Celebrity's pre-hotel in Vancouver?

stitchcreek

If we add on flights with Celebrity for our Alaska cruisetour, I understand we will fly in a day earlier from the UK and get put up in a hotel overnight - does anyone know which hotel this is likely to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we booked a few nights post-cruise, we were offered the Four Seasons and another hotel in the same area but the complimentary hotel is likely to be different [if it is the same as other ports]. You may not learn which hotel is to be allocated until close to the cruise and, I understand, it may change if allocated too early.

We have only once taken advantage of the complimentary hotel because we usually stay for more than one night and that was with Azamara but the hotel was excellent. It was one of the best we have ever stayed in anywhere.

Edited by Project_gal

If we add on flights with Celebrity for our Alaska cruisetour, I understand we will fly in a day earlier from the UK and get put up in a hotel overnight - does anyone know which hotel this is likely to be?

We have used flights from Celebrity to the US twice but we've always flown in two days earlier as an added safeguard against luggage not making it. We've also done our own hotels instead of the ones Celebrity offered but you could use their hotels as well. It's just two much of a worth about luggage not making it with us on a transatlantic flight and an extra day also helps us with the jet lag and also picking up our two bottles of wine.

Haven't used a Celebrity Hotel yet, but have stayed in Vancouver twice for departing cruises, both hotels were located close to the cruise terminal, had beautiful rooms and views, lovely pools and grounds, restaurants and prices you would expect to pay in a major city...I would check with Celebrity AND with the hotels directly. two I can personally vouch for:

1. Pan Pacific....literally across the street from the terminal. Views from the rooms are spectacular...restaurant really pricey but small food court across the street and walking down the embarcadero there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.

2. Westin Bay Shore....a little further away you could walk but probably wouldn't want to with luggage...beautiful grounds on Coal Harbor, I could stand on our balcony and watch sea planes landing and taking off...a nice restaurant in the hotel with very good food and dozens of restaurants to choose from within easy walking distance.

Neither has free airport pick-up (airport is about 30-40 minutes away) and I don't know if Bay Shore has free cruise service because I didn't need it.

Was thinking of the Pan Pacific if we do book ourselve

We were there when we did Alaska cruise....it's a beautiful hotel and you won't be disappointed...I had food poisoning when we got off the "ship that won't be named" and everyone at the hotel was just wonderful to me....they put me in a room at 7 a.m. and checked on me several times throughout the day. Fortunately I was better that night but we didn't try their restaurant because the menu was a little much for me so we went to a bagel place across the street, which was delicious. You can literally walk across the street to the terminal and if you want hints of things to do in Vancouver let me know. I've been there twice and spent a total of 10 days in the City, which is one of my favorites.

...and if you want hints of things to do in Vancouver let me know. I've been there twice and spent a total of 10 days in the City, which is one of my favorites.

Hydrokitty, we'll embark in Vancouver in 2017 and plan to arrive a few days in advance. I'd love to have your "hints of things to do" there, which give me a headstart on my research.

Thanks!

Betsy

Another vote for Pan Pacific. Stayed there pre cruise last year for three nights and staying again next month. You are literally at the terminal, bell boy will collect your luggage from your room and you next see it in your room on the ship.

Great service, great location, highly recommended.

Enjoy Vancouver, it is an awesome city.

Edited by Deeliteful

...and if you want hints of things to do in Vancouver let me know. I've been there twice and spent a total of 10 days in the City, which is one of my favorites.

Hydrokitty, we'll embark in Vancouver in 2017 and plan to arrive a few days in advance. I'd love to have your "hints of things to do" there, which give me a headstart on my research.

Thanks!

Betsy

Hi Betsy....happy to help...I love Vancouver! If you're at the Pan Pacific or Bay Shore take the all day Gray Line Tour to Victoria and Butchart Gardens. The ferry is about 2 hours each way and it's a beautiful ride through the San Juan islands on a huge ferry with a restaurant and comfortable places to sit or walk around. The Gardens are not to be missed and there's a nice little restaurant on the grounds where you can have lunch....and then you'll spend a couple of hours in Victoria which is gorgeous. I recommend Gray Line because they will pick you up at your hotel, take you on the early ferry and then bus you to Butchart, which is about 45 minutes ride from the ferry terminal and then bring you back to your hotel...worth the money....and you don't have to drive or park your rental car...also admission to Gardens is included.

