Lyft or Uber

R Prim

Has anyone compared these two companies? We were going to use Uber from MSY to our hotel but now are wondering about Lyft. I can't seem to find many reviews but from what I can tell Lyft seems to have better ones.

I use airport shuttle new Orleans dot com from MSY to hotels (or hotel to MSY). I make a reservation online and after my flight I collect my luggage at baggage claim and step outside to the curb at baggage claim #10, and there is always a shuttle waiting there. I believe Uber started service at MSY in April and charges $33. I pay $24 for the shuttle.

Edited by winddawn

I chose not to park at the airport for my trip last week and tested out Lyft and Uber. Talking with the drivers it really doesn't matter which service you use as most drive for both. Each ride was very pleasant and highly recommend either one for service.

For billing an app usability, I am giving the thumbs up to Lyft.

The Lyft app allows you to add a tip, Uber does not.

Both apps deal with toll roads, Lyft charges the exact toll where Uber wants to make additional money off of you.

Both rides were at non peak pricing but Lyft was to the airport during rush hour and Uber was home at 1:30 in the afternoon. Even taking twice as long to get there because of traffic, Lyft was less than a dollar more.

My son, who has used both, likes the Lyft app better.

I just looked at the shuttle web site and that $24 is per person!!

It is not a bargain if you are 2 people!(or more)

Edited by riffatsea

I use airport shuttle new Orleans dot com from MSY to hotels (or hotel to MSY). I make a reservation online and after my flight I collect my luggage at baggage claim and step outside to the curb at baggage claim #10, and there is always a shuttle waiting there. I believe Uber started service at MSY in April and charges $33. I pay $24 for the shuttle.

There are 10 of us flying in so a per person shuttle is really out of the question.

Thank you for your input. My daughter is "gun-ho" on trying Lyft. I have been a little more hesitant just because they are new to the market and Uber has been around longer. But from your posts I think we will give Lyft a try. Since we are making decisions for 10 I want to try and do my research as much as possible. At least now I can say, "but my friends on CruiseCritic said...:)"

There are 10 of us flying in so a per person shuttle is really out of the question.

Be sure to do your research. Many cities have different rules for dropping off passengers than for picking up passengers. Lyft's website shows MSY is a prohibited airport for pickups and dropoffs. And I think Lyft allows maximum 4 passengers per car.

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214460017-Airport-Information-for-Drivers

Best wishes for a great cruise.

Wife and I tried Uber for the 1st time getting to our last cruise. My Chase credit card had a promo if i signed up for Uber using it i got up to a $30 ride for free so we parked at my sis in laws house and called an UberXL (just in case since we had luggage) and within 2 min a friendly man in a Dodge Caravan pulls up and took us to the Port of Tampa. When we got back I 'referred' my wife to Uber and so she then got up to a $15 ride for free for our ride back to our car. Haven't tried Lyft yet but after 2 Uber rides I'm definitely a fan of this ride sharing thing.

with that many people have you considered a sprinter van from a limo company.

We have not. We assumed we would need 3 cars but since there are 6 of us who have never used Uber or Lyft before that gives us enough coupons for 3 cars to the hotel before the cruise and 3 cars back to the airport following the cruise. Should make our transportation really, really reasonable.

Be sure to do your research. Many cities have different rules for dropping off passengers than for picking up passengers. Lyft's website shows MSY is a prohibited airport for pickups and dropoffs. And I think Lyft allows maximum 4 passengers per car.

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214460017-Airport-Information-for-Drivers

Best wishes for a great cruise.

Yikes! We need to check this out further. My daughter thought for sure they were allowed at MSY. Thank you so much!

Is she a prostitute with an AK-47?

I'm sorry I checked and the proper saying is gung-ho (is that any better). The older I get (and I am old) the more I misquote the older sayings. I shall however let my daughter see what I called her :) Thanks for the laugh!

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm from flying into MSY in June that Uber can pickup. They can't pull up the the terminal so you have to cross the street to the lot. They wait there.

I've never tried Lyft (get Starwood points with uber) but in talking to the Uber drivers a lot work for both companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums