Suite GTY or keep my veranda

Mummble

So, from reading various threads here, it seems that if a better class room becomes available on my cruise after final payment, I might be able to upgrade - depending on who at Celebrity answers my call. I am sailing on the Equinox in October and now I can get a Suite GTY for the same price I've paid for my veranda (deck 7 on the hump). When I booked, a year ago, I did get all three promotions - on board credit, free grats and free beverage package. My questions are:

1. Are there terrible suite rooms? I've always picked my exact room (only sailed on Carnival so far) and I am a little worried about the lack of control, but I think I could roll with it.

2. Could something amazing happen like getting a Royal Suite or Penthouse? Its our 10 year anniversary, and this is a dream trip for us! I'd love stories from those of you who gambled with GTY and won! Or, those of you who have gambled with GTY and lost. I suppose I should be aware of all possibilities!

3. Will I lose all my promotions?

I really appreciate the advice from you seasoned Celebrity cruisers!

I look forward to the responses from people that really know, but here's my guesstimate:

1. Are there terrible suite rooms? I've always picked my exact room (only sailed on Carnival so far) and I am a little worried about the lack of control, but I think I could roll with it.

ME: There are more preferable than less preferable rooms, but is there such a thing a a bad Sky Suite? Maybe noise wise, but I'm skeptical that there is such a thing vs all the suite benefits, especially including Luminae, which you'd have to say is worth $50-75/person/night.

2. Could something amazing happen like getting a Royal Suite or Penthouse? Its our 10 year anniversary, and this is a dream trip for us! I'd love stories from those of you who gambled with GTY and won! Or, those of you who have gambled with GTY and lost. I suppose I should be aware of all possibilities!

ME: No...they will UG someone else, but you will have the oppty to pay for an UG from your SS to a higher suite closer to boarding if it becomes available. this could be a very good deal, as now your starting point will be SS and you may get a discounted CS or PS...

Celebrity Revenue MGMT is very good...they will keep offering paid UGs and opening up rooms to maximize revenue until departure...

3. Will I lose all my promotions?

I think you get to keep whatever you have booked in the bank.

Edited by soxfan2013

If the rate is for new bookings, you will receive whatever perks there currently are for booking, (therefore lose your perks you had when you booked.)

They will PROBABLY upgrade someone who paid for a suite and you will PROBABLY wind up with a Sky Suite.... 90% probability. So check on one of the sites that shows you what suites are available and you'll have some idea.

Depending on what perks you would get to keep, for ME it would be worth it for Luminae and I would assume I'd get a Sky Suite.

Call your TA if you booked thru one, or Celebrity if you booked directly. It doesn't hurt to ask. Find out for SURE what the fine print is w/ that suite guarantee and assume you're going to get a Sky Suite. Anything else is icing on the cruise cake.

I am on Equinox in September. I originally had a nice balcony on the hump with all the perks, but when the suite guarantees came available I jumped on it and ended up with a S1 corner and got to keep all my perks (all 3).

Then about a month or 2 ago they were offering suite guarantees again at a much lower price than what I paid, but it was for new bookings only and I don't believe it came with any perks at the time.

Since then it looked like all the S1 and S2 suites were gone and this week I see suite guarantees again, but for a much higher price than I paid for mine, but of course you're going to get one of the better suites.

I guess it all depends on timing and what's available. I am really looking forward to Luminae and on such a port intensive cruise the extra room, plus the butler bringing me my morning latte as I get ready for the next excursion....can't wait!

Absolutely go for the Suite Guarantee!

The larger cabin and more storage will be appreciated. Dining in Luminae and having a butler are added bonuses. Keep in mind that you could be assigned to a Sky Suite that is handicap accessible. That cabin has more square footage and the bathroom accommodates a wheelchair.

Only Celebrity can tell you whether you get to keep your perks.

Please let us know what you decide AND what cabin you end up with if you go for the guarantee. Good Luck :)

Well, this may just all be a moot point. :mad: I didn't act immediately and now my sailing (10/15 on Equinox) isn't offering that amazingly priced suite gty. I'll keep watching it and act more quickly if that becomes available again. I still have an amazing veranda on the hump and will be spending almost three weeks travelling Europe! Can't complain!! :D

I so appreciate all the advice anyway!

S

I really appreciate the advice from you seasoned Celebrity cruisers!

Unlike some other cruise lines, X is pretty good about not putting suites in very noisy parts of the ship. So, it is unlikely that noise will be an issue with a suite guarantee. The only real issue is that some of the sky suites on S-class ships are a pretty long walk from the nearest elevator. The trade-off is that those suites have great views of the ship's wake. So the only question is whether the long walks are an issue for you.