If you like to mix nature and adventure I recommend Capilano Suspension Bridge, which is 400+ feet long and 230' high...it does sway depending on how many teens are on it...but when you get to the other side you walk on boardwalks through the canopy of the rain forest and it's just wonderful. I have a problem with heights so I slipped half a xanax with my coffee and was fine! IMHO this is also not to be missed. There's Grouse Mt., which you can also do on the same day you do Capilano..but if it's overcast don't waste your time. There's a skyride to the peak and the views are wonderful and quite a few demonstrations on lumberjacking and wild life. Across from Coal Harbor (if you're at the Westin Bay Shore) is Stanley Park....truly one of the most beautiful walking parks in the world. It has everything from totem poles to a little train and a cannon. Spend a couple of hours there and then head to Granville Island which if you've been to the market in Seattle is also a great place to browse, shop and eat. Fodor's and Frommer's both have books on Vancouver and Victoria, either one of which will give you much more information. As for restaurants, one thing that surprised me is that so many restaurants we earmarked in Fodor's were gone when we were there. I guess like most big cities restaurants turn over pretty quickly. The city is clean and very walkable if you have good legs. Walk around down town and see the steam clock too. You can contact me directly at chydro564@yahoo.com if you have questions.

Edited by Hydrokitty

If we want to stay more than one night would you recommend booking the hotel yourself?

Or can Celebrity do multiple nights?

You really have to decide on a case by case basis (and, I am afraid ignore anything Americans post on Cruise Critic - there system is very different). Also, in the UK, it is confusing.

Although most staff at Celebrity UK are not aware, they offer two types of booking: a traditional package and dynamic packages. The second is similar to using Celebrity like any other online booking agency - you book each element separately at the rate prevalent at the time and are committed to the purchase at time of booking. I will assume that you do not have his type of booking as you have a complimentary hotel included.

With a traditional package, as I am assuming you have, you may book 1, 2 or 3 days pre- and post-cruise. You will, however, not be able to take advantage of your complimentary hotel stay and receive no refund for it. However, in some places, you can still get an extremely good rate booking through Celebrity. I know we got an unbelievable good rate for the Four Seasons in Vancouver. We also usually get an excellent rate at the hotel we use in Fort Lauderdale. This can be particularly true at times when rates are high - holidays, Miami marathon, etc.

As well as the loss of your complimentary night, what you need to take into account when looking at prices is that, if you book flights, hotels and cruise through Celebrity transfers to and from the hotel are included in the price.

The other things to consider are convenience and flexibility. I may be more convenient to book everything through Celebrity - only you know what that is worth to you. You are not committed to your hotel booked through Celebrity until final payment date (again, later than in the USA) and do not pay up front. Flexible rates at hotels are sometimes more expensive that those where you pay up front. Finally, the hotels Celebrity use regularly are familiar with the routine. Staff will know when and where you will be picked-up, etc. There may even be a Celebrity representative at the hotel for a number of hours each day.

As I said, not an easy decision but ti is easy to get a price from Celebrity (once hotels have been loaded for your cruise) and check prices/hotel details online.

My husband and I love Vancouver. We stayed there pre-cruise for 2 nights when we sailed the Pacific Coast on the Millenium. Hands down, we would stay at the same hotel - The Loden - gets a great review on Trip Advisor. We were upgraded to a suite. The suite looked over the city, the mountains, and the harbor. They had a car service that took you anywhere you wanted to go. Would love to get back there.

We did the Capialano Suspension bridge - definitely a must. We ate at Cardero's in Coal Harbor - it was October but we had a vice of the ocean and snow on the mountains. Buchart Gardens is a must see also.

You really have to decide on a case by case basis (and, I am afraid ignore anything Americans post on Cruise Critic - there system is very different). Also, in the UK, it is confusing.

Although most staff at Celebrity UK are not aware, they offer two types of booking: a traditional package and dynamic packages. The second is similar to using Celebrity like any other online booking agency - you book each element separately at the rate prevalent at the time and are committed to the purchase at time of booking. I will assume that you do not have his type of booking as you have a complimentary hotel included.

With a traditional package, as I am assuming you have, you may book 1, 2 or 3 days pre- and post-cruise. You will, however, not be able to take advantage of your complimentary hotel stay and receive no refund for it. However, in some places, you can still get an extremely good rate booking through Celebrity. I know we got an unbelievable good rate for the Four Seasons in Vancouver. We also usually get an excellent rate at the hotel we use in Fort Lauderdale. This can be particularly true at times when rates are high - holidays, Miami marathon, etc.

As well as the loss of your complimentary night, what you need to take into account when looking at prices is that, if you book flights, hotels and cruise through Celebrity transfers to and from the hotel are included in the price.

The other things to consider are convenience and flexibility. I may be more convenient to book everything through Celebrity - only you know what that is worth to you. You are not committed to your hotel booked through Celebrity until final payment date (again, later than in the USA) and do not pay up front. Flexible rates at hotels are sometimes more expensive that those where you pay up front. Finally, the hotels Celebrity use regularly are familiar with the routine. Staff will know when and where you will be picked-up, etc. There may even be a Celebrity representative at the hotel for a number of hours each day.

As I said, not an easy decision but ti is easy to get a price from Celebrity (once hotels have been loaded for your cruise) and check prices/hotel details online.

