Disney "cruise" ad from 1988/1987

head mouse

I found some old Eyes & Ears (the "News Paper" published by Disney to its Cast Members) from June 30, 1988.

In the back was this ad from when Disney got their feet wet in the cruise line industry. Disney put themselfs on Premier Cruise lines to see if people would respond. Disney did not like the way PCL kept tight reigns on the can's and can'ts. By the time the Disney/PCL contract expired, Disney had decided they wanted their own cruise line so they could do things their own way.

cruise_ad.jpg

Here is the ad from the Oct 22,1987 E&E

cruise_ad_2.jpg

We honeymooned on the Big Red Boat - Oceanic in 1993. At that time it was promoted as the official cruise line of WDW. We had a land and sea package but that was the only Disney aspect to it. There were no characters or Disney special touches on that cruise. It was a great cruise, though!

In 1992 Michael Eisner cruised aboard one of the Premiere ships with his wife and two kids. While he had a good time, he complained that it just wasn't Disney. It was the next year that they recruited Art Rodney of Crystal and began to design and build the first two Disney Cruise Line ships, the terminal and Castaway Cay.

From the project green light to the first cruise was five years in case anyone is wondering how long it takes to design and build a cruise ship.

We loved going to Disney World and Disneyland, so when Disney promoted its WDW/cruise package, we were suckered right into it. We expected the same first class experience we had at the Disney parks and hotels.

We went on the Oceanic in March 1989 - worst cruise we have ever been on. Horrible food, surly staff, dirty ship, and no Disney characters (which my then 5 yo daughter was looking forward to).

This was the only cruise that made me write a letter to the cruise line, cc to Disney. My cover letter to Disney stated that they (Disney) were doing themselves a disservice by being affilated with Premier.

I had no response from Premier. I received a letter of apology from Disney and credit toward my next WDW vacation.

• 10 years later...
After Disney pulled their characters' date=' Premier did a contract for the Looney Tunes characters--not good at all.[/quote']

My husband would love that. He prefers Looney Toons (and Six Flags) to Disney. :rolleyes:

I don't know what bumped the thread, but yes, looking up a YouTube on Disney's early attempts to get into Castaway Cay-like Caribbean stops brought up old memories of seeing early TV ads of 80's-Mickey waving from the Big Red Boat.

PCL, not Disney, was the "revolutionary" company that tried to invent the idea of family-friendly cruises, but back before the Disney Decade of 90's park expansion (in the Black Cauldron days when we'd pretty much given the entire 80's Disney company up for dead), none of the competition quite understood the Disney ethic for quality theme-park/hotel service, and Disney travel was still pretty much a "premium" image at the time.

FWIH, wasn't it Disney that reportedly came up with the idea of reviving Port Canaveral into a more active cruise depot, for better access to WDW land/sea packages?

I found some old Eyes & Ears (the "News Paper" published by Disney to its Cast Members) from June 30, 1988.

In the back was this ad from when Disney got their feet wet in the cruise line industry. Disney put themselfs on Premier Cruise lines to see if people would respond. Disney did not like the way PCL kept tight reigns on the can's and can'ts. By the time the Disney/PCL contract expired, Disney had decided they wanted their own cruise line so they could do things their own way.

cruise_ad.jpg

Here is the ad from the Oct 22,1987 E&E

cruise_ad_2.jpg

Wow. $50/day for standby. I assume that is an inside cabin - but I have seen rates nearly that low recently. After 20 years rates have not gone up that much if you shop for sales and last minute trips.