when she put us on that bus. Yes, I was seriously unhappy with that run!

But, quicker and easier is to arrange a private towncar or limo service. The cost will be about the same as DCL transfers for 4 people. If you have fewer than 4, riding the DCL bus will be most economical unless you can meet up with another family on the boards and share transportation.

Thinking about it, it makes no sense that there would only be one bus to WDW. Basically 2500-4000 people get off the ship. A bus holds about 80 people. I would certainly expect that more than 80 people out of a possible 4000 would have booked DCL transportation to WDW. True, most probably are heading to the airport, some have a car at the terminal or are renting a car, some have private transportation booked....but I'd still expect a significant number to be on a DCL bus to WDW. We've never been on a full bus back to WDW (or from WDW to PC), but we've had 40+ people on a bus going to 3 different resorts.

Edited by moki'smommy

Ok so trying to figure this out for the most sense logistically since I'm trying to maximize my time at the park post cruise, as I'm only doing 2 days in the experienced opinion which is a better option for just the 2 of us:

1- DCL transfers to AOA ? Or alternatively can I go straight to the park ?

2- private transfer for 2 from DCL to AOA?

Yes the money matters BUT most importantly I value the time and EASE of the transitions since I will be traveling alone with the small kiddo.

As always TIA !!!!

Ok so trying to figure this out for the most sense logistically since I'm trying to maximize my time at the park post cruise, as I'm only doing 2 days in the experienced opinion which is a better option for just the 2 of us:

1- DCL transfers to AOA ? Or alternatively can I go straight to the park ?

2- private transfer for 2 from DCL to AOA?

Yes the money matters BUT most importantly I value the time and EASE of the transitions since I will be traveling alone with the small kiddo.

As always TIA !!!!

I would not go from the ship directly to a park - as you'll have to store your luggage somewhere.

Another transportation option is a one-way rental car from Cape Canaveral to WDW. If you rent from National/Alamo/Enterprise - you can drop off the car at the WDW Dolphin or the Car Care Center near the MK.

Do not go straight to a park. First, DCL transportation will not get you there. Secondly, what are you going to do with your luggage?

The easiest thing will be private transfer (towncar/limo service) from PC to AOA. Drop your bags with the bellman and check in. Assuming your room is not ready, they will give you a phone number and code to call . This will give you your room number. They will also text your room number to you when it is ready.

After you check in, hop on the WDW bus to the park of your choice. Have a "Park till you drop" day, and then return to your room. We've come back to find our luggage already in our room, and other times we had to call bell services to deliver it. No big deal either way.

As below, you can do a rental car...each of the major companies has a drop off at or near WDW (several companies are in the "Good Neighbor" hotels near Downtown Disney. This is usually the cheapest option, but will take time to go to the rental place, get the car, and ultimately return it (you pay for 24 hours, so don't need to return it right away.)

Easiest, quickest, and most expensive is towncar service.

Cheapest but most effort from you is car rental.

In between is DCL transfers.

This was not our situation at all' date=' but it likely depends on how many guests are going to which resorts.

We found that each bus was assigned to 3 resorts and departed from PC when it was reasonably full. At that point, another bus pulled into the slot to take its place. They started filling the bus about 7:30 when people came out from Customs. There were multiple buses going to WDW.

We made the mistake once of not exiting the ship till about 9. We got the bus that waited till 9:45--until they had done the "sweep" and were sure that everyone was off the ship and thru Customs. We got stuck going to 6 resorts and it took 2 hours AFTER we arrived at WDW to get to our resort (we were the last stop). The driver even argued with the CM when she put us on that bus. Yes, I was seriously unhappy with that run!

But, quicker and easier is to arrange a private towncar or limo service. The cost will be about the same as DCL transfers for 4 people. If you have fewer than 4, riding the DCL bus will be most economical unless you can meet up with another family on the boards and share transportation.

Thinking about it, it makes no sense that there would only be one bus to WDW. Basically 2500-4000 people get off the ship. A bus holds about 80 people. I would certainly expect that more than 80 people out of a possible 4000 would have booked DCL transportation to WDW. True, most probably are heading to the airport, some have a car at the terminal or are renting a car, some have private transportation booked....but I'd still expect a significant number to be on a DCL bus to WDW. We've never been on a full bus back to WDW (or from WDW to PC), but we've had 40+ people on a bus going to 3 different resorts.[/quote']

Again, this is a new procedure that started earlier this year. All buses back to the WDW resorts leave at 9am, it's spelled out in the letter that is received the guests stateroom prior to debark.