Sue: We're sailing out of Southampton next year on a B2B and I'm planning on flying from US to Southampton....does what you described in your post apply to people going from US to UK as well? Should I book hotel with Celebrity UK or on my own? Hotel I was looking at is Holiday Inn.

We just booked a B2B on Infinity, Alaska and Pacific Coastal for Sept of 2017. I was looking at hotels and Pan Pacific and many others are already sold out 14 months in advance!! We only had 3 or 4 hotels to choose from on multiple sites.

Is this normal to sell out over a year in advance in Vancouver? We booked the Executive Hotel Vintage Park. It offers free bicycles and free shuttle to pier. Anyone know about this hotel? Where does one eat close by? Buy wine? Best way to get from airport to hotel with three adults with luggage :eek: ?

Thanks in advance. :):)

There are 2 amazing gardens in Vancouver city - VanDusen Botanical Garden and Queen Elizabeth Park. Both parks you can do in 1 day and close to each other. You can do the Grouse mountain zip line lots of fun and then take a bus to Lynn Creek canyon suspension bridge and not as crowded as Capilano and on top its Free. Lots of nice hikes in Lynn Canyon.

BTW, its rains a lot in Vancouver so plan for rain :)

There are 2 amazing gardens in Vancouver city - VanDusen Botanical Garden and Queen Elizabeth Park. Both parks you can do in 1 day and close to each other. You can do the Grouse mountain zip line lots of fun and then take a bus to Lynn Creek canyon suspension bridge and not as crowded as Capilano and on top its Free. Lots of nice hikes in Lynn Canyon.

BTW, its rains a lot in Vancouver so plan for rain :)

You know I have never seen rain in Vancouver....but I know you're right!:D

<snip>Is this normal to sell out over a year in advance in Vancouver? We booked the Executive Hotel Vintage Park. It offers free bicycles and free shuttle to pier. Anyone know about this hotel? Where does one eat close by? Buy wine? Best way to get from airport to hotel with three adults with luggage :eek: ?

Because of the property boom in Vancouver and limited sites for development, hotel development hasn't kept up with demand in downtown Vancouver. The prices and availability, particularly during the peak summer months reflect the ugliness of that.

You're about a 10 minute walk from Yaletown which has a slew of modern mid to higher end restaurants. There are also a number of cheaper eateries and restuarants in the opposite direction west along Davie street. North along Granville street is the entertainment district with a number of pubs and lounges. South across the Granville Street Bridge (or via aquabus) is Granville Island which is a nice way to spend a sunny afternoon visiting the public market.

There's a government liquor store in Yaletown also. If you want more unique items, you might want to go to the government liquor store closer to the Convention Centre along Alberni. It's a "signature" store which carries more unique items.

If you're ok hauling your luggage a bit, you can take the metro along the Canada Line from the airport to Yaletown station. The trains are designed for travellers with luggage in mind. However, it is about 10 minute walk from the Yaletown station to that hotel according to Google maps. The fare is about $9 a person (there's an airport surcharge).

Alternatively, taxis have a set rate from YVR to different zones around the city. It's $31 to downtown so it might be better to grab a taxi if there's three of you and all of you plus your luggage can fit into a taxi.

(No Uber in Vancouver yet.)

We just booked a B2B on Infinity, Alaska and Pacific Coastal for Sept of 2017. I was looking at hotels and Pan Pacific and many others are already sold out 14 months in advance!! We only had 3 or 4 hotels to choose from on multiple sites.

Is this normal to sell out over a year in advance in Vancouver? We booked the Executive Hotel Vintage Park. It offers free bicycles and free shuttle to pier. Anyone know about this hotel? Where does one eat close by? Buy wine? Best way to get from airport to hotel with three adults with luggage :eek: ?

Last time we were 4 adults and luggage for 2 weeks...IMHO the best thing is to go on line and hire a car...it takes 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and cost us $150 Canadian for a private car for a stretch limo including the driver gratuity. I booked it on line and paid with my Capital One card which converted to about $120 US. I'm surprised Pan Pacific is fully booked....it's huge...they do a lot of conventions so that could be problem. The other hotel we used is Westin Bay Shore, in Coal Harbor, which is about 1/2 mile from the Pan on the harbor walk, which is easily as nice as the Pan and in an area that is loaded with restaurants. Not familiar with Vintage Park, sorry.

We've stayed there a few nights. It is a great property. Views, proximity to Stanley Park (within walking distance) and a great on-sight restaurant. Book it!

Vancouver is beautiful. Have a great trip! :)

Cheers,

Catherine

Edited by edgewoman04

We ate at Cardero's in Coal Harbor - it was October but we had a vice of the ocean and snow on the mountains. Buchart Gardens is a must see also.

Thank you for the recommendation. We want to try it in September. Any particular dish recommendations? Thanks.