Dover to LHR post-cruise private transfer recommendation?

Catlover54

Our SB cruise ends in Dover, scheduled arrival 7AM, and our flight back to US leaves LHR 12:20 PM, (tighter than I usually like, but our airline changed our flights from 14:40 to 12:20) so we want to reserve a private car to take us to LHR right after getting off the ship as early as possible and not deal with bus transport. We have two full-sized rolling checkable suitcases (28x20inches size), one business-sized roll-aboard, and two handheld backpacks to accommodate (which go into the car back seat with us), and our TA gave us a private pickup quote, with tip and tax included, for a company at $1150, said it is so expensive because we'd need a mini-van to accommodate so much luggage. That seems pretty steep, even for Britain, for a one-way 1.5-2 hour ride and not a huge amount of luggage, and I'm not sure it's accurate we would need more than a full-sized sedan to hold the 2 big and one roll-aboard pieces.

Can anyone who has done the Dover cruise terminal-LHR route recommend a company that is reliable at Dover cruise terminal pickup but is more reasonable? Thanks in advance!

Our SB cruise ends in Dover, scheduled arrival 7AM, and our flight back to US leaves LHR 12:20 PM, (tighter than I usually like, but our airline changed our flights from 14:40 to 12:20) so we want to reserve a private car to take us to LHR right after getting off the ship as early as possible and not deal with bus transport. We have two full-sized rolling checkable suitcases (28x20inches size), one business-sized roll-aboard, and two handheld backpacks to accommodate (which go into the car back seat with us), and our TA gave us a private pickup quote, with tip and tax included, for a company at $1150, said it is so expensive because we'd need a mini-van to accommodate so much luggage. That seems pretty steep, even for Britain, for a one-way 1.5-2 hour ride and not a huge amount of luggage, and I'm not sure it's accurate we would need more than a full-sized sedan to hold the 2 big and one roll-aboard pieces.

Can anyone who has done the Dover cruise terminal-LHR route recommend a company that is reliable at Dover cruise terminal pickup but is more reasonable? Thanks in advance!

$1150 is about 4 times what I paid in 2011 for the same journey for the two of us in a very comfortable Mercedes 8 seater van.

Have you tried Googling Dover-Heathrow transfers, a number of options come up, one showed a fixed price of £137 (about US$200)

This site was most informative https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_dover.htm

$1150 is about 4 times what I paid in 2011 for the same journey for the two of us in a very comfortable Mercedes 8 seater van.

Have you tried Googling Dover-Heathrow transfers, a number of options come up, one showed a fixed price of £137 (about US$200)

This site was most informative https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_dover.htm

We've had good luck with http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html for London to Cunard Southampton docks as well as airport pickups. Also in that range, a few years ago.

Your TA is either incompetent or gouging.

We have transferred by pvt car from Dover [as well as Southampton & Tillbury]...2 persons...with more luggage than you describe. Because of the latter we have had to take a van but your luggage sounds as though it would easily fit into a town car. The web is full of sources that do these transfers. When you enter your luggage items they will advise whether you need a van.

Wise decision with such a tight schedule. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Catlover54 we are boarding Quest in Dover this year and I have arranged a BMW and driver to pick us up at Heathrow and take us to Dover for £140.

If you email me (at my name above plus "at gmail.com) I will send you the contact details