Boat and Bus from Flam to Gudvangen

We will be doing the boat/bus trip from Flam to Gudvangen and back in July. Is there any reason to spend time in Gudvangen? Given the schedules, we can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours there.

I haven't been able to find much info on Gudvangen. Does anyone have any suggestions? My husband has difficulty walking, so we can't stray too far from where you catch the boat and the bus.

We will be doing the boat/bus trip from Flam to Gudvangen and back in July. Is there any reason to spend time in Gudvangen? Given the schedules, we can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours there. I haven't been able to find much info on Gudvangen. Does anyone have any suggestions? My husband has difficulty walking, so we can't stray too far from where you catch the boat and the bus.

As some of my visuals and are detailed on the live/blog connected below, there are some good options nearby to Gudvangen. Our cruise had stops in both Flam and Gudvangen during our day in this super scenic fjord. We did not take a bus ride connecting these two villages.

But, overall, there was nothing that "special" or unique right there in this small village of Gudvangen. It is just a dropping-off point in order to reach a variety of nearby options and dramatic sights. See more details below. PLUS, there are big thrills in seeing the narrow fjord areas as you travel through it in order to reach Gudvangen, and then going back.

Do you like these sights and sites nearby to Gudvangen? Added questions, info needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,779 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some highlights from this day in and around the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway with these great and many fjord views. First, is one of my visuals as we approached Gudvangen along that dramatic fjord. Next are two different views from around and near the Stalheim Hotel that we stopped while visiting this spectacular valley area. Then a view of the spectacular Tvinde Waterfall. This waterfall is listed as 379 feet high. It is Norway's ninth most visited natural attraction, with 272,000 visitors. Its popularity is fueled by being near Bergen and right along a main highway.

Spring2015A17_zpst396a7ep.jpg

Spring2015A20_zpslukvbife.jpg

Spring2015A21_zps3vjlf1dm.jpg

Spring2015A19_zpsfpk00woy.jpg

Here is the view going down the dramatic, twisting highways when returning to Gudvangen. Finally, a view of two of the ships tendered in Gudvangen while we were exploring nearby.:

Spring2015A22_zpsect8owvm.jpg

Spring2015A18_zpsx61tfgsf.jpg

We will be doing the boat/bus trip from Flam to Gudvangen and back in July. Is there any reason to spend time in Gudvangen? Given the schedules, we can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours there.

I haven't been able to find much info on Gudvangen. Does anyone have any suggestions? My husband has difficulty walking, so we can't stray too far from where you catch the boat and the bus.

Depending on the dates you are there in July between 14-19 July there is a "Viking Marked" held. Lots of games, exhibitions, food, handcraft etc.

You can visit the "magical" white caves. The entire walk in the caves are carpeted and easy to do.

Gudvangen is the gateway to many wonderful hikes, a cruise on the Nærøyfjord, the little village of Bakka and the quaint church.

All these activities require an amount of walking even tho Gudvangen is a very small village