Americans on Fred. Olsen

Hello,

Have you ever found a cruise that you really liked, that went to places you wanted to see, left from a convenient port, and was on a ship that had everything you needed? Well I am in that position right now with Fred. Olsen.

I have always wanted to cruise with Fred, I really like their "it's all about the people" way of carrying out the cruise experience, plus I think their ships are beautiful and very classical. Plus, there are direct flights from my hometown airport to London, and all I would need is a hotel for a night or two before (probably a few before since I've never been to London!), and then a shuttle to Southampton or Dover. I wouldn't mind paying in Euros for the cruise. But my main concern is.... being an American.

How will the cruise contrast my usual style of cruising? I know I have mostly Carnival cruises, but I do not cruise for line or ship, solely for the destination. What will be different onboard? Will I be welcomed well?

Thanks so much to anyone who can provide help! :)

Hello,

Have you ever found a cruise that you really liked, that went to places you wanted to see, left from a convenient port, and was on a ship that had everything you needed? Well I am in that position right now with Fred. Olsen.

I have always wanted to cruise with Fred, I really like their "it's all about the people" way of carrying out the cruise experience, plus I think their ships are beautiful and very classical. Plus, there are direct flights from my hometown airport to London, and all I would need is a hotel for a night or two before (probably a few before since I've never been to London!), and then a shuttle to Southampton or Dover. I wouldn't mind paying in Euros for the cruise. But my main concern is.... being an American.

How will the cruise contrast my usual style of cruising? I know I have mostly Carnival cruises, but I do not cruise for line or ship, solely for the destination. What will be different onboard? Will I be welcomed well?

Thanks so much to anyone who can provide help! :)

I am sure you will be welcomed - it will probably be a very different experience from American Cruising - possibly more formal although you can do informal too. It is a very 'British' experience. The ships are probably a lot smaller than the ones you have travelled on but small us good. It's certainly not all 'glitz & glamour'. The ships are old but the decor is lovely, the staff are lovely & other passengers are friendly.

Try it - if it's 'everything you need', what is there to lose? ;)

Jules

We have just come back from our first cruise with Fred after being on two American lines. I think the biggest difference you will find is the food and entertainment which is very British. I very much preferred it to the American lines but that, of course is my personal taste. I would agree with Julessmile, go for it and see what you think. I am sure you will enjoy it anyway even if you decide you prefer Carnival.

There is just one other thing to consider and that is smoking. I know that all the American lines except HAL have banned smoking on balconies and this is not the case on Fred so if this is a big thing for you it's worth considering.

I wouldn't mind paying in Euros for the cruise. But my main concern is.... being an American.

Firstly, Fred Olsen works in GBP, not euros, so cruise (unless booked through a travel agent charging in euros) and onboard extras would all be charged in British pounds.

I would think you'll be accepted just fine if you mix and participate with other passengers. We often meet Americans on various ex.UK cruise ships.

Don't discount also spending a couple of days in Dover, there's a lot of very interesting places to visit there too.

I am sure you will be welcomed - it will probably be a very different experience from American Cruising - possibly more formal although you can do informal too. It is a very 'British' experience. The ships are probably a lot smaller than the ones you have travelled on but small us good. It's certainly not all 'glitz & glamour'. The ships are old but the decor is lovely, the staff are lovely & other passengers are friendly.

Try it - if it's 'everything you need', what is there to lose? ;)

Jules

Okay, well I think I would enjoy the British experience, as that's why I travel, to experience another culture. I would be okay with the smaller and authentic ships, as I am very interested in ships and whatnot, so I would love to be on such a classical ship.

Thanks for your help! :)

We have just come back from our first cruise with Fred after being on two American lines. I think the biggest difference you will find is the food and entertainment which is very British. I very much preferred it to the American lines but that, of course is my personal taste. I would agree with Julessmile, go for it and see what you think. I am sure you will enjoy it anyway even if you decide you prefer Carnival.

There is just one other thing to consider and that is smoking. I know that all the American lines except HAL have banned smoking on balconies and this is not the case on Fred so if this is a big thing for you it's worth considering.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your insight. No, smoking is not that big of a deal to me, as I like to travel in Outside (Oceanview as I know it, I'm not familiar on what Fred. calls it), so I won't be smelling it on my balcony. What are the public deck regulations?

Firstly, Fred Olsen works in GBP, not euros, so cruise (unless booked through a travel agent charging in euros) and onboard extras would all be charged in British pounds.

I would think you'll be accepted just fine if you mix and participate with other passengers. We often meet Americans on various ex.UK cruise ships.

Don't discount also spending a couple of days in Dover, there's a lot of very interesting places to visit there too.

Whoops, slipped my mind, forgot about the British pound! :D Thanks for correcting me on it!

If I start planning the trip, I will look into Dover activities, thanks so much for telling me, because I would've looked right past it.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your insight. No, smoking is not that big of a deal to me, as I like to travel in Outside (Oceanview as I know it, I'm not familiar on what Fred. calls it), so I won't be smelling it on my balcony. What are the public deck regulations?

There are two seating areas, one on the Lido deck but the way this is designed it is completely seperated from the other outdoor area on that deck where smoking is not permitted. The other one is on one side of Deck 11 outside the Marquee Bar. In addition to this one side of deck 7 has ashtrays attached to the wall. There are plenty of outside deck areas where smoking is not allowed and it is not permitted anywhere inside.

All of the above applies to the Balmoral which is the only ship I have sailed on so I am not sure how it varies ship to ship.