Whisper WC.1 Ft.L. To Callao/Lima

duct tape

Howdy, folks. I know this is very belated but life gets in your way when you have made other plans. The gala dinner at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami prior to sailing was evidently a big WC Reunion. We boarded on the 5th in glorious sunshine and calm seas. Ship is just about full. Lots of solos so there is much mingling and meeting. Crew appeared happy to see lots of familiar faces and immediately tried to name people who weren't so familiar to them. Very festive sail away. The numbers I have been given are inconsistent but it will get straightened. >315 people, about 213 Venetians, 201/195 WCers depending to whom you speak. My list says 195. Unfortunately, we have already debarked 2 couples. One of them will be back in Auckland.

First port was Key West, always a crowd pleaser.

2 days @ sea. We rounded the west end of Cuba. Lectures began in earnest. We had Prof Jaime Castillo, archeologist, anthropologist, speaking about pre-Columbian civilizations and the Andes. We were fortunate enough to travel with him last year. Lots of great history. Everyone was very happy to see David Bilsland aboard. We know there will be lots of demos, market visits, fun meals with Lunch 'n Learn. Our destination Lecturer is the very popular and entertaining Jon Fleming. Don't know how he does this every year and still makes it interesting to him, as well as U.S.! His wife, Tracy, is lecturing on photography as well as doing iPad classes. The internet SUCKS and she is a welcome addition.

I do think that is the plan, Wes.

In Puerto Limon we had a nice pontoon boat ride thru the Tortuguero Canals. Lots of interesting and beautiful birds, sloth, monkeys and crocs. Lunch at Le Cameleon Hotel accompanied by a demo and tasting of artisan chocolate by the maker, a young couple trying to make their way in the jungle.

Venetian Night, lots of people and lots of days.

We spent the next day transiting the Panama Canal. It is still a wonder and an attention getter no matter how many times you have been through! Michael Buerk lecture, David demo and the singers show, Caliente.

Team Trivia is packed, daily, 10 teams 8 each.