Aft. Corner Cabins Disney Magic

Planning a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan in 2018 on Disney Magic and we are considering an Aft. Corner cabin w/verandah. We usually pick a deck 7 D1 cat. mid-ship verandah cabin. Has any one booked an aft. cabin and does any one have any images of same? Would like to hear any reviews on same. Aft, Cabins w / verandah are advertised as 400 sq. ft. including verandah versus DI mid-ship is about 300 sq. ft. including verandah:):):)

We've been all over the Magic and I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. The far aft cabins on the Magic are handicapped accessible. These would be cabins 7136 and 7138, as well as 7636 and 7638. There are similar HA cabins on other decks. I've stayed in both 7136 and 7138, but that's because we have a family member who need the HA cabin. The downside is that these are cat 6 with the solid wall balcony.Yes, these cabins are bigger to allow for the wheelchair and to take advantage of the curve of the ship. They also have less desirable features--single bath, no tub, no top drawer in desk, etc. all designed to make them accessible.

Maybe if you provided cabin numbers, we could be more helpful. I've just never seen anything marketed as an "aft corner cabin."

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'm referring to the same cabins as you are, just calling them something different.

I do understand that they are marked for HA but was wondering if they are ever sold to non-HA. Had seen far aft cabins and images @ Cruise Critic for Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas and wanted to look into a similar cabin type.

Hope I don't offend you trying to book a HA cabin when I don't really have a need for one.:):):)

Disney's policy is that up to a certain amount of time prior to the cruise, HA cabins are held for those who need them. After a particular number of days prior to embarkation, they will be sold to anyone who wants them.

I honestly don't remember DCL's policy on people who book them but don't need them. I do know they have had problems with people who liked the bigger cabin to store their scuba gear.

I don't have any problem with people who book the HA without needing it PROVIDED that they are honest with the cruise line and the line has a policy that if a person who needs it wants to book, the non-HA party will be moved out. We have had cruises that we had to cancel because an HA cabin did not become available. In one case, we were on a wait list for 18 months for ANY HA cabin. Unfortunately, the day after the penalty date, our 3 favorite cabins were all available, but DCL wouldn't give us the cruise at our previously booked rate (because we had canceled in order to not incur a penalty), and the "new booking" rate was higher. My answer to that was "too bad, so sad." No, I wasn't going to pay a higher rate. We turned around and booked a Princess cruise.

They are great cabins...provide you understand that you will have the HA features. You gain space, but you lose some features of the "standard" cabins.

And in all honesty, I'd trade all the space in the world for a healthy family member who didn't need those features.

I know exactly what you mean about "giving anything not to need the HA cabins".

Royal Caribbean has several far aft cabins on deck 7 ( not designated HA from what I can see) that really look nice. Big verandah, 3 chairs, 2 lounges, 2 tables etc. and the cabins looks larger also. Only problem with them is the view is partially obstructed.

Just trying to find something a little larger without paying for a Jr. Suite.

Again, thank you for replying and God Bless !

USAF1Sgtret48205

• 1 month later...

moki'smommy do you have a preference between 7636 and 7638? I have been going back and forth over a Thanksgiving time cruise with Royal and Celebrity and on the off chance I looked today and the Wonder actually has either of those rooms open and for less money and better itinerary. I just read it would be just coming out of dry dock as well. Seems like a win-win-win to me. Looking at deck plans 7636 seems like the bigger option but just want to check with the expert (YOU) before I pick one. Thanks!

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

The layout of these cabins is determined by the curve of the ship. 36 has the bigger balcony and is more like a "standard" cabin. 38 has what amounts to a walk in closet. There is no door on it. There is a hanging rod that can be easily reached from a chair. We found it very convenient on our last cruise because it can also serve as a "dressing room." We had an unrelated young adult with us, which made modesty a bigger issue. The ceiling height is well above my head, but there is a curve--it isn't as high as a standard ceiling on the ship. 38 also has the advantage that a chair can wheel straight in. For the door on 36, you pivot. Please note--we were in 7136 and 7138. I've been told that the cabins on the other side are the same.

All things considered, I'd take 38 but both are really amazing cabins.

Having stayed in both, my preference is the 7636 cabin. The cabin felt like a better layout (better use of space) and the balcony was fantastic. I did like the bathroom layout a bit more in 7638 though because it was a long space with the shower at the end and the toilet in the middle; whereas the bathroom in 7636 was a bit smaller (though still big enough for the wheelchair) but the sink was a little close to the toilet for my liking.

If either of the accessible cabins on 6 are available, I found them to be the best of both worlds - well laid out bathrooms, spacious cabin with lots of turnaround space and then a huge balcony.

Thank you both. moki'smommy as always, the little details you mention are SO important. My husband is 6'8 and that ceiling may be an issue. We have looked at as many pics as we can find and think we will go with 36 because the wide open space may be a better fit with just the three of us. If my older one was going the 38 would probably have worked better. Hopefully I will be able to get a sneak peek into the 38.

meatloafsfan I wish! I hear they are the best HA cabins on these ships. To be honest I am shocked 3 HA cabins are open on this day after Thanksgiving sailing (and can only imagine it is because it is the day AFTER-which worked GREAT for us this year).

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

Not the best pictures but here are some of the Magic cabin 7636.

Balcony

DisneyCruise1109.jpg

DisneyCruise1108.jpg

Door Entry, closet, edge of couch made into bed

DisneyCruise2049.jpg

Sofa bed

DisneyCruise2050.jpg

Desk, Mirror, Fridge, TV (and our suitcase on top of the desk)

DisneyCruise2048.jpg

Standing near the balcony doors, looking into the room (excuse our mess) Bathroom entrance is to the left of the closet

DisneyCruise2047.jpg

One quick look at the first pic and my brain said "That's 36"

We were in 36 once on the Wonder and the balcony had a problem with getting wet when they were washing the upper decks or something. It was a daily issue. Never had the problem on the Magic, so I don't know if it was resolved or ? That was my first experience with an HA cabin.

One quick look at the first pic and my brain said "That's 36"

We were in 36 once on the Wonder and the balcony had a problem with getting wet when they were washing the upper decks or something. It was a daily issue. Never had the problem on the Magic' date=' so I don't know if it was resolved or ? That was my first experience with an HA cabin.[/quote']

We were in 7636 on the Magic three years ago and did not like that the balcony flooded daily. We even had housekeeping use a shop vac to soak up the water. DH needs a HC cabin so the cabin was acceptable but the flooded, wet balcony was not. We travel now in a HC cabin ocean view or inside on the Magic.

Edited by shellyc