Recent Sample Menu

Emperor Norton

Here's a menu from 27 Oct 2015 on the Odyssey. Coming from a wee sister perspective the restaurant menu seems shortchanged (at least I recall more options being available on the Pride and Legends cruises).

Fruit of the day: Pears

The Restaurant:

Appetizers -

Seared Veal carpaccio > young greens, pesto vinaigrette, parmesan shavings

Seafood salad with green apple gelee > apple chips, extra virgin olive oil

Portbello Raviolo > forest mushrooms and sabayon

Roasted Eggplant Soupt > rosemary brioche croutons

Watermelon, orange & frisee salad > sherry shallot dressing

Main Courses:

Citrus Crusted Baramundi > creamy mashed potato, white asparagus, white wine buerre blanc

Caramelized Sea Scallops > linguini, crab and lemongrass emulsion

Slow roasted spring jidory chicken > cream cabbage roll, pommes fondant, poultry jus

Grilled Rib Eye steak > boulangere potatoes, grilled vegetable lasagna, peppercorn sauce

Crisp Feta Cheese Cannelloni > potato gnocchi, spinach sauce

Sweets:

Layered chocolate & peanut butter mousse > chocolate brownie cookies

Oven baked brioche French toast > fresh apple compote, vanilla sauce

Classic Floating Island > vanilla anglaise

Hot Poire William Souffle > bittersweet chocolate sauce

Vanilla Apricot Ice Cream

Mango Sorbet

Blueberry Frozen yogurt

sauce: butterscotch, chocolate, strawberry

R2

Chef's Cocktail > crispy foie gras, port wine splash

Appetizers

Lobster Roll, yogurt caviar sauce

Bacalaito fritter, avocado & tomato salad

Soup

White Asparagus Vanilla Cappuccino, mushroom toast

Mains

Drunken Halibut, porcini & swiss chard, hazelnut vinaigrette

Tuscanny braised veal, mascarpone mashed potato

Dessert

Dark chocolate ganache, espresso citrus panna cotta, condensed milk ice cream, chocolate foam

The Colonnade (Steak House)

Appetizers:

Seared beef tataki > pickled vegetable, ponzu jelly, tahini puree

Crispy Corn Crusted Prawn > fennel slaw, romesco sauce

Roasted Garlic Soup > chive chantilly, crunchy rosemary brioche

Mains

Rib Eye Steak

Fillet of Beef Tenderloin

Veal Chop

Atlantic Salmon fillet with lemon butter sauce

Vegetarian

Crisp Feta Cheese Cannelloni > potato gnocchi, spinach sauce

Dessert

Fresh strawberry cheesecake > graham cracker, walnut tuille

Patio Grill

Appetizers (from the buffet)

Buffalo Mozzarella, Roma Tomatoes, aged balsamic, extra virgin olive oil

Seared beef carpaccio > pickled artichokes, pesto, citrus dressing

Pasta

Fettuccini Alfredo > red bliss potatoes, snow peas

From the Grill

Pancetta wrapped veal tenderloin

Grilled branzino

Lamb rack chops 10oz

Sides

Asparagus, tomato paprika ragout, lyonnais potatoes

Sauces

Bernaise, Balsamic jus

Desserts

Assorted Cheeses

Merengata Di Lemon

Fresh Fruits

Ice Cream & Sorbet

Don't forget that alongside the items listed there will be the same again by way of the Classic offerings which are the same each day.

I suspect you are quoting the in room menu listing of specific items for that day.

You can also mix & match. On several occasions I chose a main course dish as a starter.

Henry :)

Posted like that, it appears shortchanged for the big sisters too.That's my only frame of reference.

Disclaimer - What I write following here relates only to MDR.

On Sojourn a few weeks ago we noticed that the menu layout was different and that there was less choice. The menu that you've posted is fairly typical as to the type of food available during that cruise. (Uninspiring).

Once seated in the MDR, in addition to the menu as posted here, the always available menu was on the right hand side.

So the menu as posted here appears to be the daily changing menu, as printed in the Herald.

In addition there is the always available but we noticed there wasn't as much choice on there as previously. We were told that the usual dishes were all available, just not displayed on the menu. :confused:

Our server joked with us about it and suggested that if couldn't memorise it, we could bring the room service menu to dinner each evening so we could view the entire choice.

Edited by Nigella

As already stared the original post is factually incorrect. There will be at least as many dishes again on the MDR menu.

In terms of "uninspiring". One thing I noted last week was that often dishes appeared uninspiring when described on the menu but actually what turned up was anything but. I often saw food turn up and thought to myself,"I didn't see that on the menu" due to the way it was described.

My bathroom scales confirm at no point did I go hungry :)

Henry

Emperor Norton, I'm assuming you know someone who was onboard Odyssey recently.

Did your contact say that the menu choices on Odyssey were reduced, because of the TK menus? That's what I was told by friends who just got back from Odyssey. I have no reason to disbelieve them, although I appreciate that their opinion does conflict with others here.

They also attributed slower service to the implementation of the TK menus, and slow service was mentioned by a first timer on another thread. Would be interested to know if you're hearing what I'm hearing.

We were on the Odyssey for 39 days and here is what we observed: the menu delivered to your room was not the full de jour menu offered in the MDR. Every night when we dined in the MDR we would see dishes listed that were not on the in-room daily menu. On many, but not all, nights there was also a 4 course TK insert. The SB always available standards were there, although they did seem to have less offerings than in the past. Also at the start of the cruise I believe there were 5 chefs on-board and the menus were often in a strange arrangement, ordered by each chef's suggestion I suppose, as opposed to all appetizers, all main courses, etc. grouped together. You would see an app, a choice of mains and a cheese and desert together. That changed after about a week and it went back to being ordered by course.

As for the question about service timing: we did not notice any extended waits, although more than one waitress told us the TK dishes take longer to come out of the kitchen, but since we don't like to rush our dinner we did not notice. (Getting my food with no wait between courses is something I would not be happy with, although I know some people like to eat and be gone in an hour or less.) When the MDR was full the service could be somewhat slow - but that is the usual case - when it is busy and we typically do not arrive until after 8 so we avoid the rush of people who head there earlier.